Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #616
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Resurrection, Montebello.

Sonja Johnson, and friend Dolly Cepeda (above), were the 7th and 8th victims of the Hillside Strangler (actually two men). They were last seen getting off a bus and talking to men in a car. They were found near Dodger stadium in Los Angeles.

Paul Maxey played character roles, notably as the composer Victor Herbert in Till the Clouds Roll By, in Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man, Singin' in the Rain, The Narrow Margin, and Showdown at Boot Hill. TV shows include the role of Mayor John Peoples in the sitcom The People's Choice, M Squad, Wagon Train, The Untouchables and Perry Mason.

08-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #617
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This may have already been posted, but here is the mausoleum of Eva Duarte (Peron) in the incredible Recoleta necropolis in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Most non-Argentinians would know of her through the musical "Evita".
Attached Images

08-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #618
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Riverside National.

John Agar married actress Shirley Temple (she was 17, he was 24) and both acted in Fort Apache. He later had fame in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Sands of Iwo Jima.

Earl Palmer was a session drummer on Little Richard's 'Tutti-Frutti', Fats Domino's 'I'm Walking', Bobby Day's 'Rockin' Robin', Ritchie Valens' 'La Bamba' and Sam Cooke's 'Twistin' The Night Away'.

Charles Mitchell acted in TV's Remington Steele, General Hospital, Bret Maverick and The Fall Guy. Films include Hollywood Zap, Hateman, Hollywood Monster, Better Off Dead, The Winds Of War, Box Office, Frightmare, Good-bye Cruel World, Bret Maverick, The Hearse, Don't Answer The Phone!, and Penitentiary. He was also bar owner Porky in the Porky's series of movies.
08-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #619
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This may have already been posted, but here is the mausoleum of Eva Duarte (Peron) in the incredible Recoleta necropolis in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Most non-Argentinians would know of her through the musical "Evita".
Thanks for posting. The Peron's owned an awesome car that is in the Petersen museum in Los Angeles.

09-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #620
Pentaxian

Original Poster
El Camino.

Dorothy Kelly acted, mostly uncredited, in Flying with Music, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Sappy Pappy, The Sky’s the Limit, Petticoat Larceny, The Falcon and the Coeds, and her last film, 1946's The Razor’s Edge.

Sheila Darcy, also billed as Rebecca Wassem, acted in films starting with 1932's Jewel Robbery. In 1934, she starred in 2 films. From 1935-41 she was in 41 films. Her best known roles may be in Zorro's Fighting Legion, and as the lead in Terry and the Pirates. She married actor Preston Foster.

Last edited by SpecialK; 09-25-2013 at 09:45 PM.
09-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #621
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Forest Lawn, Covina.

Mary Ford, born Iris Colleen Summers, was a singer and guitarist, comprising half of the husband-and-wife musical team Les Paul and Mary Ford. Between 1950 and 1954, they had 16 top-ten hits, including How High the Moon, and Vaya con Dios, which were number one hits on the Billboard charts. In 1951 alone they sold six million records.

Donald E Wilson played MLB baseball. With the Astros 1966-74, he pitched no-hitters against the Braves in 1967 and Reds in 1969, and was a member of the NL All-Star team in 1971. His record was 104 games won, 92 lost, 20 shutouts, 2 saves, 1283 strikeouts and a 3.15 ERA. He was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in his garage.

Last edited by SpecialK; 09-25-2013 at 09:47 PM.
09-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #622
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hollywood Forever.

Felix Slatkin was a violinist and conductor, and he played the violin solo in How Green Was My Valley and How To Marry A Millionaire. He founded the Hollywood String Quartet in 1939 which won a Grammy in 1958.

Vladimir Sokoloff acted in Don Quixote, The Life of Emile Zola, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Scarlet Street, I Was A Teenage Werewolf, and The Magnificent Seven.

Queenie Vassar was a stage actress appearing late in her career in A Primrose Path, Lady In a Jam, and None But the Lonely Heart. She was married to actor Joseph Cawthorn.

09-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #623
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Assumption, Simi Valley.

