Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to everyone, the new format is working very well, and now none of us have any excuses for not commenting! I was able to go through the new photos, and make a few comments and it only took 15minutes!

Cheers from Jack.

04-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first time in one of these.

I joined. How do I apply the captures if the EXIF data does not match the date?

I am going over in a few to add a couple so I may self answer that question.
04-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
strange indeed.....
So...just what are you sayin' Rense.
04-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #199
Pentaxian

I know this might sound a little early to be thinking about May, but as I was walking about this am for shots I had an idea to possibly change things up a little next month.

I was thinking how, with digital, it's so easy to take a somewhat halfhearted attempt at a shot, preview it, then change things and shoot and shoot again. But what if we only had one shot? Sort of a "make it count" challenge. One shot, good or bad, posted. Like you had the last roll of Kodachrome.

There's obviously no policing going on, so it would be an honor system thing, but there could be some variations and all are welcome to chime in with ideas or to pan it altogether.

Possibilities:
Choose any lens each day, but your first shot is the one posted
Choose one lens as above, but stick with it for as many days as the individual photog feels is needed to get the shot desired on the first go.
No cropping, do it with your feet or perhaps minimal crop?
PPing - straight out of camera, minimal, any that's needed, what about B/W - in camera monochrome setting or in PP? many possibilities here.

Lots of other things could be considered, but the idea would be a back to basics approach to the month. I know I sometimes get a little lazy and feel I'll just fix the shot in post if needed, but we didn't have that option with film unless we "rolled our own" so to speak.

Thoughts? Stupid idea...just get back to shooting John? If any are interested or think it'd be interesting, I'll create a thread for it a little later this month where we can discuss and settle on the details. If no real interest we can just let it die a peaceful death, burried in this thread.

04-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #200
Inactive Account

I actually kind of like the idea. I can't simply Just Do one shot per day but I could certainly say, Good, Bad, or indifferent, THIS is the photo I'm going to use before taking the shot. Then try my damnedest to get it right the first time. If we continue the linked album idea, it would at least have to be resized but could be shown with no other processing.

04-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I actually kind of like the idea. I can't simply Just Do one shot per day but I could certainly say, Good, Bad, or indifferent, THIS is the photo I'm going to use before taking the shot. Then try my damnedest to get it right the first time. If we continue the linked album idea, it would at least have to be resized but could be shown with no other processing.

Yeah, the idea isn't to only shoot one shot per day total, just like the Single in... doesn't prohibit you from shooting with other lenses, they just don't count for the challenge. As to the resizing, yes that would have to be done, and because of that I have no problems with a little sharpening after the resize, since that typically causes issues with sharpness that aren't in the original.

And by all means, we can discuss how much pping would be allowed. Just looking for a general level of interest, not the specifics right now.
04-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #202
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like this idea too.

And I just wanted to say "April 3 - what an awesome collection of shots"

We gotta do a book this month.

04-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Yeah, the idea isn't to only shoot one shot per day total, just like the Single in... doesn't prohibit you from shooting with other lenses, they just don't count for the challenge. As to the resizing, yes that would have to be done, and because of that I have no problems with a little sharpening after the resize, since that typically causes issues with sharpness that aren't in the original.

And by all means, we can discuss how much pping would be allowed. Just looking for a general level of interest, not the specifics right now.
I rather like the idea. I have a small challenge of my own going on, where I only get three trys to get it right. This makes me think, much more, before the shot, thats for sure. Maybe, my camera will survive longer too with less clicks on it):
04-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #204
Veteran Member

If that's the case, I may as well do the month on film... Gotta think about it.
04-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #205
Veteran Member

Yes John, go back to shooting!!!
Don't know about your idea, April just started and I think I'll skip on May, but it's too early to seriously think about it.
And I like the way the linked pictures are working, easy peasy.(if you get it working)
04-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #206
Inactive Account

Well John, I like the idea, but I reckon it should be a separate challenge.

Too many of us have walked the ricepaper to attain, or aspire to, our Single robes! The Single concept has merit, and far from curing LBA (he says with a grin..I've enough lenses on hand to cover a few more challenges anyway!), I'm relearning my old habits of film photography.

I'd become complacent with a point and shoot (let the camera think) Canon 'till I bought the
K-x early last year, now I'm remembering .. metering .. then stopping down or up .. etc etc etc!

So, the idea is good, but a separate challenge for those who wish! And it may produce surprising and laughable results...but we're all mates here!

Cheers Paddy

P.S. You're shout cobber!
04-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #207
Inactive Account

Well...it's usually the simplest things...I've posted and the link works...what a drongo!

Cheers Paddy
04-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #208
Veteran Member

I'll have to think about the variations for next month. Will get back to you on that.

Also wanted to mention that the new system works like a charm.
It's like a drive-thru but with no waiting. Quick and painless to view and comment.
I did have some trouble early on learning how link the images but thanks to JeffJS, Rense and jheu02, I was able to get the handle.
Good deal to all.
04-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The idea is interesting but probably wont work well for me unless its a month of dog shots most days i cant plan for the shot due to other commitments and rely on the walk home to find something interesting
Its hard enough with the one lens some days and i do pretty much stick to the one trying to find ways to make it fit all situations
And plus one to jools comment on how well the thread is working
Now if i could just find time to process my shots (todays will be from a silent film fest presentatipn at a castle)
Night all
04-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #210
Pentaxian

Uuh, have been travelling for a while again, sorry for late updates