Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
El Camino.

Jonas Salk was a medical researcher who developed the vaccine against polio, a disease which killed more children than any other communicable disease.

Preston Foster acted in Doctor X, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, Annie Oakley, The Last Days of Pompeii, The Informer, My Friend Flicka, and Guadalcanal Diary.

Ray Kroc joined McDonald's in 1954 and built it into the most successful fast-food operation in the world. Joan Kroc was a philanthropist.

Ray owned the San Diego Padres baseball team for 10 years.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 04:39 PM.
02-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #287
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fort Rosecrans National.

Thomas Higgins was a cartoonist who submitted almost 500 cartoons for Ripley's Believe it or Not.

Michael Monsoor, Medal of Honor recipient, was a Navy SEAL. He covered an enemy grenade, and saved the lives of other soldiers.

David Rowlands acted in Faces, Husbands, On The Buses, Mutiny On The Buses, Assassin, Vampira, The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie, Opening Night, The Big Fix, Henry V, Beverly Hills Madams, and The Cleopatras. Brother of actress Gena Rowlands.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 04:41 PM.
02-29-2012, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #288
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pacific View.

Rudolf Ising directed and produced many Merry Melodies and Looney Tunes cartoons of the 1930s and 1940s, and won an Oscar for 1940's cartoon The Milky Way.

James Edwards started a theater around the Los Angeles area in 1930. He retired in 1960 only to come back in 1963 to open the Edwards Theater chain. His motto was "I'm not in the movie business, I'm in the popcorn business".

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 04:43 PM.
03-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kyle, I love to check into this thread to see what's new and you never disappoint. I'm amazed how many you find and the research and time that must go into it. I appreciate it, I never thought a thread of grave marker photos could be so entertaining, but hey, it's history! Keep up the good work!

03-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #290
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Kyle, I love to check into this thread to see what's new and you never disappoint. I'm amazed how many you find and the research and time that must go into it. I appreciate it, I never thought a thread of grave marker photos could be so entertaining, but hey, it's history! Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the note. I'm glad someone is interested. I have plenty more...:-) I'm seriously thinking about renting a car for a day during my NYC vacation in May - I have about 50 candidates in the area.
03-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #291
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Holy Cross.

The Del Rubio Triplets were a variety/musical act, and appeared in many TV shows in the 1980s due mostly to their campy style of dress and their goofy interpretations of songs.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 04:46 PM.
03-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #292
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Holy Cross.

John Farrow was a director, producer and screenwriter. In 1957 he won the writing/screenplay oscar for Around the World in Eighty Days. In 1942 he was nominated as Best Director for Wake Island. Father of actress Mia Farrow.

Joan Banks was in films and radio, often with husband Frank Lovejoy. Appeared on I Love Lucy, Private Secretary, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Rough Riders, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, Perry Mason and Hazel.

Frank Albertson is probably best remembered for his role as Sam Wainwright, the businessman fond of saying "Hee-Haw" in It's a Wonderful Life. He played the boss, Tom Cassidy, in Psycho, and was Theodore Roosevelt in an episode of My Friend Flicka.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 04:47 PM.
03-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #293
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Holy Cross.

Jean Acker acted in the silents, with smaller roles in talkies. She was married briefly to Rudy Valentino though she locked him out on their wedding night - likely due to her lesbian relationship with actress Alli Nazimova.

Comic actress Joan Davis appeared on the radio in the Rudy Vallee Show, in film with Abbott and Costello and Eddie Cantor, and the TV show I Married Joan with Jim Backus.

Ranald MacDougall was an American screenwriter who wrote the movies Mildred Pierce, The Unsuspected, June Bride, and The Naked Jungle.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 04:49 PM.
03-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #294
Pentaxian

Original Poster
San Fernando Mission.

Bruce Yarnell acted in TV's Outlaws, Hogan's Heroes, Bonanza, and The Smothers Brothers. He was also a baritone operatic singer. The plane he was flying had electrical problems and crashed.

