Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18344 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2019, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #9376
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This little doggie hasn't faced many hardships in her lifetime - maybe being deprived of her walks on bad weather days

01-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #9377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The border collies I had in my 20s when I lived in Perth, On were the same. They were kicked out of the house for eating my birthday cake one year and never came back in. In really cold weather they'd come in for 15 minutes and then stand at the door to be let out. After a big snow I'd come out and I could see their "breathing hole" a little hole in the snow the size of their noses. They be down there sometimes 8 inches under the surface of the snow. When they were fed they'd rise up out of the snow and you could see the depression where they slept, all curled up in ball with heir noses up.
Our dog Finn would do this if we let him. Sadly he's a great Pyr and way too bark happy to be left outside for hours.
01-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #9378
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, well that's different.
The true northerners have killed their dogs in many different situations, including when faced with starvation. It's part of life in the north.
BTW: I checked on this diphtheria outbreak in Nome (1925-26). Help was sought by the local doctor sometime in December when he realized that: 1) at least four children had died of diphtheria; 2) all of his diphtheria serum was past expiration and therefore worthless; 3) the last ship had departed and Nome was iced in for the winter; 4) locally at least 2,000 people were at risk; 5) more extensively upwards of 10,000 people were at risk if you include the native Alaskans, whose exact numbers were uncertain; 6) the number of deaths among the "Eskimo" children was not and is not known because the people traditionally just bury dead children in the snow, or set them out on the ice, but do not report such losses. The serum run had to be made in late December-early January in the face of a blizzard, sometimes white-out conditions, with wind bringing the estimated wind chill as low as -78F (!!!). Several of the mushers lost fingers to frostbite, one getting his dogs up after his sled tipped over, another when the serum canister fell off the sled and he had to dig into the snow with bare hands to find it. Seppala did not make the last leg into Nome, but he covered more than double the miles of any of the other mushers (261). A second serum run was made later, including an attempt to use a plane, but that failed so again the serum was delivered by dog sled. At least three, possible seven children died (inexact information but I assume these were all Europeans, and the number is uncertain because no definitive determination of the cause death was made for those who died before the doctor realized the cause).

And I remember the last idea of the man who tried To Light a Fire to save his life, but the dog sensed that something was wrong.
01-17-2019, 01:52 PM - 3 Likes   #9379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Howard watching me scream at the TV (NFL Football brings it out in me)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-17-2019, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #9380
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I used to be a running back. I dip and dive and make my cuts. No one can sit with me on a sofa, I have to have my own chair. And my beer has to be on a sturdy table.

Last edited by normhead; 01-17-2019 at 02:17 PM.
01-17-2019, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #9381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
That dog really is a hound!
01-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #9382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to be a running back. I dip and dive and make my cuts. No one can sit with me on a sofa, I have to have my own chair. And my beer has to be on a sturdy table.
Exactly, but Howard was 'sawing a log' and when I suddenly reacted to a bad call, he sat up and started panting--hilarioius--he barked and then went back down realizing it was "Dad" foaming up about nothing that affected his world. Glad there are other fans here.

---------- Post added 01-17-19 at 02:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
That dog really is a hound!
All St. Bernard all the time.

01-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #9383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
This little doggie hasn't faced many hardships in her lifetime - maybe being deprived of her walks on bad weather days

The richness of perspective: A horizon at the very top enhances the long road; while a low horizon would dwarf the subject highlighting an immanent environment.

01-18-2019, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #9384
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it a ShiTzhu or a Furry Wrap?

"Nana" the 12 pound wonder dog curled up for Winter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #9385
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
The richness of perspective: A horizon at the very top enhances the long road; while a low horizon would dwarf the subject highlighting an immanent environment.

Thanks. Sometimes a phone cam is the right tool for the job
01-19-2019, 01:28 PM - 2 Likes   #9386
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Best Profile

Howard Up Close
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-20-2019, 05:43 AM - 4 Likes   #9387
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another picture of Tralee very soon after she joined our family, here giving the "quizzical" look that is supposed to be characteristic of Shelties.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-22-2019, 10:43 AM - 4 Likes   #9388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Phone snap of Jeannie during a warm October dogwalk:
01-22-2019, 10:13 PM - 8 Likes   #9389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter