Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 03:54 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in April

who's ready for April

There are a couple of changes this month in how we will run due to the difficulty we found following so many members with different methods of posting so read the details below
In short these are the rules of the challenge:

-Choose one lens
-Take pictures with the lens each day and upload one of them to the Daily Single in April thread under the monthly challenges group for the appropriate day
- Do this every day for the whole month

FAQ:

Q: where do i post my pictures ?
NEW
A: under the monthly photo challenges group you will find a thread for each day in April, post your picture to the appropriate day, just like posting a picture to any thread on the forum. You can store your pictures wherever yo like ie a gallery here (see below) or Flickr or photobucket or your own site, just post them to the daily thread that applies to the picture. here is the group page
Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Q: What if I have more than one picture worth posting
A: Hopefully you will, there is a group for extras you can start a thread there for your extras if you wish

Monthly Photo Challenges - Extras - PentaxForums.com

Q: How do I participate?
A: Create an album called "Single in April". Go to your User Control Panel, and under Your Profile, choose "Edit Photo Albums". There you can create the album.NEW - OR add them wherever you upload pictures see above but be sure to post them to each daily thread

Q: Once I've created my album, where/how do I submit my album to be included?
A: NEW now everyone can easily follow progress by subscribing to the daily thread (automatic when you post a pic or comment)

Q; what is the Flickr Group about
A: there is now a Flickr Single in group, if you use flickr please join in and cross post there. perhaps we will entice new unsuspecting members to the forum and the challenge through this venue
http://www.flickr.com/groups/single_challenges/

Q: Must I upload a picture every day?
A: No, you can upload it whenever you feel like, but you must choose one for each day

Q: What if I miss a shot?
A: Do not worry about it!

Q: What is a "safety shot"?
A: It is a picture that you take early in the day as a backup if you get too busy to get the shot you wanted

Q: What about all my other lenses, can't I use them?
A: Not for this challenge, but you can shoot with them all you want

Q: If I choose a zoom lens, do I have to stick with one focal length on that lens? Or can I have the entire focal range?
A: You can use the entire focal range

Q: Is it against the rules if I use an extension tube together with the lens?
A: Not at all, you are still using the same lens!

Q: How about mounting the lens reversed then?
A: You can do that! :-)

Q: Is it just for curing LBA?
A: No! You learn a lot from using a single lens for a month, why not choose one of your least favorite ones and get to know it better?
A: You get a new bunch of friends who also shoot one picture every day
A: If you choose a similar lens as someone else, you can compare shots, image quality and share notes *aawww* :-)

Q: Is it hard?
A: The first 7 days are easy. The next 7 will get you on your toes, the next 7 will make you head hurt and if you survive that till the end you will have a bunch of fantastic shots spread out over a whole month

Q: What about that gallery, I do not have enough space for my pictures!
A: Have you considered donating to the site? It will get you a bunch of space and keep the site advertising free! You know you love it like that :-)

Q: Any hints with regards to the Album?
A: Take a snapshot of your chosen lens? Make todays picture the album cover?

Q: Photobook!
A: Yes! What a great idea, a book with photographs chosen by the challengers. Just remember to save the original files so you will have good material for prints

Q: Can I have a look at past challenges?
A: Yes, you can find them by searching single in under the member albums, or by Visiting the various threads from march under the group where you will be posting the April Pics

Last edited by eddie1960; 03-28-2011 at 04:01 PM.
03-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So with the new posting, everyone's photos are going to be in one thread per day? How's that better? 'splain it to me.

And I'm in. My new to me K-x will be here Wednesday...I can't wait for it so I can shoot all of April with the new one.
03-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First daily thread will go up thursday morning toronto time under the group challenges so it is available for the aussies and others who start the day earlier

have fun guys, i'm in probably with my DA14 but that could still change
03-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
So with the new posting, everyone's photos are going to be in one thread per day? How's that better? 'splain it to me.

And I'm in. My new to me K-x will be here Wednesday...I can't wait for it so I can shoot all of April with the new one.
I think the consensus was that it would be easier to follow the days. not everyone had gallery space here, and the threads seemed to be presenting a struggle. If this doesn't work of course we will likely change it again in May

03-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Okay. I guess we'll have to wait and see if this new idea works or not. But I'm still in. Just have to decide which lens..sighs
03-28-2011, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
Wuah... it's the 29th already... time to choose another lens...
but which one....!
03-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh and Congratulations on the new Camera, I know you've struggled with the iso issue in the past (pesky critters hiding in the shade all the time) I'm sure you'll produce some great stuff in april

03-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marlboroman Quote
Wuah... it's the 29th already... time to choose another lens...
but which one....!
I know how you feel, i've been having a bugger of a time keeping up and commenting on peoples work. I don't know if this will be any different but it's worth a try.
03-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Against my better judgement I am going to sign up for another round, using another lens I have recently acquired, the FA 50/1.4. I will be curious to see how flickr works for folks but I think I will build an album again (I still have few months worth of space left).

-Joe
03-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I'm in for month 4 of the Single In - thread. Up this time is the D FA 100 f2.8 macro lens. I intend to shoot as many wildflowers as I can find and in between more macro work.
03-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looking forward to it
At some point i will need to pack in my manual focus obsession and this lens is on the short list (after the fa43 oh hell after all the fa ltds)
03-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm totally addicted to this and so is my director of photography - Susan, my wife, she is now doing a lot of the PP work for me too.

So count me in for Single in April. Lens TBA soon...

If anyone is a little hesitant to join, don't be afraid to jump in, the challenge really does bring out the best of all of us, and is a wonderful learning exercise, in terms of your camera and chosen lens, and also it will make you much more aware of the world around you, you will develop "photographer eyes" and see things in a new light. I know I did.

Cheers, and come on, join in!
Jack.
03-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well put Jack, it can be trying some days but i have got some great pics by pushing myself every month not every day is going to be great, but you definitely learn to see the hidden in plain sight around you
03-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in for April. Still up in the air about which lens. If the 40 Ltd arrives in time, will probably go with that. I have an Aus Jena 50mm that looks interesting. Trying to stay away from my favorites and try something new. We'll see if I can leave my comfort zone or not.
03-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool looking forward to it, like your 12 days of christmas album