Henry Corden was an actor and voice artist, and was the second Fred Flintstone from 1977. He also provided the singing voice in The Man Called Flintstone and The New Alice in Wonderland, and voiced parts on the Jetsons, Adam Ant, and others.

Ted Fio Rito was a composer, orchestra leader and keyboardist, who was popular on national radio in the 1920s and 30s. He had two #1 hits in 1934 - My Little Grass Shack in Kealakekua, Hawaii and I’ll String Along with You.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 04:51 PM.
03-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #295
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Westwood.

Pamela Mason was an actress, author, and screenwriter. She was in Lady Possessed, The Child, and Sex Kittens Go to College. She hosted two talk shows, and wrote Marriage Is the First Step Toward Divorce, and The Female Pleasure Hunt.

Portland Mason Schuyler was a child actress in The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit, among others, then turned to writing. She was the daughter of actress Pamela Mason and actor James Mason.

Gregor Piatigorsky was a Russian-born American cellist. He got his first cello at age 7, and at age 15 was the principle cellist for the Bolshoi Ballet. Later, after escaping Russia, he became the lead cellist for the Berlin orchestra.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 04:53 PM.
03-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #296
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Eternal Hills.

Dick Simmons starred in the '50's as Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, bringing law-and-order into the 1890s Gold Rush as a member of the Northwest Mounted Police.

Lloyd Haynes was a Marine for 12 years before acting, most famously as teacher Pete Dixon in Room 222.

Bobby Driscoll is most famous for his role as Jim Hawkins in 1950's Treasure Island. After brushes with the law and drugs, he died alone and broke in New York City, where he is actually buried. (Cenotaph).

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 04:55 PM.
03-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #297
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Forest Lawn, Glendale.

Robert Pierce was the founder of the international charity organization World Vision in 1950, and of Samaritan's Purse in 1970.

William Burnett was a novelist and screenwriter. He wrote the crime novels Little Caesar, and Scarface. Screenplays include High Sierra, and The Asphalt Jungle. He was oscar-nominated for Wake Island and The Great Escape.

Ida Lupino, buried with her mother Constance, was an actress and director. Ida was in the Light That Failed, High Sierra, and The Hard Way. She was the first woman to direct film-noir with The Hitch Hiker.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 05:07 PM.
03-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #298
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Forest Lawn, Hollywood.

Ibu Assan was a dancer, known as The Pavlova of the Orient.

Lloyd Bacon began his directing career with Charlie Chaplin's Essanay Corporation, and he directed Knute Rockne All American starring Pat O'Brien and Ronald Reagan, and It Happens Every Spring with Ray Milland and Jean Peters.

Laraine Day acted as Nurse Mary Lamont in seven Dr. Kildare movies beginning in 1939 with Lew Ayres, and prominent supporting parts in My Son, My Son! and Hitchcock's thriller Foreign Correspondent.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 05:00 PM.
03-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #299
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Cypress View, San Diego.
Archie Moore was the Light Heavyweight boxing champion from 1952-59 and 1961. He is in the main hall of Cypress View mausoleum. He appeared in a few bit acting roles.

El Camino, San Diego.
Milburn Stone is most famous for his role as "Doc" (Dr. Galen Adams) on the western series Gunsmoke. He has a star on the Walk of Fame, and is in the Western Performer's HOF.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 05:09 PM.
03-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #300
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Forest Lawn, Hollywood.

Nestor Paiva acted on TV's Get Smart, The Beverly Hillbillies, and The Addams Family, and played the boat captain in the 1954 horror film Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Michael Hutchence was the singer for INXS. He had a daughter with Paula Yates just shortly after her divorce from music promoter and Live Aid organizer Bob Geldof. Hutchence's death was ruled a suicide.

William Noe is credited with inventing the Autocrat Safety Belt, first used in 1956 Ford vehicles.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-15-2015 at 04:58 PM.