Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Hey that looks like fun to play with. Lucky.
I don't know about "lucky", it vignettes at f3.5, it has problems with edge sharpness, edge CA, and is very difficult to focus without a split prism, but hey, this is what "challenge" means.

03-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Eddie, can I challenge you to only use the 14mm in MF mode for the month?

... Maybe I could challenge everyone to just use MF for April?
03-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
I don't know about "lucky", it vignettes at f3.5, it has problems with edge sharpness, edge CA, and is very difficult to focus without a split prism, but hey, this is what "challenge" means.

Play too it's strengths then vignetting and edge sharpness, weaknesses can become strengths in your hands jack
03-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #49
Inactive Account

@Eddie, can I challenge you to only use the 14mm in MF mode for the month?

... Maybe I could challenge everyone to just use MF for April?
For some more than others, just because of the nature of the lenses, that would be a Real challenge. It certainly causes people to slow down a little bit and rely on developing (or using already developed) skills instead of relying on electronics and software.

Edith, 1/2 of my lenses, at least, were purchased as a direct result of these types of challenges .

03-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
if i was going MF for the month then i would choose a different lens jack. the da 14 has a crappy mf throw
but im sure some sots will be manual fine tuned
03-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #51
Inactive Account

If I remember correctly, the DA14 has 2 focal settings. Close and infinity. Everything in between seemed arbitrary and there wasn't much of it.

03-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
pretty much the way it is jeff but wide open it's pickier

03-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Maybe I could challenge everyone to just use MF for April
That is not a challenge for me Jack as I always shoot MF.

My thinking is, if you're going to always shoot AF, why buy a DSLR?, why not just buy a Point and shoot? The birds I shoot are not going to sit still for the AF to hunt them down.
03-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #54
Pentaxian

I'll be using MF too, with my A 24.
03-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
That is not a challenge for me Jack as I always shoot MF.

My thinking is, if you're going to always shoot AF, why buy a DSLR?, why not just buy a Point and shoot? The birds I shoot are not going to sit still for the AF to hunt them down.
I don't agree with you on this. Using AF doesn't mean you are on the green mode all the time. And the AF on for example DA*300 is terrific, I think a lot of shots I've seen wouldn't have been that good if they had done it on MF. I don't say there's anything wrong with MF, I use it a lot, but the advantage of AF is great too. If I reread your words I can also say, why buy a dSLR? Go buy an old analogue camera, what's the point in using such an expensive camera if you're not going to use ALL you can get out of it.
03-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're right too Karen. I should have explained that better. Let's see if I can word it better. If you buy a DSLR, which gives you more creative options, and are able to use all of the functions on any given shot, but then you don't take advantage of those functions and only shoot AF, what's the point in having a DSLR? Then why not buy a point and hope, er, shoot.

And this is just my opinion.
03-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like AF lenses, AND MF lenses, and also "A" series lenses and "M" or "K" series lenses (or equivalents).

This month I have shot AF using the Tamron, and thankfully I have learnt not to trust it, because in about 10% of my shots the AF was totally wrong, and thankfully I re-shot these photos.
But this is what the single challenge lens is all about, getting experience and learning about the lens foibles.

I'm going to shoot manual in April, but only because I enjoy it, for my own selfish reasons!

Jack
03-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I still am not sure which lens to use this time. I have my two auto lenses, but I also have a Sears 135m 2.8 and a 50mm f2. I'd like to use the 135mm (m) lens, but I tried using it on the K100D and all I get is white photos. I'm sure there is something I'm not doing right but for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out what it is.
03-30-2011, 02:43 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
You're right too Karen. I should have explained that better. Let's see if I can word it better. If you buy a DSLR, which gives you more creative options, and are able to use all of the functions on any given shot, but then you don't take advantage of those functions and only shoot AF, what's the point in having a DSLR? Then why not buy a point and hope, er, shoot.

And this is just my opinion.
On this I agree. Most people are also so disappointed when they switch from p&s to dSLR, because it doesn't look as pretty as they are used to. That depends also on what your definition of pretty is, but I think once they get off the green mode and start using the other functions on the camera they start to understand it. And there are people who will never leave that green mode, which I don't understand at all.
Shooting MF is a great way to learn about how camera and lens are corresponding and how the camera works.
03-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm praying that the Helios arrives tomorrow, Rense has suggested that the Tokina 17mm will be a very hard task!

I'm not sure now, might have to really bite the bullet and go with my DA15...

hahahahaha