Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #9361
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tralee training, taken when she was just starting to understand weave poles.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-14-2019, 04:53 AM - 4 Likes   #9362
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

all four of 'em

Laney

Stormy

Finn

Remy
01-14-2019, 05:58 AM - 2 Likes   #9363
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tralee doing the tire obstacle during a training session years back. This obstacle is no longer used in competition. BTW, the tire is designed to break apart at the base to prevent injury if the dog strikes it going through.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-14-2019, 10:43 AM - 5 Likes   #9364
Pentaxian

From this morning's walk

Always lots of good smells where we live. I wish they could talk. We never know what the big deal is.

01-16-2019, 08:12 PM - 4 Likes   #9365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Our little guy and our big guy. Taken with an SMC 15mm. The resolution on both of these shots is pretty darn good, worth a zoom in if you're into that kind of thing.

01-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #9366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Our little guy and our big guy. Taken with an SMC 15mm. The resolution on both of these shots is pretty darn good, worth a zoom in if you're into that kind of thing.
Couple of lovely, sturdy-looking dogs. Watch taking the little fellow out early next week. Looks as though you'll be getting really dangerous cold. For all her long thick coat, we found Tralee was shivering uncontrollably during a walk on a bitterly cold day, but not as cold as what is predicted for the coming Monday & Tuesday.
01-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #9367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Couple of lovely, sturdy-looking dogs. Watch taking the little fellow out early next week. Looks as though you'll be getting really dangerous cold. For all her long thick coat, we found Tralee was shivering uncontrollably during a walk on a bitterly cold day, but not as cold as what is predicted for the coming Monday & Tuesday.
Yeah, it's -24C outside here at the moment. We keep a close eye on the dogs when it's this cold. That said, Finn our big guy is the most cold impervious dog I've ever met. His paws sometimes get iced up in warmer snow, but barring that, he can withstand a lot of inclement weather. Our little guy Winston doesn't last long outside yet, he's still wee.

01-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #9368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Yeah, it's -24C outside here at the moment. We keep a close eye on the dogs when it's this cold. That said, Finn our big guy is the most cold impervious dog I've ever met. His paws sometimes get iced up in warmer snow, but barring that, he can withstand a lot of inclement weather. Our little guy Winston doesn't last long outside yet, he's still wee.
-32ºC here. The dogs go out do their business and come back to the door immediately... no yelling at them to come back in the house today.
01-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #9369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adult dogs can withstand amazing cold without showing signs of distress. Two literary accounts come to mind. 1) James Heriot relates a story of a super-friendly farm dog that was never allowed into the house. He would sometimes visit and find it lying near the front door completely buried and invisible in the snow. 2) In the book "The Cruelest Miles" which recounts the serum run that is the basis for the Iditerod Race, along one stretch the huskies were running in temps at 50 below Fahrenheit (about minus 46C). When the team was changed at a way-station, the attendant found that essentially all the dogs that came in started coughing up blood because their lungs had frozen, and as soon as they thawed started to bleed profusely. All those dogs perished, but they had kept running right to the last.
01-17-2019, 07:33 AM - 3 Likes   #9370
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Huskies: dogs that live to serve. These three in Alaska, scans from chromes
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
01-17-2019, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #9371
Pentaxian

Adult dogs can withstand amazing cold without showing signs of distress. Two literary accounts come to mind. 1) James Heriot relates a story of a super-friendly farm dog that was never allowed into the house. He would sometimes visit and find it lying near the front door completely buried and invisible in the snow.
The border collies I had in my 20s when I lived in Perth, On were the same. They were kicked out of the house for eating my birthday cake one year and never came back in. In really cold weather they'd come in for 15 minutes and then stand at the door to be let out. After a big snow I'd come out and I could see their "breathing hole" a little hole in the snow the size of their noses. They be down there sometimes 8 inches under the surface of the snow. When they were fed they'd rise up out of the snow and you could see the depression where they slept, all curled up in ball with heir noses up.

