Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18357 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2021, 08:14 PM - 6 Likes   #12496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When we lost Phantom back in 2012 we took on another ECS boy. Not a rescue this time (although we have had quite a few). He was 10 months old when he came to us that year. Of course, being the heir to the Phantom we could only christen him "Kit". Christmas day 2015, proud as anything with his Christmas present.

10-06-2021, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #12497
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finn

10-06-2021, 04:50 AM   #12498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Thank you, that's what I was hoping to communicate! I'm glad I was able to focus in time to catch that expression of rapture on his face.

The funny thing is, Duke is not Xi's dog. I don't think they had even met before. Usually Malinois dogs, and shepherds in general, are laser-focused on their owners and not much interested in strangers, but Duke was running around playing with all the dogs and begging for attention from all the humans. I guess he's a Labrador at heart.

Among the dogs at Tralee & Dahlia's twice weekly play group there was a grayish, somewhat small German shepherd that at one time I started scratching, It immediately leaned against me, looked up with the same trusting expression as the dog in the picture you posted, then gradually slid down my legs while turning belly-up. That dog would come running to me every time I appeared thereafter for a bit of loving. I suspect it was inept as a watch- or guard-dog. Much to my disappointment, the family moved to Arizona.
10-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #12499
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Among the dogs at Tralee & Dahlia's twice weekly play group there was a grayish, somewhat small German shepherd that at one time I started scratching, It immediately leaned against me, looked up with the same trusting expression as the dog in the picture you posted, then gradually slid down my legs while turning belly-up. That dog would come running to me every time I appeared thereafter for a bit of loving. I suspect it was inept as a watch- or guard-dog. Much to my disappointment, the family moved to Arizona.
There's an Aussie mix here (Maverick, I've posted a few pictures of him) who does the same thing. He leans against your leg until you start petting him, then slowly melts into a puddle at your feet. It's a very effective strategy, gets him belly rubs every time.

Oh, I had a bit of trivia for you: the lens I used for the Malinois picture was made in Northampton, Massachusetts. That's where Kollmorgen was based before they exited the projection lens business in 1973.

10-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #12500
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's an Aussie mix here (Maverick, I've posted a few pictures of him) who does the same thing. He leans against your leg until you start petting him, then slowly melts into a puddle at your feet. It's a very effective strategy, gets him belly rubs every time.

Oh, I had a bit of trivia for you: the lens I used for the Malinois picture was made in Northampton, Massachusetts. That's where Kollmorgen was based before they exited the projection lens business in 1973.
Yup! That's just the way Zoe would look. Kollmorgen at least for a while since I've been here has been making submarine periscopes. When I was connected to the Science Museum as a consultant, they were offering the museum a free "leftover." Trouble was, we (=museum advisory personnel) could not come up with an acceptable place to install it. The idea was to have it project through the roof so kids could scan Springfield with it. So the project eventually fell through. I'm not sure that the museum had the financial resources to have such a thing installed. It probably would have required a grant from some charity that supported the military.
10-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #12501
Pentaxian

Too bad you didn't get the periscope! I read that's how Kollmorgen got started, building periscopes for the navy in the first World War. Government contracts have always been their bread and butter; projector lenses were just a side-hustle for them between wars. They also currently make lots of servomotors. I've used their stuff in automation designs for work. I only ever knew about their servos before, so I was amused to see the name on a lens.
10-06-2021, 09:35 PM - 3 Likes   #12502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Evening walk

10-07-2021, 01:59 AM - 4 Likes   #12503

Majsan the cat
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-07-2021, 10:05 AM - 4 Likes   #12504
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Morning walk (wife is gone for a couple of days so I'm on all the walk duties)
K-3iii & 20-40
10-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #12505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Morning walk (wife is gone for a couple of days so I'm on all the walk duties)
K-3iii & 20-40
I wouldn't think of a walk in a place like that as a "duty." Beautifully captured.
10-07-2021, 10:02 PM   #12506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't think of a walk in a place like that as a "duty." Beautifully captured.
Thanks! Yeah as far as duties go it could be a lot worse! It's also a 10 minute drive so there is some overhead. But Luna loves it and I can always grab a photo or two here as well. I can live with that.
10-08-2021, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #12507
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Evening walk
Always enjoy the images you post, and Luna always strikes me as the perfect companion for someone who does a lot of hiking and x-country skiing. Dog walking is not a "duty." It's a good excuse to at least temporarily walk away from the madness of reality.
10-08-2021, 08:26 AM   #12508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Always enjoy the images you post, and Luna always strikes me as the perfect companion for someone who does a lot of hiking and x-country skiing. Dog walking is not a "duty." It's a good excuse to at least temporarily walk away from the madness of reality.
I don't disagree! Although it feels like more of a duty if it's miserable out. Like sleet or -30 or howling winds. We still have to go!
10-09-2021, 06:00 PM - 4 Likes   #12509
Pentaxian

Ludo the Malamute is back! His owner was away for the summer. I couldn't wait to see how big he'd gotten. He is now 9 months old and just crossed the 100-pound mark.

Max, about the same age, is a woolly husky. Pretty fluffy, but no match for Ludo!

Jupiter-9 85mm f/2
10-09-2021, 06:14 PM - 4 Likes   #12510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is Cadfael (after Ellis Peter's eponymous hero). He was surrendered to a Sydney pound in 2007 because he was "too old" and the kids wanted a puppy. He was 9.5 years old, horrendously overweight and had trouble moving about. We got his weight down and he would run with the other Spaniels. He lived with us for another 7 years and just shy of his 17th birthday. (K7 Sigma 24-60 f/2.8)