Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Challenge #41: House on a Hill *WINNERS*

There were many great entries for this challenge!
After an unfortunate period of busyness (but not all business), I have the winners!

Some quick comments:

Ash – I like the cropping of unnecessary content, and the saturation really creates a pop!

Nass – Again, a very nice crop, and I am a sucker for heavy contrast. The trees really stand out against the white areas of sky.

Manel Brand – Doubts aside, this is very nice :P . The rich colors bring a lot more life into this compared to the original. And you did a pretty nice job on the lawn (I did that in my own file as well, it makes the image much more pleasing).

oddie1990 – That is an interesting way to go (with the selective coloring). It definitely draws your eye to the house. Also a nice crop, although I think the house may be a bit too close to the edge for my taste (didn’t even intend to make that reference, if anyone got it anyway ). Still, a nice treatment!

Christoph (christophleipzig) – Nice job on the conversion. Like I said, I like the edgy contrast, and yet you still were able to draw much detail from the trees. This really seems to ‘activate’ this area; it almost seems like a light source from above is present at night. Cool effect.

Tim (atupdate) – The trees have a very sharp effect, instead of the soft look in the original—interesting. Also, the plane seems to fit very well with this setting. Seems authentic. Good job!

landscaped1 – A very interesting treatment! I get a very layered feel from this, so it gives the eye a lot to look at. With the varying levels of opacity, it doesn’t look completely authentic, but I don’t think that’s needed here. A very nice effect, as well!

Barry (BlueBubbleBoy) – Very cool night effect. While it does create the effect of the moon or a star at nigh, it almost makes me think that it’s some sort of comet or some sort of ship about to land in a SciFi movie (I mean that in a good way ). Cool image.

Tom (ramseybuckeye) – This works very well, I think. The moon seems to fit the image very well, and the treatment of the surroundings fits very well—as if this were the original . The cloud cover also fits this mood more so than the original clouds. Nice work.

Lisa (casil403) – Nice saturation and processing. Just enough to pop the image, but not too much to make it unbelievable. I also like the detail present in the wooded area. Nicely balanced—looks like a beautiful day!

Mark (SWEngineer) – Very soft and wispy. Almost like a dream. The edges seem soft, and the house is clear—it thus draws your focus; I feel like this is a memory, and I’m just getting glimpses of a house that I used to know.

Joe (jmschrei) – I like the crop on this one as well. It’s tough with all of the stuff around, as well as the driveway. You also extracted much detail from the trees and balanced the image well. Nice border treatment, too. Good job

And now, the difficult part:

3rd Place: Tom (ramseybuckeye)– Authentic feel. Nice!

2nd Place: Christoph (christophleipzig) – Cool idea. It creates an edgy feel; very different!

1st Place (and the next host): Manel Brand – Well balanced, with rich color. This stayed in my head since I first saw it. Good job!

Last edited by MikeS; 04-17-2011 at 07:31 PM.
04-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Manel & Christoph. Thanks for the 3rd place Mike, nice job of judging, good comments on all.
04-18-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to the winners. I'm looking forward to seeing what Manel has for us to work on.

Tim
04-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Thanks MIKES for picking this one up and judging! Great job and congrats to the winners! Looking forward to the next challange!

04-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good choice for the winner and well done to all the entries. Well hosted Mikes, thanks for stepping up to the plate!
04-20-2011, 02:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeS Quote
Doubts aside, this is very nice :P .
Thank you Mike. It was a good original to start with.

Congrats to all for the good work; thanks for compliments.

I'm sorting out the next challenge. See you there.
04-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Congrats to all!

And thanks for the second place!
04-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice job everyone and thanks Mike for putting on this contest!