Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #421
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Santa Barbara.

Sam Battistone co-founded Sambo's restaurant chain which grew to 1,117 national locations. Though the restaurant name came from a combination of the co-founders names, Sambo's used images from the much earlier book "The Story of Little Black Sambo" which some erroneously saw as racist, and it contributed to the chain's demise. Only the original in Santa Barbara is still going.

Frederick Peabody worked his way up in business, marketed Arrow shirts, and was chairman of the board of education in Sta Barbara. He donated a stadium to the high school, and land for Peabody Charter School.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-31-2014 at 06:06 PM.
10-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #422
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Santa Barbara.

Suzy Parker was an actress whose first role was a cameo in Funny Face, and was the first $100/hr and $100,000/yr model. She was married to actor Bradford Dillman.

Dr William Sansum developed and applied insulin in the US in 1922. He founded Sansum Clinic Foundation in 1944 which has become Sansum Diabetes Research Institute.

Kenneth Rexroth was a poet on the leading edge of the 'beat generation', though he disliked the connection. He also translated writing, wrote essays, and taught at local UCSB.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-31-2014 at 06:08 PM.
10-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #423
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Santa Barbara.

Norma Varden acted in Casablanca, National Velvet, Strangers on a Train, Witness for the Prosecution, Doctor Doolittle, and TV's Hazel.

Robert Sinclair was a stage director before working in film, then TV's Telephone Time, The Shirley Temple Theatre, Johnny Stoccato, The Deputy, Maverick, Hawaiian Eye, and Lawman.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-31-2014 at 06:10 PM.
10-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #424
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Calvary, SB.

Duncan Renaldo acted, most famously as the Cisco Kid in the film and subsequent TV series. He was an illegal immigrant but was pardoned by Franklin Roosevelt, prodded by Eleanor who had bought one of Duncan's portrait paintings.

Phil Regan was a NYPD detective, then a singer and actor. He also headed Ronald Reagan's bid for California governor. He later served a year in prison for bribery in a real estate scandal.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-31-2014 at 06:11 PM.
10-04-2012, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #425
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Garden of Memories, Salinas.

John Steinbeck wrote the famous books listed on this cemetery pointer.

He is buried in his mother's lot, in the upper right. Lower right is another John.

As a kid, I spent a summer in his former house (now museum) at 222 Central in Pacific Grove.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-31-2014 at 06:15 PM.
10-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #426
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hermosa Memorial Gardens, Colton.

Morgan Earp was the youngest of the Earp brothers. Months after the famous 'shoot-out at the OK corral', Morgan was shot through a doorway window while playing billiards. His body was returned to his parents house here in Colton.

Montecito Memorial Park, Colton.

Evelyn Brier was the first licensed female flight instructor in the US. She ferried airplanes as a WASP. She ran Tri-County airport (now a shopping mall) and instructed nearby in SB for 40 years.

Hillside Memorial Park, Redlands.

Charles Nordhoff, with Norman Hall, wrote The Lafayette Flying Corps (both were WWI pilots), Mutiny on the Bounty, Men against the Sea, and Pitcairn's Island.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-31-2014 at 06:18 PM.
10-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #427
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Monterey.

David Jacks was a businessman, landowner, and Treasurer of Monterey County. He also marketed cheese which became known as Monterey Jack. He donated land which became Pacific Grove.

Jimmy Hatlo was a cartoonist who created They'll Do It Every Time from 1929-1963. Hatlo's other strip, Little Iodine, was adapted into a movie in 1946.

Steve Cochran acted, usually as the heavy, in Wonderman, The Best Years of Our Lives, and famously in White Heat with James Cagney. He died during a boat outing with an all-female crew...

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-31-2014 at 06:21 PM.
10-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #428
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Mt. Sinai.

Sara Berner was in radio on the Jack Benny Show, and acted in film and TV, including the upstairs neighbor in Rear Window, and the voice of a telephone operator in North by Northwest.

June Carroll was a singer and lyricist. She was in, and wrote songs for, the musical revue New Faces of 1952, with Eartha Kitt. She wrote for 12 Broadway musicals, including The Man From Oklahoma starring Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.

Stanley Shapiro wrote and produced movies from the 1950s to the 1980s, and earned a writing oscar in 1959 for the movie Pillow Talk.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-31-2014 at 06:25 PM.
10-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #429
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Mountain View, Oakland.

John Hays was a captain in the Texas Rangers and a military officer of the Republic of Texas. He fought in armed conflicts from 1836–1848, including against the Comanches in Texas and during the Mexican-American War.

Julia Morgan was the first licensed female architect in California, and designed over 700 buildings, most notably much of Hearst castle in San Simeon.

Charles Crocker was a railroad executive who founded the Central Pacific Railroad, which constructed the westernmost portion of the first transcontinental railroad.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-31-2014 at 06:27 PM.
10-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #430
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Coming up on 75,000 views. Just sayin'.

You can leave a comment...this is not a church or library :-)
10-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #431
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're doing a good thing in documenting these graves. I noticed one today where my initial reaction was "she's hot". Sad to know that she's gone. Suzy Parker. I know I'm many years behind the times. Your teenage interests can last for a long time.
10-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #432
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
You're doing a good thing in documenting these graves. I noticed one today where my initial reaction was "she's hot". Sad to know that she's gone. Suzy Parker. I know I'm many years behind the times. Your teenage interests can last for a long time.
Hi Richard: Suzy was a couple years before my time, I think. There are a few other Miss America/Playmate types in this collection, though. You never know who is going to turn up :-)
10-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #433
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kyle, everytime I come to this thread I'm amazed and entertained, it makes me remember movies and old TV shows that I haven't thought about in a long time. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 10-18-2012 at 07:37 PM.
10-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #434
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Kyle, everytime I come to this thread I'm amazed and entertained, ikt makes me remember movies and old TV shows that I haven't thought about in a long time. Keep up the good work!
Some people I never knew of until I started this little sub-hobby. I really study old movie/TV credits now...

Alta Mesa.

Ernest Ford was a singer most known for recording 'Sixteen Tons'. He also was a DJ where he created his persona of 'Tennessee Ernie', and was a TV host. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and is in the Country Music HOF.

Ronald McKernan was a founding member of The Grateful Dead. He was friends with, and had a shorter relationship with, Janis Joplin. He was more of a drinker than druggy, indicated by the bottle tops, perhaps.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-31-2014 at 06:30 PM.
10-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #435
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Forest Lawn, Glendale.

Albert Smith tried a career as an illusionist, then eventually joined J. Stuart Blackton and William T. Rock to form the Vitagraph Co in the late 1890's to produce and distribute early films. It was bought by Warner Bros in 1925.

John Woolf was an architect noted for Hollywood homes he created with life-partner Robert Koch. His style included "Pullman doors" front entry, leaded oval glass window, Mansard roof and Doric columns.

His clients included Cary Grant, Errol Flynn, Judy Garland, Barbara Stanwyck, Bob Hope, Ronald Colman, Ray Milland, Ricardo Montalban, Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-31-2014 at 06:33 PM.