2) In the book "The Cruelest Miles" which recounts the serum run that is the basis for the Iditerod Race, along one stretch the huskies were running in temps at 50 below Fahrenheit (about minus 46C). When the team was changed at a way-station, the attendant found that essentially all the dogs that came in started coughing up blood because their lungs had frozen, and as soon as they thawed started to bleed profusely. All those dogs perished, but they had kept running right to the last.
Murderers. A book about serious animal abusers. Their racing vanity was worth more to them than an animals life. They deserve jail time.
01-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #9372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Murderers. A book about serious animal abusers. Their racing vanity was worth more to them than an animals life. They deserve jail time.
No one anticipated the danger to the dogs, but there was unambiguous danger of imminent death if the serum was not delivered. Dogs (with no one thinking they might die) versus children who certainly would die if the medicine didn't get to them in time. Tough choice? Wrong choice?
01-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #9373
Pentaxian

No one anticipated the danger to the dogs, but there was unambiguous danger of imminent death if the serum was not delivered. Dogs (with no one thinking they might die) versus children who certainly would die if the medicine didn't get to them in time. Tough choice? Wrong choice?
Running dogs in -50.... ya, I think they might die. Maybe you want to call it death do to the incompetence of the drivers, so just dog slaughter instead of murder. I'm sure in their own words they didn't know the dogs would die. They'll tell you dogs with frozen lungs were running just like they did on a -10 day. They can tell you whatever they want. However, they are team drivers that killed their dogs. We're you really thinking they were just going to take responsibility and say "I knew they were losing strength but I just push them on anyway."

The truth is, they were so intent on this race thing, they just sacrificed their dogs. The well being of their dogs was not the foremost in their minds. Dogs died for their personal glory.

For me, having a dog team die should disqualify you from the race. After all, real northern folk know they are dependant on their teams and keep them in good shape to the best of their ability, and I would assume they would have learned to keep their teams alive in all weather. Southerners coming up just for a race have no reason to take care of their animals past the next dog change.

Last edited by normhead; 01-17-2019 at 08:15 AM.
01-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #9374
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Running dogs in -50.... ya, I think they might die. Maybe you want to call it death do to the incompetence of the drivers, so just dog slaughter instead of murder. I'm sure in their own words they didn't know the dogs would die. They'll tell you dogs with frozen lungs were running just like they did on a -10 day. They can tell you whatever they want. However, they are team drivers that killed their dogs. We're you really thinking they were just going to take responsibility and say "I knew they were losing strength but I just push them on anyway."

The truth is, they were so intent on this race thing, they just sacrificed their dogs. The well being of their dogs was not the foremost in their minds. Dogs died for their personal glory.

For me, having a dog team die should disqualify you from the race. After all, real northern folk know they are dependant on their teams and keep them in good shape to the best of their ability, and I would assume they would have learned to keep their teams alive in all weather. Southerners coming up just for a race have no reason to take care of their animals past the next dog change.
This was not a "race" it was an attempt to save human lives by delivering medicine to an isolated community in the middle of an Alaskan winter. One of the dogs is remembered, "Balto" who was the lead dog when the medicine was actually delivered. There's a statue of him in Central Park, NYC and of course there was an animated film, but who remembers the name of the driver? (Leonhard Seppala) And also, the real hero dog was Togo who, following his death years later, was mounted and is displayed at the Iditerod Headquarters. M & I saw him there. It is very sad when an animal is sacrificed to save a human life, but faced with the choice: eight dogs die or scores of humans die, is it a difficult choice or is it an easy choice?
01-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #9375
Pentaxian

This was not a "race" it was an attempt to save human lives by delivering medicine to an isolated community in the middle of an Alaskan winter. One of the dogs is remembered, "Balto" who was the lead dog when the medicine was actually delivered. There's a statue of him in Central Park, NYC and of course there was an animated film, but who remembers the name of the driver? (Leonhard Seppala) And also, the real hero dog was Togo who, following his death years later, was mounted and is displayed at the Iditerod Headquarters. M & I saw him there. It is very sad when an animal is sacrificed to save a human life, but faced with the choice: eight dogs die or scores of humans die, is it a difficult choice or is it an easy choice?
Oh, well that's different.
The true northerners have killed their dogs in many different situations, including when faced with starvation. It's part of life in the north.