Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Well, as usual, my shot didn't show up in the thread. It's in the Forum albums. I
Let me attempt a simple explanation.

Open to windows in your browser, one with the thread of the day, the other with your album photo of the day.

Copy the BB code from your photo and paste to a new reply in the daily thread.

Then go back and copy the url from the top of the browser page of your album (http:www. pentax forums.....)
One more time back to the daily thread, highlight the code you pasted earlier, click on the hyperlink symbol (the globe with a chain) and paste the address from your album page into the dialog box that pops up.

Submit your reply and bingo, your photo should appear and when you click on it it should open a window to your photo back in your album.

Takes a while to get the hang of it but once you get used to it, it does make keeping up with everyone's offering very easy.

Last edited by jmschrei; 05-01-2011 at 06:56 PM.
05-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Suggestion

I am wondering, if it might be a useful idea that when we are posting our photos in the Monthly Challenges Forum, that we list the lens we have opted for above the photo.

I have been interested in what lens each participant is using, but to find out have to go searching to find it.
Exif is not always full enough.

Maybe I am being a bit pedantic, so even for the first 3 or 4 photos of the month might help.

Just an idea. Any thoughts?
05-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I am wondering, if it might be a useful idea that when we are posting our photos in the Monthly Challenges Forum, that we list the lens we have opted for above the photo.

I have been interested in what lens each participant is using, but to find out have to go searching to find it.

Maybe I am being a bit pedantic, so even for the first 3 or 4 photos of the month might help.

I think that would be helpful, at least for the first few days. Good idea Bruce.
05-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Why not. I wondered too that same thing some times.

05-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote

I always put the name of the lens and the camera in the filename. Been doing it for a couple years now. It really helps to ID what is what for us lens addicts (those who cannot resist having a lot of them).

For example:

K5JS5267_mFA43_SiM_May1_2011

The first 8 characters, the camera takes care of. K5JS = my K5 and the next 4 numbers are the photo count (I didn't reset it when I got my replacement K5 so the actual shutter count is around 1500 in this case). Then, _m is a separator so it doesn't get too confusing and also denotes that the file has been modified in some way (usually just convert from PEF to JPG). FA43 is of course the lens. The remaining characters tell me the purpose of the photo, if there was one, and should be self explanatory.

.. but yes, I've often wondered what lens some of you are using and have had to go hunting for it. Some way of disclosing it would be very nice to see.

05-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #51
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'll probably be asking a lot because I have always had difficulty linking photos for whatever reason. I've never been able to link any of my shots in Picasa. I'm link challenged.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/13842...ml#post1451139

Rather than retyping and reposting it... Hope it works for you.

05-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #52
Inactive Account

Is there a new group pool for the flickr photos or are we using the same one as in April?

05-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Same pool on flickr jeff
I thought the easiest way was when adding tags to metadata just add the lens ie smcm 28 f3.5
Thats what ive been doing
I just set up a new tag set each month and have lr add it automatically
05-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Same pool on flickr jeff
I thought the easiest way was when adding tags to metadata just add the lens ie smcm 28 f3.5
Thats what ive been doing
I just set up a new tag set each month and have lr add it automatically
That's what I figured.

ACR generates my file names when I do the conversions. I could probably use the tags too somehow but they don't do me much good when I'm just browsing a list of photos. Lately in any given month, I know the lens because I've stayed pretty true to the LOTM. However, when going back and looking at older photos having a quick way of identifying things, having the lens name right there in front of me is a tremendous help. Whatever works for each of us is fine of course.

I also notice that in a lot of peoples photos, there is no real EXIF, likely because they've uploaded a photo that is too large for the album and thus, stripped. I know having the EXIF in tact has never been a requirement of the games. We're all basically on our honor here but sometimes I would like to see how the photo was taken (from the EXIF).

05-02-2011, 04:55 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i agree seeing the exif would be nice sometimes. let me learn from others techniques (or offer constructive criticism that has a basis). As long as you upload a pic re-sized to 1024 or less long side and less than a mb it should be there (I just export one from LR set to meet these standards then upload it, that way any sharpening is optimized for the use. in flickr i have it set to visible so it can be looked at
05-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #56
Inactive Account

Ok fellas, now I'm peeved!

Last month some had Flickr only links, and try as I may, could not get in to comment! Those with PF links were fine, not that I caught up with everyone..yet!

From my end, all Flickr only shot's, when I tried to comment, the response everytime was "set up Yahoo account", followed by "set up a yahoo e-mail"...fine, does it cost me ...no I'd been assurred from mates here! But come the time to set up, always in the person's picture comment thingy, donk!, ..and nowhere! I already have provider for e-mail, why confuse things with another!

So, I'm peeved! Those Flickr bods with PF links I can follow, but those with Flickr only links...what's the easy way out..do I have to go to Flickr outside of PF to do this! Not happy Jan!

Well I am really, just...well confused! Sorry Anne-mari last month, just couldn't get into your account, and I'm loath to overload my limited resources!

Any ideas!

Cheers, and sigh, Paddy
05-02-2011, 05:23 AM   #57

Photos: Albums
Well, as these are really hard months for me(I mean money-ways) that means I really can't pay for account now so I just have to put my photos only on flickr... Also trying to come up with some other version but don't know yet how should it work...
05-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patolds Quote
Ok fellas, now I'm peeved!

Last month some had Flickr only links, and try as I may, could not get in to comment! Those with PF links were fine, not that I caught up with everyone..yet!

From my end, all Flickr only shot's, when I tried to comment, the response everytime was "set up Yahoo account", followed by "set up a yahoo e-mail"...fine, does it cost me ...no I'd been assurred from mates here! But come the time to set up, always in the person's picture comment thingy, donk!, ..and nowhere! I already have provider for e-mail, why confuse things with another!

So, I'm peeved! Those Flickr bods with PF links I can follow, but those with Flickr only links...what's the easy way out..do I have to go to Flickr outside of PF to do this! Not happy Jan!

Well I am really, just...well confused! Sorry Anne-mari last month, just couldn't get into your account, and I'm loath to overload my limited resources!

Any ideas!

Cheers, and sigh, Paddy
Paddy,
You should be able to open a free flickr account. They want you to set up a yahoo ID and password but you don't need to go beyond that and set up a yahoo email. A free flickr account allows you to have up to 200 photos visible in your account, the only reason to pay is if you want more.
05-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
Let me attempt a simple explanation.

Open to windows in your browser, one with the thread of the day, the other with your album photo of the day.

Copy the BB code from your photo and paste to a new reply in the daily thread.

Then go back and copy the url from the top of the browser page of your album (http:www. pentax forums.....)
One more time back to the daily thread, highlight the code you pasted earlier, click on the hyperlink symbol (the globe with a chain) and paste the address from your album page into the dialog box that pops up.

Submit your reply and bingo, your photo should appear and when you click on it it should open a window to your photo back in your album.

Takes a while to get the hang of it but once you get used to it, it does make keeping up with everyone's offering very easy.
I tried this and it posted a link but didn't display the photo but will if you click on the link. I've copied the url and pasted it in dialog box when you click on the insert image symbol (the mountain and sun) and maybe one time in ten it works. There is probably something I have to set on my computer that is causing this. The link works so I'll go that route.
05-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/13842...ml#post1451139

Rather than retyping and reposting it... Hope it works for you.

I'll try this method for todays shot. I still have to get out and shoot something.
Thanks Jeff!