Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Fritz: That is one weird expression, some kind of shock spasm? or is there a little bit of "how dare you point your lens at me"
Thats the "can I kill that?" look. She heard a noise on the staircase behind me just as I took the shot. And being the hunter that she is, she always has to determine if it is prey or not.

QuoteQuote:
Fritz #2: Hehehe, sure looks like that was an exhausting trip to the beach, still she has a 1/10th of an eye open it looks like... "mmmfff....hmmm...picture again?...mm...zzzzz..."
Exactly!

12-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
A couple of days ago I briefly posted a pic of my new puppy, but had to delete it as the breeder screwed up and gave me the wrong puppy to take home. Really a bummer as I had picked it out as a Christmas present for my wife - and she'd already bonded with the pup.

Anyway, we met with the breeder and exchanged pups - now that we've had the "right one" for a couple of days, my wife has really bonded with the little rascal. Her name is Josie (the pup's, not the wife's) and she's 11 weeks old. She's a mini long-hair Dachshund and, depending on the resource, either a dapple or a piebald. Whatever she is, she's adorable!!
Cute pup! It's too bad about the mix up, but it looks like you ended up with a really nice one. They are very sweet dogs.
12-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #183

Photos: Gallery
Dylan My Desert Lynx

Taken this morning with the K100D Super and the 18-250 lens. No flash was used. It was taken at 110mm F-5.6, 1/40sec and ISO 3200.

Last edited by joelw135; 12-21-2007 at 10:26 AM.
12-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Ah, a hot dog Youre not going to buy one of those hot dog outfits for her are you Dachshunds are nice, those are great pics of it too
Thanks Andreas - No, I won't be buying any outfits, but you can bet my wife will!!

12-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #185
Veteran Member

Digging into the archives.

Sun worship!

12-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #186
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Sun worship!
Thats a brilliant picture
12-22-2007, 12:30 PM   #187
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and, lol. It's not hard for them to take over all our furniture in that place at least. That's our city apartment; a tiny 375sq.ft. studio. There's only that chair + ottoman, and a couch that's also a trundle bed (well, and two other small ottomans used as a eating-nook chair, that slide under the table). In the primary home, you know women... my wife bought about 3x more furniture then we needed. The living room has "three sitting areas". There's furniture I haven't sat on in a few years. The dogs know they're not allowed on that furniture (not that they alway do what they know is right).

Good transformation on that cat. I'm not tied to the format myself. Whatever crop is good for the image is good for me. I sometimes to 1x1 aspect even.

Love the colors of your wiener dog Chip! Very cute dog. (reminds me of that Sprint commercial ... A farmer orders Oxen, and has a field of Dachshunds running around, and he's on the phone wondering what he's gong to do with all those wiener dogs... ) Sorry to hear about the mix-up. It must have been tough at the time.

Fritz... very very nice composition. I've seen that technique with your dog too. I often forget to look @ the projection of the shadow and include it in the composition; I need to be aware of that as I learned from your images.

joelw135, nice to see you join the thread. I love available light; pretty much the only kind I shoot. Wow, might be the best ISO3200 picture I've seen. Did you use anything like NoiseNinja on it or other?

Here's a shot from a few weeks back. Was done much better by another on the 1st page, but, anyway... could use a shot of NoiseNinja myself...

12-22-2007, 12:43 PM   #188

QuoteOriginally posted by
joelw135, nice to see you join the thread. I love available light; pretty much the only kind I shoot. Wow, might be the best ISO3200 picture I've seen. Did you use anything like NoiseNinja on it or other?