Raoul Walsh was a silent screen actor, then screenwriter and director. He was assistant director for D.W. Griffith on Birth of a Nation, and directed High Sierra, White Heat, Battle Cry, and The Naked and the Dead.

Conejo Mountain, Camarillo.

Emil Sitka acted in a long string of comedy shorts, including 35 with the Three Stooges. He became the seventh Stooge after Larry suffered a stroke in 1970 and was scheduled to make two Stooge movies, but they were canceled when Moe died in 1975. "Hold hands, you lovebirds" is his most famous Stooge-movie line.

Last edited by SpecialK; 09-25-2013 at 09:49 PM.
09-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #624
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Forest Lawn, Covina.

Mitchell McDowell was a musician, first forming Booty People with several future members of War. Their album In Full Chill featured the anti-drug anthem Crack Killed Applejack which prompted then first lady Nancy Reagan to invite the group to the White House for a Just Say No to Drugs rally. General Kane was another group Mitchell started. In the late 1980s McDowell pursued a career as a bailbondsman. He and his nephew were killed during a robbery.

Joe De Santis was a radio voice, actor and sculptor. He narrated Norman Corwin's 'On a Note of Triumph', broadcast nationwide at the conclusion of World War II. He could be seen on TV's The Untouchables, 77 Sunset Strip, Perry Mason, Mission: Impossible, Daniel Boone, Gunsmoke, and Bonanza. Films include Cold Wind in August, I Want to Live!, and The Brotherhood.
09-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #625
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pacific View.

John Gordy played guard for the Detroit Lions for 11 years with 3 Pro Bowl appearances, served as president of the NFL Players Association, and was the state director of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

San Fernando Mission.

Pat O'Malley played strong leading roles in silent movies, then lesser roles in talkies, including Lassie Come Home, The Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Days of Wine and Roses, Apache Rifles, and TV's Thriller and The Twilight Zone.
10-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #626
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Forest Lawn, Hollywood.

Carol Vitale was a platinum blonde and was Playboy magazine's Miss July 1974. She earned a degree in broadcasting, and for 11 years had her own Carol Vitale Show. Longtime health issues led to suicide.

Marty Melcher was the husband of actress Doris Day, and produced some of her work.

Jerry Buss worked as a ditch digger. and railroad worker, then earned a doctorate in Chemistry, ventured into real estate in 1959, and in 1979 he purchased the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team. During his ownership, the team was champion in 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009 and 2010.
10-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #627
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hollywood Forever.

Basil Dickey was a screenwriter, primarily of action serials such as The Perils of Pauline, Flash Gordon, and Captain Midnight.

Edward G Robinson Jr, was the son of the more famous actor. TV included You Are There, Zane Gray Theatre, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, Get Smart, and Bracken's World. Films included Invasion USA, Bus Stop, Screaming Eagles, Tank Battalion, and Some Like It Hot.

James Cruze was a leading actor of the 1910s, then directed the first epic western, The Covered Wagon, in 1923. He also directed I Cover the Waterfront, and The Gangs of New York.
10-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #628
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Forest Lawn, Hollywood.

Chuck Niles was the voice of jazz radio for over 40 years, and served as an unofficial jazz ambassador, emceeing countless concerts, memorials and other jazz-related events.

Elmer Steiner may have been a world-renowned photographer, but I could find no information about him.

Tom Gallery was a silent-screen actor, and was married throughout the 1920s to actress Zasu Pitts.
10-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #629
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a fascinating series this is. I have only got to page ten, and am astounded at how many have died in my lifetime. They seemed an immortal part of the world, on TV, the screen or the news. I can't quite believe the shows they were part of, can never be revived other than as remakes. The world I knew is disappearing fast.
10-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #630
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
What a fascinating series this is. I have only got to page ten, and am astounded at how many have died in my lifetime. They seemed an immortal part of the world, on TV, the screen or the news. I can't quite believe the shows they were part of, can never be revived other than as remakes. The world I knew is disappearing fast.
Thanks for commenting. I like some of the sayings on the markers, as well as finding out about the people who may not be household names in some cases.