Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
k20D + 2x-S + DA 300mm

I was too tired to set up the K1000mm but it was very clear (for Baltimore) so I figured I had to give it a shot. If I can't sharpen, I won't crop ;~)

Oh, ok, here's a processed version (but I still wont crop--we're talking 150' above sea-level and I miss my K-5)

Last edited by dadipentak; 03-20-2011 at 05:58 AM.
03-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #17
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Looks a lot like mine.

Yours is tilted (as compared to mine )
03-20-2011, 04:50 AM   #18
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Oops, I didn't read that far. No pp huh? I guess I'm going to have to remove my entry.
Bigger Oops! Just re-read what Ole wrote and I'm pretty sure he was just saying his photo didn't have any pp ... not that all of the photos posted should be unprocessed! ...LOL! And I just deleted my submission. Where did those edit history links go? I could have retrieved my post from that. I guess Adam removed them.
I did not intend to prevent post processing - just go ahead and pp to your heart's delight.

I just made a note of the fact that I hadn't post processed (or I would have removed the color fringe) since I'm away from home and don't have access to Photoshop.
03-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

nice shot fellas. I was a bit disappointed since I forgot about the time and came out a lil bit late. I went out around past 8 pm last night and saw the moon when it was positioned around the same time just above the horizon. I should had gone at around 7 pm when the moon was at it's peak size sitting along the horizon. it was huge alright but I can only imagine how much bigger it was before I saw it. I guess I have to wait another 18 more years to see one or atleast go somewhere/someplace else where it can be seen bigger.

03-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #20

It was to much haze to get any good details of the moon, but at least i got this
03-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
nice shot fellas. I was a bit disappointed since I forgot about the time and came out a lil bit late. I went out around past 8 pm last night and saw the moon when it was positioned around the same time just above the horizon. I should had gone at around 7 pm when the moon was at it's peak size sitting along the horizon. it was huge alright but I can only imagine how much bigger it was before I saw it. I guess I have to wait another 18 more years to see one or atleast go somewhere/someplace else where it can be seen bigger.
The moon doesn't change size from any sort of magnification from the air actually. Only or perception of its size changes when it is near the horizon. You can prove this out by just overlaying the moom from your view with a pencile erasure or your out stretched pinky nail; note how both @ the horizon & up in the sky are both the same. Or you can take a photo of it just above the horizon, and in the middle of the sky, and crop both photos to the exact size of the moon. They'll be the just about the same size give or take a little margin of cropping error. You'll find thousands of articles in the google machine like http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/831/why-does-the-moon-appear-bigger-near-the-horizon
All this is only to say if you missed the moon rise, you didn't miss a 'larger' moon, as it's the same size everywhere in the sky. And it certainly wasn't at max brightness near the horizon. That is affected by the extra air, and is many EV levels dimmer than it was when fully up in the sky. As a matter of fact, all my photos near the horizon also suffered sever & thick lateral CA in a form normal CA removal in Lightroom couldn't get rid of in the manner it removes it, so those photos were full losses for me.

Last edited by m8o; 03-20-2011 at 12:08 PM.
03-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #22
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorwegianViking Quote
It was to much haze to get any good details of the moon, but at least i got this
that's the kind of landscape terrain + moon combo shot I wish I could have taken. Gorgeous.

03-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that's the kind of landscape terrain + moon combo shot I wish I could have taken. Gorgeous.
Yes--terrific, NorwegianViking!
03-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done, great eye!
03-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
Here are two from my K-x.

First one - M200-F4 f/11,1/125,200 iso
Second - DA L 55-300mm f/11,1/125,200 iso

03-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The moon doesn't change size from any sort of magnification from the air actually. Only or perception of its size changes when it is near the horizon. You can prove this out by just overlaying the moom from your view with a pencile erasure or your out stretched pinky nail; note how both @ the horizon & up in the sky are both the same. Or you can take a photo of it just above the horizon, and in the middle of the sky, and crop both photos to the exact size of the moon. They'll be the just about the same size give or take a little margin of cropping error. You'll find thousands of articles in the google machine like The Straight Dope: Why does the moon appear bigger near the horizon?
All this is only to say if you missed the moon rise, you didn't miss a 'larger' moon, as it's the same size everywhere in the sky. And it certainly wasn't at max brightness near the horizon. That is affected by the extra air, and is many EV levels dimmer than it was when fully up in the sky. As a matter of fact, all my photos near the horizon also suffered sever & thick lateral CA in a form normal CA removal in Lightroom couldn't get rid of in the manner it removes it, so those photos were full losses for me.
what I know is that the moon revolves around the earth on it's axis and this somehow is time and distance specific related, not necessarily magnification but location and distance, as far as my knowledge about it goes. although since I haven't been able to do a lot of these things yet, I may have to read the articles all about it. thanks for the info btw.
03-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Doesn't look like I'll get a second chance. I found a nice mountain spot to catch it rising over that around 10:00PM tonight but there is cloud cover over the mountains right now and it doesn't look thin enough.
03-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member

3 days in a row here for cloud cover

No chance for a super moon shot for me this time around. I can wait another 18 years or so and by that time I will have a K.0000031 and some Z* series lenses to shoot it with from the deck of the shuttle that I will charter for world pentax day 2029. I'm currently taking reservations for this trip, pm me if you are interested!
03-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of great shots of the moon here, but I really like this photo, Viking. Very moody and striking.
03-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Couple from my side -