Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I rescued Spike from the pound when he was about 8 or 9 months old.
He had some issues....

Actually a lady at the pound who ran the Jack Russell Rescue put me in touch with the people who owned Spike. I met them at a neutral spot and I knew with his ears he was going to have a hard time finding a home:-). My previous dog, Bandit (who I also rescued from the pound), who lived to the age of 15 was a Jack and I'd fallen in love with the breed. Spike isn't a Jack Russell but I fell in love with him at first sight. It wasn't till we got home that I started wondering what the hell kind of mess I'd gotten myself into, lol.
There were two or three times in the early days that I seriously considered murder, seriously. But I knew his potential and it has all worked out:-). The lady seemed like a nice person but looking back on how the husband acted, I've had to wonder just what he'd done to Spike. You couldn't pet him, he would not come to me. He'd come close but would never step in and be petted, he was a mess. The most hyper creature I've ever seen. He was the paper shredder from hell. We walked around the house for months with shredded paper up to our ankles. If he wanted to live that way while I was at work, so be it. As long as it was paper I was cool with it. When bills came in I "accidentally" left them where he could get at them. He shredded the shredded paper. I never beat him or yelled at him for it. Finally he started to realize that he wasn't where he had come from, that he was loved. And gradually he started coming around, he learned he could trust me. He's a very cool dog.

11-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zaara

This is my daughter's German Shepherd, Zaara. A beautiful dog, with unbelievable intelligence. (almost a smile for the camera?? hahaha)
Attached Images

11-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #63
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Real nice story. Nice to hear the nobal effort you and your family put in. We always dontate considerably to our local shelter. There was a dog there I saw recently I wanted to take home, but with three home now, me and my wife just couldn't do it.

The latest dog was adopted, Nala (the 'chubby' Shiba I've posted pix of, not the lean one if hte latest couple'a pix), has [has? well, mostly 'had' now] serious issues. Her owner left her at a pound at about 6 months to move to Las Vegas after her fatehr dies and step-mother kicked her out of the house, and she couldn't take her to Vegas for some reason (or the 4 huge dogs she rescued from New Orleans... SOME RESCUE!) ; we adopted her after she was there about a month. Flee bit'n and with worms from ingesting the dead flees. She was such a total terror; constantly beating my other dogs, going out of her way when running up to or from behind our other dogs to body slam them; much less but still somewhat, especially against our small Yorkie.

Early on, there was a fight over a dog toy, and Nala ripped the nyla bone out of the little Yorkie's mouth (Mimi, my wife's favorite, who does not understand how small she is rather think's she's a pit bull), taking two bottom front teeth with it; we thought a molar would come out too, but that seems to have tightened back up miraculously after being loose. A freind of ours dub'd her 'Damian'; she's this sweet inocent looking thing, while inside it lurking the devil spawn!

We could have lost Nala after a few weeks, when she was running down the length of the deck, she decides to jump up on the bench built onto the deck's railing, then onto the railing, to run along about a 10 foot length onto the other bench further down the deck. Well, she wasn't the most coordinated of puppies. She loses her balance and goes down about 13ft onto pavers; we're lucky it was there and not another part of the deck where it's a 20ft drop to pavers below! My wife didn't actually see it happen but surmised all of it, as she was rounding the corner of the house as the dog whooshed running by and heard the yelp, and found the dog sitting on the walkway below. I guess being a ball of puffy fur saved her. Took her to the vet, but she was seemingly fine; bone structure wise. A few weeks later she was spaid and had an 'episode' after, it was discovered from a more involved blood test she must have damaged her liver in the fall. But it heals and she's OK now. Being a few years older, whe'n not as nuts now, but still a girl we have to keep our eye on and scold every now and then; yep, no hitting em here either.

Yep, these adobted animules are a handful aren't they? They're so damn fun and lov'n tho if your the right kind of owner.
11-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #64
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
This is my daughter's German Shepherd, Zaara. A beautiful dog, with unbelievable intelligence
I can believe it. My 1st German Shepard when I was a kid about 35 years ago was incredible; Throw a stick into the woods in our backyard, and he would find -that- stick. People always say about my Shiba Inus "...and smart aren't they..." becase they look it... I just have to say "no, not really " After all, you can throw a ball and it goes into the leaves or a flower bed, and they neither see or smell it and could litterally pass their mouth over it and not notice it! Nothing like either Shepard I had, especially the 1st one which was just so much more intelligent then the 2nd one we adopted a few years after the 1st one passed.

11-17-2007, 03:15 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

heres my beautiful girl, missy..

and my other little terror... alfie

these cats are probably the craziest couple you have ever seen. they follow eachother everywhere and theyr favorite thing to do, is to sit in the wheelbarrow outside, when its full of rain water.. alfie is also obsessed with shaddows, so if u are walking etc, he will constantly try to attack the shadow,, sometimes i wish i was a cat,, life would be so much more simpler.. however... i dont like the chances of taking many photos or being able to drive a v8 drag car. so i think i will stay human for a while :P

Last edited by distorted_vision; 11-17-2007 at 03:21 PM.
11-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #66

Magic and Wrangler

No pets of my own, but my folks have two German Shepherds, Magic and Wrangler. I was up my folks home today and got some shots.

Magic loves his ball

Wrangler is more of a frisbee dog..always something else to see 90lbs of dog airborne

and with all that action...Wrangler needs his rest too...
11-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #67
Veteran Member

A cat with 3 legs

Here's my 3-legged cat, Rhys:

11-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #68

This is my best buddy.

Last edited by wildboar; 11-26-2007 at 12:19 AM.
11-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

animals are so beautiful... they are so much smarter than we will ever realise.... all these pics are fantastic
11-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Couldn't agree more. I love coming here and just looking at these pictures even though I don't have a pet. Great thread.
11-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #71
Veteran Member

This is one of the first shots I took with my k100d early last summer. Before I realized that the Av setting didn't work like I thought it would with my M-50mm f1.4. I couldn't figure out why stopping down the lens did nothing!

11-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #72
Veteran Member

M80- re German Shepherd. Zaara has been bright enough to chase off all Indian Myna birds (ferral menace) while at the same time ignore all other birds that venture into the yard.
(Just one example)
11-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Holly ... the mental border collie ... she chases anything and everything with the main yard (2-3 acres worth)

Phantom ... Pure-bred Arabian 2yo Gelding ... just grazing

The Girls in the front paddock ... Rosie (background) and Ally ... awaiting dinner to be served ... both Pure-bred Arabian mares
11-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #74

Simon, I know what you're dealing with. Here is a shot of my other dog. Not a pure breed Border Collie... but she acts like one.

Last edited by wildboar; 11-26-2007 at 12:20 AM.
11-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #75
Veteran Member

I could post another one ... but i need to wait till tomorrow ... hee hee
When i get a chance i am going to learn how to pan using my dog as a subject.
At full sprint she can get up to 50km/h (tested with my work ute on the long driveway on the other side of the fence)