Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in May

Thought I would kick off a thread for May. We have already been chewing this over in the Single In April thread but I want to extend the invitation to those who have not joined us yet or recently.

In short these are the rules of the challenge:

-Choose one lens
-Take pictures with the lens each day and upload one of them to the Daily Single in May thread under the monthly challenges group for the appropriate day
- Do this every day for the whole month

FAQ:

Q: where do i post my pictures ?
NEW
A: under the monthly photo challenges group you will find a thread for each day in May, post your picture to the appropriate day, just like posting a picture to any thread on the forum. You can store your pictures wherever yo like ie a gallery here (see below) or Flickr or photobucket or your own site, just post them to the daily thread that applies to the picture. here is the group page
Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Q: What if I have more than one picture worth posting
A: Hopefully you will, there is a group for extras you can start a thread there for your extras if you wish

Monthly Photo Challenges - Extras - PentaxForums.com

Q: How do I participate?
A: Create an album called "Single in May". Go to your User Control Panel, and under Your Profile, choose "Edit Photo Albums". There you can create the album.NEW - OR add them wherever you upload pictures see above but be sure to post them to each daily thread

Q: Once I've created my album, where/how do I submit my album to be included?
A: NEW now everyone can easily follow progress by subscribing to the daily thread (automatic when you post a pic or comment)

Q: How do I link my album photos to the daily thread? If you refer to the Single in April thread you will find lengthy discussion on how to link images complete with pictures. Once you get the hang of it it is easy and makes viewing and commenting on everyone's contributions very easy.

Q; what is the Flickr Group about
A: there is now a Flickr Single in group, if you use flickr please join in and cross post there. perhaps we will entice new unsuspecting members to the forum and the challenge through this venue
Flickr: Single Challenges (Pentax only)

Q: Must I upload a picture every day?
A: No, you can upload it whenever you feel like, but you must choose one for each day

Q: What if I miss a shot?
A: Do not worry about it!

Q: What is a "safety shot"?
A: It is a picture that you take early in the day as a backup if you get too busy to get the shot you wanted

Q: What about all my other lenses, can't I use them?
A: Not for this challenge, but you can shoot with them all you want

Q: If I choose a zoom lens, do I have to stick with one focal length on that lens? Or can I have the entire focal range?
A: You can use the entire focal range

Q: Is it against the rules if I use an extension tube together with the lens?
A: Not at all, you are still using the same lens!

Q: How about mounting the lens reversed then?
A: You can do that! :-)

Q: Is it just for curing LBA?
A: No! You learn a lot from using a single lens for a month, why not choose one of your least favorite ones and get to know it better?
A: You get a new bunch of friends who also shoot one picture every day
A: If you choose a similar lens as someone else, you can compare shots, image quality and share notes *aawww* :-)

Q: Is it hard?
A: The first 7 days are easy. The next 7 will get you on your toes, the next 7 will make you head hurt and if you survive that till the end you will have a bunch of fantastic shots spread out over a whole month

Q: What about that gallery, I do not have enough space for my pictures!
A: Have you considered donating to the site? It will get you a bunch of space and keep the site advertising free! You know you love it like that :-)

Q: Any hints with regards to the Album?
A: Take a snapshot of your chosen lens? Make todays picture the album cover?

Q: Photobook!
A: Yes! What a great idea, a book with photographs chosen by the challengers. Just remember to save the original files so you will have good material for prints

Q: Can I have a look at past challenges?
A: Yes, you can find them by searching single in under the member albums, or by Visiting the various threads from march under the group where you will be posting the May Pics.

04-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi ya Joe. Count me in!! Brother paid to have my CV joints replaced on my Dodge Aries today and a brand new battery, so I'm ready to go out and about hunting shots.
04-28-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Thinking...thinking....I really need my sensor cleaned professionally...thinking ...

Paddy
04-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Hmm.. Thinking... Don't know how the May will be... Might be some big changes in my life... And don't know if it is the right decision to make again every day a picture with my kit-lens... Thinking...

04-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If there is anyone who is considering joining the Challenge then they shouldn't hesitate. This is a great way to learn to use all your equipment not just your camera better. All the group members are extremely friendly and welcoming. Thanks everybody! Two months ago I was were you are now and now look here I am signing up for a third month.
04-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by annemari Quote
Hmm.. Thinking... Don't know how the May will be... Might be some big changes in my life... And don't know if it is the right decision to make again every day a picture with my kit-lens... Thinking...
hit the market and pick up one of those cheap Russian lenses anneemari
Hopefully positive changes holding your decision up.
04-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patjp Quote
If there is anyone who is considering joining the Challenge then they shouldn't hesitate. This is a great way to learn to use all your equipment not just your camera better. All the group members are extremely friendly and welcoming. Thanks everybody! Two months ago I was were you are now and now look here I am signing up for a third month.
I echo patjp's words.
Think about it as an opportunity to get to know your equipment, and a chance to learn about yourself and further your photography in the process. And the folks involved are friendly and helpful.
Fun and demanding, all in one. Cheaper than a sweet treat!

04-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in, lens still TBD but it's between the following 3, all m42

Super Tak 50 f1.4
Super Tak 55 f1.8
Lentar 21 f3.5 (after a month with uwa, this is a distant 3rd)

June I will likely do my Sigma 24-70 2.8 as it will be heavily used during NXNE (assuming my media pass is approved again this year). looking forward to it. biggest free show announcment has been Devo (last year we had free shows from X, Mudhoney, and Iggy and the Stooges - the stooges completely shut down the neighbourhood it was madness
04-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
I echo patjp's words.
Think about it as an opportunity to get to know your equipment, and a chance to learn about yourself and further your photography in the process. And the folks involved are friendly and helpful.
Fun and demanding, all in one. Cheaper than a sweet treat!
I'll plus 2 patip and Jools. may will be the 5th in a row for me and though it's challenging some days it's been a blast so far this year
04-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Interesting selection list, eddie. I would go with the 50mm f1.4.
Mo' street photography no less.

I am in the same dilemma, unsure which lens to use and waiting for spring/summer to arrive.

Looking at the Industar 50mm f3.5, early results are super promising.
Or the Spiratone 135mm f2.8
Maybe the Tamron 75-250mm f3.5-4.5
And then give the Sigma 10-20mm a try. (But I am doubting because I want to wait for later in summer to use it with an IR converted body)

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.
04-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
hit the market and pick up one of those cheap Russian lenses annemari
Hopefully positive changes holding your decision up.
Don't have adapter yet... Have my own 50 mm M42 at home, but... when changes come, they will be positive, but then I guess I won't have time to take my pic of day for two weeks, cause I will have to make pictures with another camera. Lots of pictures!
04-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
Interesting selection list, eddie. I would go with the 50mm f1.4.
Mo' street photography no less.

I am in the same dilemma, unsure which lens to use and waiting for spring/summer to arrive.

Looking at the Industar 50mm f3.5, early results are super promising.
Or the Spiratone 135mm f2.8
Maybe the Tamron 75-250mm f3.5-4.5
And then give the Sigma 10-20mm a try. (But I am doubting because I want to wait for later in summer to use it with an IR converted body)

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.
I shot a lot with the 50 last Saturday, i'm mixed i like the 55 better i think. the one i didn't list was the industar 50 3.5 which i just got as well. it's so damn tiny. of the ones you list it would be my choice (the spiratone would be my second. I have 1 135mm i've barely used as well, maybe i'll think about the k135 3.5 hmmmm)
i'd like to see the 10-20 but i think saving it for IR is a good idea. when the season hits i may shoot a few rolls of ir with either the lentar 21 or the 40 on my bronica
04-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in.

Finally decided on a lesser known lens (Rense may disagree)

Vivitar 55mm F2.8 1:1 Macro - Manufactured by Komine, and it was less than $50

Here are a couple of tasters...

I'm excited! And Scott is starting to get better.

Last edited by jackassp; 04-28-2011 at 11:08 PM.
04-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like fun and I definitely need a kick in the pants this Spring. Going to get my feet wet here with my favorite lens I never use: my A70-210/4
04-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@John - good to hear about your son! That lens looks really sharp and a bargain for less than $50.

@Jim looking forward to seeing spring in your part of the world.

Patrick