Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #271
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to have you back Rense. I'm of the opinion that missing a couple of days because life gets in the way is ok. Especially with old timers;-)

I'm having to delay posting yesterday's myself. My home internet is down so I couldn't post last night. If all else fails I'll bring the shots to work to post.

I format a lot. It's just faster than erase-all so I do it on a regular basis..

04-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I took a digital photography class a year and a half ago. One of the first things I learned in there was to format your digital media cards early and often. This cures most ills with them (except running them through the washing machine of course!). How often, can't really say, but often. It depends on how much you shoot. I do it every few months unless I'm going to do a big shoot then I'll clear them off by formatting them just to be sure.

Don't just try to make room on them by deleting files from the card. You can do this a bit but nothing works better than a good card format for getting rid of potential problem.

While I'm not totally sure of this but as I have different Pentax camera bodies and multiple SD cards, I don't try to switch them between cameras without formatting them on the specific camera I'm using.
04-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #273
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I took a digital photography class a year and a half ago. One of the first things I learned in there was to format your digital media cards early and often. This cures most ills with them (except running them through the washing machine of course!). How often, can't really say, but often. It depends on how much you shoot. I do it every few months unless I'm going to do a big shoot then I'll clear them off by formatting them just to be sure.

Don't just try to make room on them by deleting files from the card. You can do this a bit but nothing works better than a good card format for getting rid of potential problem.

While I'm not totally sure of this but as I have different Pentax camera bodies and multiple SD cards, I don't try to switch them between cameras without formatting them on the specific camera I'm using.
I've had mine survive the washing machine as well

I format weekly, if I am running out of space i go back and delete whole folders that i have already downloaded
Aside from when i am busy shooting big events like North by Northeast (and I'm not sure i'll do that this year) I usually can live with the 1 8gb card on an ongoing basis
04-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am terrible for not formatting my cards. I tend to hold on to a folder for a few days "just in case" I decide that I deleted something after transferring it to my computer and want to go back to retrieve (which has never happened). I have also experienced my only two major card error incidents where I lost all or most of an important shoot on days that I formatted the card before heading out.

04-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #275
Pentaxian

Now when we have these great 16GB cards it is one reason to be extremely careful. You can fit a LOT of pictures there. I have been considering to get 3, 4 GB cards instead of 16 GB. I Know that math does not match, but there is still plenty of space. That 16 GB would be if shooting video and pics. - not to mention that I external drives full of stuff, 500 GB-1 TB. - .
04-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Now when we have these great 16GB cards it is one reason to be extremely careful. You can fit a LOT of pictures there. I have been considering to get 3, 4 GB cards instead of 16 GB. I Know that math does not match, but there is still plenty of space. That 16 GB would be if shooting video and pics. - not to mention that I external drives full of stuff, 500 GB-1 TB. - .
I have had a 16gb almost full crap out and have to be recovered. got about 50% of what was there back. I have a range of cards from 1gb to 16 gb from over the years. the 1gb pretty much only gets used in the ds
generally i use the 8gb cards and download daily if possible
as for external drives etc i now have 3 tb in total internal and external, and will likely by another 1-1.5 tb before the year is out (there is some duplication as some drives are dedicated back up drives for all my raw files and select pp files (i can always do the pp again if need be, and now with LR it remembers the pp settings last used hallelujah
04-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #277
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I have had a 16gb almost full crap out and have to be recovered. got about 50% of what was there back. I have a range of cards from 1gb to 16 gb from over the years. the 1gb pretty much only gets used in the ds
generally i use the 8gb cards and download daily if possible
as for external drives etc i now have 3 tb in total internal and external, and will likely by another 1-1.5 tb before the year is out (there is some duplication as some drives are dedicated back up drives for all my raw files and select pp files (i can always do the pp again if need be, and now with LR it remembers the pp settings last used hallelujah

I try to download daily too, one week is max...had some problems, almost lost one weekend holiday and then some stuff...every now and then pondering of opinion at making paper prints of best pics...just in case...

04-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #278
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I try to download daily too, one week is max...had some problems, almost lost one weekend holiday and then some stuff...every now and then pondering of opinion at making paper prints of best pics...just in case...
I never follow my own advice, i always told people i sold to they should take all their keepers and have at least 4x6 (or 5x7) prints made for archival purposes, I have multi backups but prints are not prone to hard drive failure/file obsolescence etc

I really need to send off at least a few hundred to start to a lab and store them in a box (that'll drive my wife nuts)
04-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #279
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I never follow my own advice, i always told people i sold to they should take all their keepers and have at least 4x6 (or 5x7) prints made for archival purposes, I have multi backups but prints are not prone to hard drive failure/file obsolescence etc

I really need to send off at least a few hundred to start to a lab and store them in a box (that'll drive my wife nuts)
Exactly, my idea of paper prints too(not the point making relationship more challenging), well let's see if I'll make prints...it'll take ages to go through my library and then make decision of which one is worthy and which is not.
04-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think the trick would be to do it weekly or bi weekly and get 20-40 prints at a time. once i catch up of course (with somewhere in the range of 30000 plus images on various drives i should really get on it - and delete some at the same time i'm a digital pack rat)
04-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #281
Pentaxian

It would do it...but...there will be bigger drives and uploading photo on web will make it last forever.
04-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It would do it...but...there will be bigger drives and uploading photo on web will make it last forever.
i wouldn't count on that. my flickr is visible to all right now, as soon as i stop paying for pro account all but the latest 200 will disappear from view
for example
or flickr will screw up and accidentally delete my entire profile like they have done to others
04-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a recommended online storage site? My computer guru son, says my computer should be "wiped" and stared over. Eeek! Not right away, but, soon. I have a small back up drive, but wonder how dependable it would be.
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #284
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Back up all the photos first edith (hard drives are cheap now a 1tb should be well under $100
Add ay other important stuff to the sae drive
Then reformat
And you just described why hard copies are valuable
04-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #285
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chemtech Quote
Is there a recommended online storage site? My computer guru son, says my computer should be "wiped" and stared over. Eeek! Not right away, but, soon. I have a small back up drive, but wonder how dependable it would be.

Do you have a CD burner? I routinely back my photos to CD. If not either then previously mention external or a supply of sdhc cards which are more expensive per GB but can be used in camera or to carry to the printing lab.