Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
Oh, and Karen, what's the theme for this week? Colorful?
Yes, this week the submissions for the group have to make everyone happy who's in need of colour.

Last edited by KarenH; 02-21-2011 at 02:37 PM.
02-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
You're not obligated to do an extra theme, Jeff.
If you don't want, just don't. Shoot whatever comes in sight.
KarenH, I am in complete agreement of what you stated.
The way I see it is that IF themes are proposed (however that may be deemed) folks should feel free to follow them if they feel it is right, adequate to their gear but you do not have to follow the themes in general. just take a picture a day for the full month. Go solo with your chosen lens.
My personal experience in three + 12 days of a challenge that changesd into a whole month affair, is that some extra ideas might come in handy at some point. And hey, there is always something to learn from a different way to interpret your world.

I personally find that the theme might help in looking for further ways of capturing an image or trying out new photographic techniques (both technical or analytical), if you need that. But it is not a requirement to follow.

I find these challenges an exercise in personal endurance, learning your equipment, and expanding your photographic understanding.
So what ever comes before we begin.
As for suggestions for this month,
Night
Action/Motion

Just my thoughts, Jools.
02-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

i'm not sure i'll join this time, i'm still shooting every day with the goal of doing a 365 like voytech but i'm thinking of doing march on a film camera, maybe my Bronica (would be the new mamiya but it needs a CLA before it'll be useful)
if not the Bronica perhaps a rangefinder (which would likely be with one lens just not pentax.)
We'll see, if i catch up on my developing i'll go this route, if not i'll be in here probably with the old Lentar m42 21 f3.8 i just bought from a forum member that should be here in time for march
02-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Good luck, eddie1960, your plan sounds interesting.
I think we will miss your offerings.
Good deal. I will keep an eye for your images from rangefinder or Bronica.
I myself am remiss in developing and this month have added.

02-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
Or is it your evil twin that joined my group?
What and Where is that group Karen?
02-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pdophoto Quote
What and Where is that group Karen?
It's on Flickr. Every week we've got a new theme/challenge, to make people think outside their comfort zone. And to have fun of course. We're a small group, so it's very personal and we all are learning from each other.
If you've got a Flickr account and you like it, press the join the group button and I'll let you in, Pierre.
02-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #22
pbo
Veteran Member

I would like to participate in Single in March - sounds like a lot of fun!
Can I use non-pentax camera and non-pentax lens?

02-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
I would like to participate in Single in March - sounds like a lot of fun!
Can I use non-pentax camera and non-pentax lens?
Bronica ETR perhaps?

I was thinking of spending march on film, the processing would make it hard for me to keep up with posting which is why i'll probably opt out ( though the mamiya super 23 i wanted to shoot needs to go in for a serious CLA so i may be back in or shoot my ETRSi
02-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #24
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Bronica ETR perhaps?

I was thinking of spending march on film, the processing would make it hard for me to keep up with posting which is why i'll probably opt out ( though the mamiya super 23 i wanted to shoot needs to go in for a serious CLA so i may be back in or shoot my ETRSi
No, I was planning on using my recently acquired rangefinder (a Bessa-R with Ultron 35mm lens). I find it very convenient to just carry around (more convenient than DSLR and definitely more convenient than a medium format SLR) and thus great for the "one picture a day" purpose - and the pictures look great, too (my most recent ones on flickr).

Maybe some other month I'll try using Koni-Omega 6x7 rangefinder - though it's very, very heavy - probably on par with your Mamiya. Also, it had terrible light leaks which I patched up myself, but haven't yet seen the results after my "CLA" haha.
02-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
No, I was planning on using my recently acquired rangefinder (a Bessa-R with Ultron 35mm lens). I find it very convenient to just carry around (more convenient than DSLR and definitely more convenient than a medium format SLR) and thus great for the "one picture a day" purpose - and the pictures look great, too (my most recent ones on flickr).

Maybe some other month I'll try using Koni-Omega 6x7 rangefinder - though it's very, very heavy - probably on par with your Mamiya. Also, it had terrible light leaks which I patched up myself, but haven't yet seen the results after my "CLA" haha.
my mamiya issues stem from the shutter it's terribly slow at releasing though the speeds aren't bad. beyond a home CLA. the back needs new seals as well and rf needs alignment. The Bessa is a great little camera
RFF needs a Single in competition i think
mind you half the people there only use one lens anyway as the second costs so much
i was scoping out some bessa's the other day but have to put my GAS on hold for a bit
Still think the hard part would be keeping up with the processing on film to submit
(i thought about my fed with the jupiter 12 as the daily camera as well, the bronica and the mamiya are a bit beastly to haul around for a month)
02-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #26
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
i was scoping out some bessa's the other day but have to put my GAS on hold for a bit
I know what you mean! But I bought this one at a pretty good price - I think the lens alone was worth more (of course, nowI can't help looking at all sorts of Industars, Elmars, Summitars, and other screwmount stuff).

QuoteQuote:
Still think the hard part would be keeping up with the processing on film to submit
Well, maybe just submit several from one roll for different days of the month is what I thought. Not quite cheating! More like, special circumstances of shooting film...

QuoteQuote:
my mamiya issues stem from the shutter it's terribly slow at releasing though the speeds aren't bad. beyond a home CLA. the back needs new seals as well and rf needs alignment
For such old cameras, those issues are pretty inevitable. My Koni works fine (knock on wood!), but I can totally see how things can whack out of alignment in that mechanical beast.
02-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

the shutter right now is like an unpredictable self timer it slowly winds down stops a second then releases the shutter randomly lol not a street machine at this point but i guess i could do tripod mounted landscapes
02-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I may be wrong here, but I was of the impression that the group idea is for Pentax shooting.

I believe, personally, that should be. Sorry, no intent to offend.
02-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I may be wrong here, but I was of the impression that the group idea is for Pentax shooting.

I believe, personally, that should be. Sorry, no intent to offend.
i believe you are right Bramela
which is why i might not do march so i can use some of my other gear
it also gives us a chance to compare lens performance in real world terms from someone else like voytechs great lens this month
02-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #30
pbo
Veteran Member

Wait, group idea? I was talking about Single in March...