Here's a shot from a few weeks back. Was done much better by another on the 1st page, but, anyway... could use a shot of NoiseNinja myself...
[IMG:
http://images32.fotki.com/v1045/photos/2/296054/5216914/IMGP8562-vi.jpg[/IMG]
m8o, No I didn't use any noise reducing program, just got it right I guess, I see you are able to get close to your pet, Dylan requires me to use the zoom as he doesn't like the in your face attitude. Have you tried one of those $5.00 from EBay white balance lens caps? I swear by them as they do a great job for a piece of plastic. Just type "White Balance Lens Cap" in EBay.
12-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #189
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joelw135 Quote
m8o, No I didn't use any noise reducing program, just got it right I guess, I see you are able to get close to your pet, Dylan requires me to use the zoom as he doesn't like the in your face attitude. Have you tried one of those $5.00 from EBay white balance lens caps? I swear by them as they do a great job for a piece of plastic. Just type "White Balance Lens Cap" in EBay.
Interesting. I will. I do however have to get my camera fixed first to use it; the rear screen is broken. I can't get into the WB mode to change it w/o seeing the screen. (yes, using my camera presently is as if I were using film )

Yep, what I'd read about good high ISO shots is to bias the Histogram map to the right of center (w/o over exposure) to get the best results. Of course again, w/a broken screen, I only discover if I got it right once I d/l the image to the computer.
12-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #190
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Interesting. I will. I do however have to get my camera fixed first to use it; the rear screen is broken. I can't get into the WB mode to change it w/o seeing the screen. (yes, using my camera presently is as if I were using film )

Yep, what I'd read about good high ISO shots is to bias the Histogram map to the right of center (w/o over exposure) to get the best results. Of course again, w/a broken screen, I only discover if I got it right once I d/l the image to the computer.
I have an ExpoAmigo which works similarly to the lens cap thing and a whibal, I recommend the whibal for good results, dont have to custom set the wb in camera all the time either.

See these two threads:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/13036-demo-whib...using-one.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/14474-demo-expo...vs-whibal.html
12-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #191
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joelw135 Quote
Taken this morning with the K100D Super and the 18-250 lens. No flash was used. It was taken at 110mm F-5.6, 1/40sec and ISO 3200.
Great shot and impressive for iso 3200, shows the strength of the k100d. I notice noise in the background but the cats hairs and the fact thats its in the brighter part of the image hides all the noise. I do recommend noise reduction in pp though, it works wonders. And some cameras that supposedly perform better at higher isos just do more noise reduction in the chip, might as well just do noise reduction in pp then. there are several good ones, noise ninja is popular and you can get a plugin for photoshop as a demo, it will create girds in your image but its great for testing the effect out. I use noiseware myself when I use iso 800+ and i think it works great, if I am afraid of detail loss then I will just do very heavy nr on the background thats usually not detail important anway and normally has more noise.
12-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As usual, my cat won't look into the camera. She's a difficult model.
K100D and SMC-A 50mm f/2.0.

12-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #193

Great shot and impressive for iso 3200, shows the strength of the k100d. I notice noise in the background but the cats hairs and the fact thats its in the brighter part of the image hides all the noise. I do recommend noise reduction in pp though, it works wonders. And some cameras that supposedly perform better at higher isos just do more noise reduction in the chip, might as well just do noise reduction in pp then. there are several good ones, noise ninja is popular and you can get a plugin for photoshop as a demo, it will create girds in your image but its great for testing the effect out. I use noiseware myself when I use iso 800+ and i think it works great, if I am afraid of detail loss then I will just do very heavy nr on the background thats usually not detail important anway and normally has more noise.
I didn't use post processing for noise or sharpness or anything other than frame as I wanted to show how well the camera handles these high ISO shots.
12-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #194

I have an ExpoAmigo which works similarly to the lens cap thing and a whibal, I recommend the whibal for good results, dont have to custom set the wb in camera all the time either.

See these two threads:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/13036-demo-whib...using-one.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/14474-demo-expo...vs-whibal.html
Best $5.00 EBay purchase I have done, I think the Expo disc would maybe do a better job.
12-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #195

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
As usual, my cat won't look into the camera. She's a difficult model.
K100D and SMC-A 50mm f/2.0.
Nice looking cat, some are willing to look at the camera, but most refuse.