Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Tonight I post the 3-6th as i will have some time once i'm home
so you aren't the only one posting late. getting a picture taken is becoming the easy [part for me, getting on the computer and pp and posting is the hard part. Gotta say I'm loving the threads though makes commenting a snap, and viewing a day easy. I think this idea has worked out it's bugs.

04-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #212
Pentaxian

I'm having a hard time to post a picture with active link...gotta learn it now.
04-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a couple of comments/questions here one that's been bothering me and the other about this format.

Format - things appear to have settled down now and it appears that the current format is working with albums and daily thread as well as those of us on flickr. While flickr works very fast for me the thread/album deal isn't far behind. It's still a daunting task to keep up one one or the other and just silly on both pf and flickr. My comment is that I'm focusing on flickr posting and only occasionally on the albums for those that don't post on flickr. Hope that's ok. I'm trying to keep the comments ups. It is a struggle though.

Exif data - some people's show up some don't. I'm puzzled as to why mine doesn't show. I use either CS3 or Lightroom 2.7. Is there some switch/option or whatever that I need to set to get that to upload to my album post? Anyone help here because I've looked and have not found some setting that I haven't set to allow the exif data to be retained and viewable. Help?
04-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote

Exif data - some people's show up some don't. I'm puzzled as to why mine doesn't show. I use either CS3 or Lightroom 2.7. Is there some switch/option or whatever that I need to set to get that to upload to my album post? Anyone help here because I've looked and have not found some setting that I haven't set to allow the exif data to be retained and viewable. Help?

I use PhotoShop 6 so your situation may be different. Another member posted a reply that said if you resize and save as, instead of save for web, that the EXIF data would be retained. Thus far that has worked for me, both with Pentax and an older Canikon shot that I posted.

04-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #215
Pentaxian

My comment is that I'm focusing on flickr posting and only occasionally on the albums for those that don't post on flickr. Hope that's ok. I'm trying to keep the comments ups. It is a struggle though.
The purpose of the thread with the photo link was to be a "one-stop-shopping" for viewing the photos. That way, it doesn't really matter where you host your album, by clicking on the photo, we're directed to it to comment. This is so far the easiest method we've tried in the Single in... challenges. So, you shouldn't really need an album on PF of your April shots, as long as you're linking the daily thread photo back to your flickr album.
04-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #216
Veteran Member

It seems to me that where one links one's image is where one expects the bulk of the comments. So wherever seems good to me.

The good thing is that this format is as jheu02 says "one-stop-shopping" and one can easilly return to if new images are posted after a certain time.

I do feel that posting on PF and flickr can seem redundant.
But I like it so.
For one, I can post images to folks in my circle of friends and family (flickr) who are not pentaxian bound.
But also posting on PF, it allows for image footprint or record of what a specific lens can produce over a month. I feel that others may find this helpful in the future or as long as PF remains.
I certainly have found this beneficial in my LBA when looking through a month-long series of images with a specific lens is a big plus as any lens review. The proof is in the pudding so to speak.
04-06-2011, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #217
Inactive Account

I have a couple of comments/questions here one that's been bothering me and the other about this format.

Format - things appear to have settled down now and it appears that the current format is working with albums and daily thread as well as those of us on flickr. While flickr works very fast for me the thread/album deal isn't far behind. It's still a daunting task to keep up one one or the other and just silly on both pf and flickr. My comment is that I'm focusing on flickr posting and only occasionally on the albums for those that don't post on flickr. Hope that's ok. I'm trying to keep the comments ups. It is a struggle though.

CS3 and Lightroom 2.7 should be saving Exif data. If any of your images are uploaded in larger than 1024 on the longest part, it will be stripped of exif. I keep all of my album photos at 1023 or less for just that reason.

04-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jeff, I'll give the resizing a try. I'm clearly larger than 1024. Time for a few experiments. Thanks all for responding.
04-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #219
Inactive Account

Jeff, I'll give the resizing a try. I'm clearly larger than 1024. Time for a few experiments. Thanks all for responding.
Ditto for Jeffs' suggestion...I had the same problem, and I think it was Mike (Uccemebug) who gave me the good oil way back when. If you do any PP, do it before resizing!

Cheers Paddy
04-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, low and behold setting the max dimension to 1024 or less makes the exif data show. Thanks Jeff for that. I can finally stop worrying about that. Now back to taxes...
04-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #221
Banned

After a bit of trial & error I'm really liking the new system. Much easier to take a look at everyones photos. And also much easier to jump over to make a comment on the many great photos that are posted every day. As a lazy commenter it's making it much easier for me to sit down in the evening, view the photos and post a few comments to my pentaxian friends.
04-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #222
Pentaxian

I agree, it is simple and enjoyable to look through pictures. And it is easy to add pictures under each day.
04-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also want to say that I think the quality of contributions this time around is very high (I know we are only a week in). As someone who has only seriously returned to photography for about two years, my involvement in this forum (where I tend to stick to the "fun" stuff) and these challenges in particular are really helping me improve my composition skills and my ability to figure out how make the best of a particular lens/conditions combination. Goes to show that shooting something every day is an excellent exercise just like regular practice in any other craft/skill.

Keep up the good work everyone!

-Joe
04-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #224
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent point Joe. I agree all of that about how these challenges improve you.
04-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #225
Veteran Member

Excellent point Joe. I've noticed the same thing.

Just uploaded 6-7-8. Gotta say that the Macro had me spoiled last month. Coming up with anything interesting for the kit lens is much much harder!