Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Good point! It should certainly be possible, I'd think. But the group threads seem to use an out-dated version of the site's code. You can't highlight text to quote it, you don't see the same info on the poster, etc. The social groups, I suspect, were mostly unused before I made those two groups. If you look at the groups home and sort by activity the monthly challenge groups are by far the busiest. I'll attach your comment to the thread I'm having with Adam in the suggestions area.
Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for passing on my comment. I know it doesn't address everyone's concerns ,but, more options/tools can't hurt.

03-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
You've got a good point there, Bruce.
And thanks Michael, for passing it to Adam.

btw, Michael, you are now a moderator on the Flickr group.
03-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WWIFA Quote
Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for passing on my comment. I know it doesn't address everyone's concerns ,but, more options/tools can't hurt.
Well Adam said "no". 8^/

Though he is turning on the select-to-quote thing, happily.

QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
btw, Michael, you are now a moderator on the Flickr group.
Power, at last!
03-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #229
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Power, at last!
LOL, use it wisely

03-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #230
Veteran Member

I like the idea of one thread per day with all participants posting in it. Seems like a simple way to contain the chaos. Same as it is currently in the Extras group.
03-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
I like the idea of one thread per day with all participants posting in it. Seems like a simple way to contain the chaos. Same as it is currently in the Extras group.
That sounds like a workable option. If I take part again (and I suspect this will be more of an every other month thing for me), I would prefer to be able to be involved within the Forum. Having such a thread would not preclude involvement in either a flickr group or building an album since neither option seems to fit all.

-Joe
03-23-2011, 05:38 AM   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exactly, I thought this was the idea originally, it's very workable and contains the days (threads will still stay active with guys like me who tend to bulk process and post several days at once) it'd certainly make commenting and following comments much easier, then it doesn't matter where the pics originate (galleries, Flickr, Photobucket whatever your fancy)

03-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Look, I can make it much more simple:

We each post a photo for one day in that days thread, and no comments allowed.

It'll save a lot of typing.
03-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Exactly, I thought this was the idea originally, it's very workable and contains the days (threads will still stay active with guys like me who tend to bulk process and post several days at once) it'd certainly make commenting and following comments much easier, then it doesn't matter where the pics originate (galleries, Flickr, Photobucket whatever your fancy)
I haven't participated in the Single in MONTH events before because I wasn't sure if I could devote enough time to it, but I've enjoyed looking at others' work. So I'm commenting from the point of view of a potential participant in the future.

I agree with Voytech and Eddie in this. I don't have a Flickr account and don't want to get one because I already have a pro Zenfolio account as well a self-hosted website where I can load as many photos as I want. If SINGLE IN... was organized with a thread a day, that would make life easier for participants and observers alike. Participants with photo storage options other than Flickr wouldn't be handicapped, and those whose Albums on PF were filling up could choose whatever storage they preferred. Observers could go to one place to enjoy and comment on the photos.
03-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I haven't participated in the Single in MONTH events before because I wasn't sure if I could devote enough time to it, but I've enjoyed looking at others' work. So I'm commenting from the point of view of a potential participant in the future.

I agree with Voytech and Eddie in this. I don't have a Flickr account and don't want to get one because I already have a pro Zenfolio account as well a self-hosted website where I can load as many photos as I want. If SINGLE IN... was organized with a thread a day, that would make life easier for participants and observers alike. Participants with photo storage options other than Flickr wouldn't be handicapped, and those whose Albums on PF were filling up could choose whatever storage they preferred. Observers could go to one place to enjoy and comment on the photos.
Welcome to the discussion. I spent quite a bit of time futsing around with the album upload tool yesterday and found it slow, error-prone, and liable to store photos in odd order. I'd happily do without that overhead and stick with my own account and/or flickr.

So .. it sounds like concensus is forming around the use of one thread per day in the main challenges forum. I'm game.
03-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #236
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At first I thought that was the idea too, when Torben (Zorglub) said he didn't want to make an album, But than it turned out he posted his pictures in the group.
Are there more people in for 1 thread per day?

@Jack, don't know about the no comment stuff, because that is part of the fun, but without them it would be a lot easier to look at.

The Flickr Single Challenges is still there and I think we have to keep it there, for those who want to upload their shots from Flickr. And if you feel it's not a shot worthy of showing to the whole world, let it stay private, submit it to the group there anyway and only the members of that group can see it.
03-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #237
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I will upload to flickr anyway and it's automated so easier than here, i'll post from there to the daily thread. one less step and way easier to follow than 17 or so threads and then the albums that don't have threads.....you get the idea
it was easy to track with the smaller numbers but we seem to be attracting more participants so this should simplify it. Whoever puts up the SIA challenge needs to amend the rules to reflect where the pics go so it's clear to everyone
Who will start the daily thread? (maybe someone should make them for the whole month at the beginning as placeholders then we can all just go to the day as it passes in our part of the world (otherwise the Aussies will make every daily thread since they are usually the first up on any given day)
03-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #238
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been trying to stay out of this discussion and I really still want to. I think my basic preference is that we all do things the same way. My preference is that we stay posting on this forum, yes I have a flickr site but I think this game should stay here. I've created my own sets on flickr of my efforts just to memorialize them. I've enjoyed the albums and would like to keep doing it that way. However, clearly these will run out of room for some or all of us as the year goes by. Doing the 1 thread per day seems like a good way to go, or a group, or whatever.
03-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #239
Veteran Member

Original Poster
. I spent quite a bit of time futsing around with the album upload tool yesterday and found it slow, error-prone, and liable to store photos in odd order. I'd happily do without that overhead and stick with my own account and/or flickr.
I have to switch to FireFox when I want to upload a picture in the album, in Safari it's almost no doable.
The only thing I really like in the album is the overview and that gets a bit lost in the group thread.
03-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
I have to switch to FireFox when I want to upload a picture in the album
I was using FF on a Mac.