Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2022, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Here are a few shots from a newly-converted K-5. Just getting started with IR and I chose the K-5 to get converted to 630Nm because it is relatively cheap to get, takes all my my lenses (used on the KP) and feels so darned familiar in my hand (yes I owned it as well as the IIs version after and loved both cameras).
Welcome to the IR K-5 club! The one with the windmill is a particularly good job with channel-swapped color, unreal and believable at the same time.

---------- Post added 2022-07-04 at 08:34 AM ----------

(No channel swap, obviously!)

07-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K3-3 with IR Filter. Seem to like to try the filter on days with big puffy clouds.

Bob
07-16-2022, 11:19 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Here are a few shots from a newly-converted K-5. Just getting started with IR and I chose the K-5 to get converted to 630Nm because it is relatively cheap to get, takes all my my lenses (used on the KP) and feels so darned familiar in my hand (yes I owned it as well as the IIs version after and loved both cameras).

Software used is Darktable for the intial conversion from PEF using a RB channel swap, Digikam to do some level and curve stuff. Lens used was the DA16-85mm.
Amazing photos!

Is that in the Netherlands? Except for the first photo, the country scenes remind me of my childhood there.
07-16-2022, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Amazing photos!

Is that in the Netherlands? Except for the first photo, the country scenes remind me of my childhood there.
Thanks and yes. These were shot around my town in the North West of the country near Alkmaar.

07-17-2022, 04:21 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Sigma 85mm/f1.4 (which I purchased way back in my K20D days) has disappointed me in the past due to its often nervous and busy out of focus backgrounds. That background often ended up distracting from the actual subject and generally made this lens very hard to use.

Both these were PEFs which I did a channel swap on in DT. On the sunflower I also changed the yellow foliage to back to green with DT's color zones tool.

I'm now getting to know what seems like an entirely different optic under infrared light (630Nm wavelength cutoff). Gone are the busy backgrounds, suddenly turning into incredibly smooth transitions. The foreground suddenly springs to life with razor-sharp detail and beautiful light rendering.

Conversion of the infrared images was with a channel swap in Darktable and some manipulation of the color channels to emphasize the nuanced shades of light coming off subject and background. BTW, I could see no sign of any hotspots at various apertures, unlike the DA*50-135 which is basically unusable for IR shooting.

So, different optics behave differently under visible light and IR apparently - never too old to learn! My Sigma 8-16mm ends up being unusable due to lack of sharp detail (whether focused in AF-S, live-view contrast detection or even manual focus using an X6 enlarged LCD) and the DA*50-135 is plenty sharp but suffers from horrible hotspots across its entire aperture range.

On the flipside, the DA16-85mm exhibits way better detail sharpness under IR than under visible light and the Sigma85 suddenly loses its nervoeusness and becomes a smooth shooter...who'd have thunk?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-17-2022, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the sunflower I also changed the yellow foliage to back to green with DT's color zones tool.
Creative use of PP tools and an amazing result -- I am going to have to try that! IR also tames contrasts that don't work well in regular (visible-light) photography, so this technique opens a lot of possibilities.

Zoom lenses tend to have more problems in IR than primes (I say this not from experience, just from research).
07-25-2022, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excited as tomorrow my used Tammy 10-24mm arrives. It is said to exhibit better sharpness and less hotspots than the Sigma 8-16mm but let's see if it can beat the Samyang 8mm Fisheye I used on these:

07-27-2022, 04:28 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

3-shot shift panorama with the Laowa 20mm f/4 Zero-D Shift. I'm disappointed with its corner/edge performance in infrared. It's a brilliant performer in the visible spectrum however.
07-27-2022, 04:50 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Tammy has arrived and it has indeed surprised me in a positive way. Mind you, in visible light on my KP, the Sigma 8-16 still beats it hands-down but on my 630Nm K-5 it is way better. Absolutely no visible hotspots and very passable sharpness except for the extreme corners which is to be expected from a UWA. For a mere €130 I think I've scored bigtime.

A few samples:

And a few B&W shots of today which were just an experimental combination between a tonemap from a 3-exposure bracket merged by Photomatix and a B&W conversion with Digikam