Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #376
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I was looking for a separate thread on SiMay but thought I'd check in here to see if you all had started talking about SiM. Yep, you did. I want in on this one. My car is going into the shop tomorrow to get a few things fixed and I'll be able to drive further from home. I'll probably stick with the Sigma lens as I do a lot of large water bird shots in the summer and this is my main lens for that. So, count me in too.

I've been looking at all of your photos for SiA and what great shots I've seen. I haven't commented on all of them but I have seen them.
Good to have you back Mar! We probably should start a Single in May thread to welcome newcomers. If no one has started one when I get home from work today I will take the plunge.

04-27-2011, 06:31 AM   #377
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
I'm keen to do a Single in May.
So far in previous and current months I have used:

A28/2.8, DA21 F3.2, K55/1.8, DAL 35/2.4 , Tamron 17-50/2.8, and Tokina 17/3.5

I'm open to suggestions for May, I do have a *few* lenses left (big understatement)...

Please help?

ps Comrade Helios arrived today.
give us a list to suggest from jack
04-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
give us a list to suggest from jack
Contenders (the lenses I have hardly used in the last 6 months)

Tokina 20-35mm F2.8 zoom (AF/AE)
A or FA 50mm F1.4
Certain 43mm and 77mm lenses... (AF/AE)
K 135/2.5, K 35/3.5, K 28/3.5 (all Manual)

New arrivals:
Helios 44-2 (58mm/F2) (all Manual)
FA* 24mm F2 (AF/AE)
Tokina 200mm F3.5 (all Manual)

Cheers from Jack
04-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #379
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How about the K 135mm? So far the lenses you have used have been normal to wide. I don't know if it would be a good autumn lens though.

I'm having the same trouble as you choosing what to use but I have narrowed it down to MF and M42 mount. I just have to decide Takumar or Russian and then after that pick a focal length.

Patrick

04-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #380
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well you are headed into less light so something fast jack, either a fast 50 ot the new fa 24 would get my vote
04-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #381
Veteran Member

I'm not being able to process and post pictures these days. We're having family over from Holland and although I take pictures (of course), I don't have the time to do something about them. But from Friday there will be some more time to do that.
And commenting on your shots of course.
04-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #382
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
7. Now, Take another shot, metering on the white object, only this time, Hit the green button to center the meter, and then adjust your exposure to let in 2 stops more light. Either open the aperture a couple stops or slow the shutter a couple stops (or simply use EV comp +2 if you're using an A type lens).

8. Take a 4th photo, this time metering the Black object (green button). Then, however you want to do it, adjust your exposure 2 stops by closing the aperture a couple stops or increasing the shutter speed a couple stops (EV comp -2).

Hi Jeff, one small clarity here. You mentioned +2 or 2 stops to expose for the highlight - what if we expose +3 (without the +3 blinking) I understand when it blinks the white looses the details and all blown out. Similar for -3, while blinking no details in black, am I correct or for pure white and pure black should that be always +2 and -2? Sorry it this question irritates you.

04-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #383
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Hi Jeff, one small clarity here. You mentioned +2 or 2 stops to expose for the highlight - what if we expose +3 (without the +3 blinking) I understand when it blinks the white looses the details and all blown out. Similar for -3, while blinking no details in black, am I correct or for pure white and pure black should that be always +2 and -2? Sorry it this question irritates you.
(I'm glad you came over and checked it out).

Whatever it takes. I (as I mentioned in the other thread and this one) typically shoot M. I use + and - 2 as a guideline because that is the extent of what the Meter shows in the K5 viewfinder. From there we get a flashing plus or minus if it is out of range of the viewfinder meter. If you are aiming at something that is pure white (or nearly so) you might actually want to go to plus 3. What you are trying to do here is Tell the camera what White (or black) really is because it assumes everything is a middle shade of grey (Zone 5 or 18% if you've read up on it).

04-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #384
Veteran Member

Jeff, thanks for that - now that confirmed i am in the right direction. I also checked you galleries - very impressive especially the black and white portraits. cheers
04-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #385
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Contenders (the lenses I have hardly used in the last 6 months)
My vote's for the K 35/3.5 as I've never used that focal length before.
04-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #386
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Jeff, thanks for that - now that confirmed i am in the right direction. I also checked you galleries - very impressive especially the black and white portraits. cheers
Great and Thank you!

Come join us for Single in May and show us what Dubai looks like.

04-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I created a new thread for Single in May here . Rather than try to explain the linking method I decided to redirect newcomers to the Single in April thread where various explanations are posted and hopefully one will make sense to anyone else struggling to work it out.
04-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Joe - thank you very much for getting that ball rolling and done!
04-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #389
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
I'm not being able to process and post pictures these days. We're having family over from Holland and although I take pictures (of course), I don't have the time to do something about them. But from Friday there will be some more time to do that.
And commenting on your shots of course.
Me too..been away again over Easter and now playing catch-up! We're all friends (or fiends) now, so I don't think that's a problem really!Hope you had a great time!

Ciao mio bella ragazza!

Paddy
04-28-2011, 05:19 AM   #390
Pentaxian

@ Jack for lens choise. 20-35/2.8 or magical 77...