Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #3211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok!! New lens... new pics.

Now trying out the Tamron adaptall 60-300 - arrived in the mail two days ago. It's a steep learning curve this one. Don't try this at home in low light as your first MF lens, that's all I can say... That or use a tripod Bokeh's lovely though. Not creamy like the 1.8/55 or a wash like the Tammy 90mm, but still lovely.

Doesn't seem as sharp as some of my others, but still very respectable!

Here is my Elsie Girl

And here is my Boy

I love the nostril flare

Just noticing the second pic is a touch magenta. whoops. thought i'd fixed all those. :ugh:

click on image for exif data

12-21-2011, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #3212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
purdy kitties!

theunartist - that's a sweet shot you've got there! she's giving Elsie a run on the manipulative looks..
Yeah, we got Naboo, Casper, & even Rick posted one (wonder what Henry thinks about that ). Here's one of Kitty I had to work over in pp to make it presentable. Taken at point-blank range in a dim room with an A50/1.7 wide-open, iso 1600 (something I NEVER do) on a K100D. Focus seems centered on the bridge of the nose instead of the eyes, and I did some de-noise-ing, which kind of smoothed-out the photo. Still, I like it a bit, in spite of all that...

12-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #3213
Veteran Member

i really like that one paul. your eye focuses on the bridge and her eyes are slightly OOF which just add to the effect. Do you use lightroom? I've never gotten higher than 800 ISO on manual lenses. I've only got the PDCU program and so far the noise reduction on there and in photoshop 7.0 leaves a little to be desired. I don't get fancy smooth results like yours!
12-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #3214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i really like that one paul. your eye focuses on the bridge and her eyes are slightly OOF which just add to the effect. Do you use lightroom? I've never gotten higher than 800 ISO on manual lenses. I've only got the PDCU program and so far the noise reduction on there and in photoshop 7.0 leaves a little to be desired. I don't get fancy smooth results like yours!
This was a jpeg & I did the pp in Gimp. If you want to give Gimp a try (it's not for everyone), I suggest downloading & installing the G'mic plugin. It's got a huge selection of filters, effects, and noise reductions. For this shot, I think I just used the standard de-noise filter.

12-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #3215
Veteran Member

oh ok... just a standard de noise filter? i've tried gimp twice so far but with no luck. then again it's been a while since i last used it. might download again and see if i've gotten any better at figuring out how to use it
12-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #3216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oh ok... just a standard de noise filter? i've tried gimp twice so far but with no luck. then again it's been a while since i last used it. might download again and see if i've gotten any better at figuring out how to use it
Stick to your K-x for the high-iso stuff and you won't need to bother much with de-noise filters Oh, and thanks for the comments!
12-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #3217
Veteran Member

Your welcome Paul

Yeah, even with the kx, some of the ISO shots have turned out a bit noisy. Maybe I'm using the ISO bits in the wrong situs. Who knows. Meanwhile Fred has come to inspect my laptop and is shoving his face in the way of the monitor. I think that's a hint...

12-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #3218
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Doesn't seem as sharp as some of my others, but still very respectable!
Hmm ... EXIF says 55mm (?) so, if you were at a longer FL, SR would not have been helping you as it might have (you used pretty fast shutter times though). Probably the Tammy just is not as brutally sharp as some of the other lenses (primes) you have anyway, but I suppose it might be fair to have it bolted down at least towards the longer FLs before a final verdict? But then having the wolfies bolted down does not sound like practical proposition . (Manual zooms are problematic with SR as the body only knows what you tell it as far as the FL goes ).
12-22-2011, 03:37 AM   #3219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Hmm ... EXIF says 55mm (?) so, if you were at a longer FL, SR would not have been helping you as it might have (you used pretty fast shutter times though). Probably the Tammy just is not as brutally sharp as some of the other lenses (primes) you have anyway, but I suppose it might be fair to have it bolted down at least towards the longer FLs before a final verdict? But then having the wolfies bolted down does not sound like practical proposition . (Manual zooms are problematic with SR as the body only knows what you tell it as far as the FL goes ).
yup, FL was set at 55 and 300 depending on whether i was at 60 or 300. and generally i hardly ever put the fl sr on the correct length anyway ( blasphemy i know), because i'm constantly zooming in and out to capture the action. oh yeah, don't treat my comments about the sharpness as the final comment by any means. got some absolute keepers later in the day when the sun came out shining. and it's only day 2 on this lens, so lots more improvement to come!

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 12-22-2011 at 03:48 PM.
12-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #3220
Veteran Member

Ok, more from the 60-300. I might try and stick with this one for a while (she says, looking at the collection on her coffee table)

Who's a happy boy??

i love how real his tongue looks.

"enough already, with the camera" she says..

So many potential conversations in this photo:

Fred: Hi, could I join you for a cuddle?
Elsie: Don't even think about it.

Looking at these pics today they look a touch yellow. Whoops. Still, I like the romantic air it lends to the pics. Artistic license.
12-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #3221
Veteran Member

12-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #3222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fine looking calico there! She even has calico whiskers!
I've had several calicoes over the years are they always have such interesting personalities.
12-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #3223
Veteran Member

Elsie trying to figure out why I'm still so enamoured with taking her photo

And here's the boy, happy to see me as always

kx, tamron adaptall 60-300. click on images for exif data
12-23-2011, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #3224
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Minnie has a new favourite place.

We went across the road yesterday to be introduced to the dog we're going to be feeding/walking for a few days. Sure enough, our two cats followed us across. Minnie, ever the sticky-beak, leapt the fence and followed us into the back yard, trotting round the corner only to encounter the dog about 3 metres away. Dog was not impressed at this invasion of its territory. Minnie can still run very fast and leap tall fences in a single bound

Richard.
12-23-2011, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #3225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One more of Minnie.

Richard.