Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Challenge #40- Down By The Station -- Winner

Manel: Interesting take. I had actually forgotten that I had so much of the next door building. I actually made several shots with a few different lenses. I like the way you toned down the exposure some to bring out details in the adjacent building (don't know if that's why but that's the effect). I see that you also lit up the inside some and found the 2nd floor mural. Nicely done.

Tamia: Yours makes me think of those insurance commercials reminding us that most insurance policies don't carry flood insurance. From all of your hiking photos, I kind of consider you a master of the water shots and see that you brought some of it here. I like the way the reflections are playing in the ripples of the water but I must admit, it scares me a little as most of my area is a flood zone. Still well played.

Dr Orloff: One of my favorite things to do is look at old slides from my childhood. Many of them are shot on Ektachrome and have lost some of their color luster. That's what this take reminds me of. As if it could have been taken at the time when the adjacent passenger station was still in full use. I do kind of wish though that you had carried the effect into the sky.

ovim: I'm always a fan of a good black and white conversion. Yours is no exception. You've managed to keep the highlights without blowing anything out as well as retain the shadow details (where they exist). It's something I've yet to master to my own satisfaction. Nicely done.

BigDave: I like the effort (and the 2nd floor occupant ) but would have liked it more if not for the cloning traces on the upper left in the sky. Removing the building on the left gives it a completely different look that is interesting to me. I've often wondered what possessed people to build things so close together.

Atupdate (Tim): That's just plain crazy. I see that you mirrored the fence to box in the property. Great idea and one I probably would not have thought of in removing the left side building. One of these days before I sell it, I'll have ot take my Spiratone 8mm down there to see how close this really is to that type of photo. Fun interpretation you've given us.

jmschrei (Joe): I'm glad somebody found and noted the mural. One of the fun things I like to do is take photos like this and try to see what's inside (not in a sick peeping Jeff sort of way though). I don't think the blue frame does anything for me though.

LisaR: I forget what that process was called but it's something I always wanted to try. Your take has kind of an old postcard feel to it that I like. Nicely done.

Ash: .................Willy and the Poorboys are playin', Bring a nickel; tap your feet. Rooster hits the washboard and people just got to smile, Blinky, thumps the gut bass and solos for a while. Poorboy twangs the rhythm out on his kalamazoo, Willy goes into a dance and doubles on kazoo.
One of the first CCR songs I can remember ever hearing. Given the time that song was released, the imagery fits. I've never been on one but if I had ever taken an acid trip, this is what I would imagine it starting as. Thank you for playing.

slowpez (Susan): All is forgiven, no need to mention it further. I like how you've brought out some of the color here. It's a go one way or the other type of photo and your translation demonstrates what I've grown to love about this medium of digital photography. Nicely done.

landscaped1: This is probably one of the most natural as it was conversions here. Well done.

Designosophy: Quite interesting. Like LisaRs' submission this is something I always wanted to try. I have the film and know what I would do with it but have never done it. Even as an illustration, nicely done.

Well, There it is. I thank all of you for participating and so no one goes away empty handed (sorry, no lenses to hand out for the prize), each of you will receive rep points from me. Until a month or so ago, that was worth 9 or 10 points but now it's only worth 1 so, blame the staff if it isn't enough .

I have been trying to pick a winner for the last two days and have a decision now. I'm not going to list runners up because I think you all brought something special to the challenge and each is unique.

The one that for some reason had the most eye appeal to me was LisaR s submission.

I'm passing the torch to you Lisa. Hope you are able to give us a challenge for #41.

Last edited by JeffJS; 03-05-2011 at 08:55 AM.
03-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to Lisa. When I first saw the contest image I wasn't sure how much variation we we see in post processing. A fair bit more than I expected. I'm looking forward to seeing what Lisa has to offer us to play with.

Tim
03-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations LisaR! Thanks for the challenge and the comments Jeff. It was nice to have a different type of subject to work with but I wish I had more processing skills (or rather patience to learn how to use the programs I do have).
-Joe
03-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations LisaR -- I love that rustic border, which suits the subject. Thanks for your comments and for a fun project, Jeff.

03-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats Lisa. Wonderful job. You really captured the feel of the photo. And Jeff, you spent a lot of time judging and did a great job. Thanks.
03-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Forum Member

thanks everyone!!

Now to figure out the image to post for the next one..I will get something up today
03-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats Lisa, well done.

Thanks Jeff for setting this one, judging and comment.

See you on the next challenge.

03-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Congratulations, Lisa!
03-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well done Lisa and good job Jeff
03-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The person I chose as the winner for this challenge has asked to be let out of hosting the next challenge. Would anyone else who participated care to take on the task?

If not, I will or ask the general PF public but I would like someone who participated to take it on.

03-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is there any update regarding Challenge #41?
03-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeS Quote
Is there any update regarding Challenge #41?
None. I was actually waiting for this thread to fall off the front page before setting one up myself to get it back on track. I think it did but if you care to take it up, you're welcome to do so. Just let me know.

03-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah come on MikeS, lets get this rolling again
03-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
MikeS has taken up the challenge of getting this game back on track. You can find his thread here..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/13845...ouse-hill.html

Thank you very much Mike (and to everyone who participated in #40)..