Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18357 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2019, 05:00 AM   #9331
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Unfortunately, my wife growing up could not have a real pet due to her Dad's allergies so she was given "Fluffy" the porcelain immortal kitty that now resides in the corner of our den....I thought she would qualify....Happy New Year to all....(please accept my apologies for using Leica gear, but that is what I had with me at the moment).
I had a huge white ADS neutered male w/blue eyes once upon a time. Such cats are always deaf for some reason having to do with genetically-linked traits. I had to give him up, though, when I got a job that required a move, and the apartment I was able to obtain was in a "pet-free" project. The nice folks who adopted Honkey (he was all white, after all), Prof. and Mrs. Giacobbe, had a big porcelain cat just like your wife's, prominently displayed on the hearth in their living room. When I set Honkey down so he could check out his new digs (keeping in mind that, being deaf, his patrol methods were not like those of a normal cat), he finally came within visual range of the huge porcelain cat. He totally freaked, arched the back more than I'd ever seen and started hissing and groaning. Finally, he went over and batted the fake kitty upside the head with no response. Boy, that really set him off. He got up on his hind legs and began "kitty boxing" on that statue. Finally, when he figured out that it wasn't moving at all, he began to cautiously sniff. Funniest cat-fight I've ever seen.

---------- Post added 2019-01-02 at 07:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wmsnyder65 Quote
Stellar Stella!
Well, you've scored twice with one picture - that's a beautiful dog, AND a great photograph! I'd be interested to see the EXIF data on that one.

01-02-2019, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #9332
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I had a huge white ADS neutered male w/blue eyes once upon a time. Such cats are always deaf for some reason having to do with genetically-linked traits. I had to give him up, though, when I got a job that required a move, and the apartment I was able to obtain was in a "pet-free" project. The nice folks who adopted Honkey (he was all white, after all), Prof. and Mrs. Giacobbe, had a big porcelain cat just like your wife's, prominently displayed on the hearth in their living room. When I set Honkey down so he could check out his new digs (keeping in mind that, being deaf, his patrol methods were not like those of a normal cat), he finally came within visual range of the huge porcelain cat. He totally freaked, arched the back more than I'd ever seen and started hissing and groaning. Finally, he went over and batted the fake kitty upside the head with no response. Boy, that really set him off. He got up on his hind legs and began "kitty boxing" on that statue. Finally, when he figured out that it wasn't moving at all, he began to cautiously sniff. Funniest cat-fight I've ever seen.

---------- Post added 2019-01-02 at 07:01 AM ----------

Well, you've scored twice with one picture - that's a beautiful dog, AND a great photograph! I'd be interested to see the EXIF data on that one.
DLH: That's a funny story because my former dog (a Shiba Inu named Keeko) also began barking at the porcelain cat when we put it in the den....He crouched growled and then boldly approached as the statue obviously didn't respond to his territorial growls. Finally, he approached it, sniffed it, and begrudgingly walked away...wish I had a video cam with me to record that moment. We do love our furry family members don't we?
01-02-2019, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #9333
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Along the lines of animals attacking a enemy that isn't, who has not gone into hysterics when a kitten for the first time encounters a mirror?
01-02-2019, 05:46 AM   #9334
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Along the lines of animals attacking a enemy that isn't, who has not gone into hysterics when a kitten for the first time encounters a mirror?

01-02-2019, 10:27 AM - 3 Likes   #9335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeannie at the ponds in November. If there's no one around, sometimes I'll let her off leash. She'll race waaay ahead of me, then just park somewhere nearby, waiting for me to catch up
01-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #9336
Unregistered User

Had to throw this one in, even though it was taken with a Sony DSC-F828 (should have stuck with the Canon AE-1 - too early to experiment with digital photography, particularly when that 8 megapixel Sony cost about twelve hundred bucks). Both Ruger (the dog) and Squibbick (the cat) left this world years ago. Fine animals, loved everybody, especially each other.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 01-02-2019 at 10:55 AM.
01-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #9337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Had to throw this one in, even though it was taken with a Sony DSC-F828 (should have stuck with the Canon AE-1 - too early to experiment with digital photography, particularly when that 8 megapixel Sony cost about twelve hundred bucks). Both Ruger (the dog) and Squibbick (the cat) left this world years ago. Fine animals, loved everybody, especially each other.
So cute, I love it when they do that. My current dog/cat pair are not quite that cuddly with each other but still have some adorable interactions. I used to have a couple who would cuddle like this in the 90s and have some film pics somewhere of them.

01-03-2019, 12:22 PM - 7 Likes   #9338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few photos of our new puppy Winston, an Australian Shepherd.

01-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #9339
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Bob

nice look'in dog
hope you have a few sheep or if not kids Winston will round them up for you

Dave
01-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #9340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Bob

nice look'in dog
hope you have a few sheep or if not kids Winston will round them up for you

Dave
Hey Dave, thanks! On a small hobby farm... but only chickens here at the moment. We plan to do dog sports with him and get him doing other jobs. He's been trying to herd our English Pointer, much to her chagrin.
01-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #9341
dbs
Pentaxian

Its just well 'normal' for them
The Kelpie is the high jump king of the Australian working dogs ,yong Winston won't be any slouch though.
Happy times ahead for sure.

Dave
01-03-2019, 02:05 PM - 5 Likes   #9342
Pentaxian

K-1 and DFA 100 macro, 200 ISO, ƒ2.8

Out for the afternoon dogwallk....

Looking for something to photograph, the options after the dogs are severely limited.
01-04-2019, 11:07 PM - 5 Likes   #9343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frida, slayer of string
01-05-2019, 10:13 PM - 2 Likes   #9344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first photos of the year - taken with a point & shoot! But it was a gorgeous day at the creek with Jeannie. Canon SD1100 IS:
01-06-2019, 10:31 PM - 3 Likes   #9345
Pentaxian

Trevor and Maxwell

KP and Cosina 55mm 1.2