Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2022, 05:08 AM - 2 Likes   #13381
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Indeed, it is a wonderful portrait!

Annabelle has a shaved spot on her foreleg...is she OK?
To repeat an explanation I posted on a different thread, the vet thought she had bad teeth and some, perhaps all should be extracted. So she was anesthetized, and her forepaws shaved for IVs, but in the event all of her teeth were in good condition, even exceptional condition for a cat her age. Her teeth were cleaned of tartar/calculus/plaque at a greater cost than the cleaning of mine. In the posted image, her hair has only partially regrown. For her age,she's in excellent health, but she only has nine.

11-21-2022, 06:50 AM   #13382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
To repeat an explanation I posted on a different thread, the vet thought she had bad teeth and some, perhaps all should be extracted. So she was anesthetized, and her forepaws shaved for IVs, but in the event all of her teeth were in good condition, even exceptional condition for a cat her age. Her teeth were cleaned of tartar/calculus/plaque at a greater cost than the cleaning of mine. In the posted image, her hair has only partially regrown. For her age,she's in excellent health, but she only has nine.
Ah, good news! I'm glad to hear it!
11-21-2022, 07:58 AM   #13383
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, good news! I'm glad to hear it!
Our primary concern for Annie is that she likes to go out at night, sometimes hunting voles, and her hearing is none too good (I can relate to that). There are grey fox, red fox, coyote, big weasels (probably fisher, but it could be mink), bears and owls in the neighborhood. The owls worry me the most as Annie strolls boldly right across the middle of the lawn. I fear she may one night be taken up by an big owl, as she is about the size of local bunnies. We cannot lock her in as then Dahlia couldn't get out if required, and Annabelle would complain so the neighbors could not sleep.
11-21-2022, 08:20 AM   #13384
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Our primary concern for Annie is that she likes to go out at night, sometimes hunting voles, and her hearing is none too good (I can relate to that). There are grey fox, red fox, coyote, big weasels (probably fisher, but it could be mink), bears and owls in the neighborhood. The owls worry me the most as Annie strolls boldly right across the middle of the lawn. I fear she may one night be taken up by an big owl, as she is about the size of local bunnies. We cannot lock her in as then Dahlia couldn't get out if required, and Annabelle would complain so the neighbors could not sleep.
Still, she ought to be in. I know you know that. Our indoor gang are 100% indoors -- they never go out. None seems to mind very much, for which thanks.

It's been a while, I don't remember where I saw this, but it was an article about some cat-folk who built an outdoor "run" for their cats, an enclosure in the backyard wherein the cats could get outdoors, roam a little, climb a little, watch the birdies, etc. but were always inside the mesh/screen. It was rather elaborate, as I recall, cats used it a lot, safe from predators and other hazards.

11-21-2022, 08:26 AM   #13385
Pentaxian

Still, she ought to be in. I know you know that. Our indoor gang are 100% indoors -- they never go out. None seems to mind very much, for which thanks.

It's been a while, I don't remember where I saw this, but it was an article about some cat-folk who built an outdoor "run" for their cats, an enclosure in the backyard wherein the cats could get outdoors, roam a little, climb a little, watch the birdies, etc. but were always inside the mesh/screen. It was rather elaborate, as I recall, cats used it a lot, safe from predators and other hazards.
Where as when we moved up here, one of our cats (Lucy) only lasted 6 weeks. A wolf or fox probably got her, but we also have fishers. She was a great hunter, but I guess, live by the hunt die by the hunt. Her brother Fuzzy Boy always stayed closer to home, and died a natural death, years later.

For us the choice is cats or birds. We won't get another one, we'd have to take down our birds feeders. Mind you the bird food costs me more than the cat food would. Maybe someday, no feeders and another cat.

We've always thought it was cruel to stop animals from being who they are.
11-21-2022, 08:27 AM   #13386
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When we-re away for several days, Annabelle goes to Pampurred Pus. She has a nice, large enclosure with a shelf and litter pan all to herself, but during the day each cat is let out into the room. There's a pet door they can use to get outside into a pen of chain-link fence, covered across the top, generously sized. There's a shelf all the way around and numerous bird feeders outside. Sometimes I think Annabelle would rather stay there than come home.
11-21-2022, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #13387
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

For us the choice is cats or birds. We won't get another one, we'd have to take down our birds feeders. Mind you the bird food costs me more than the cat food would. Maybe someday, no feeders and another cat.
We didn't intend to have this cat colony outside, it sort of grew. Neighbors moved and abandoned their cats, some were kitten factories, yadda-yadda. But eventually (6-7 years ago now) we did haul virtually every one of them for spay/neuter, more or less stabilizing the population. We've lost some since (illness, injury, just plain vanishing...) but there are still a bunch that we look after and feed. Because of that, we don't have any bird feeders, although I would like to have one or two...I won't endanger the birds. I am cognizant of the danger to them, and fortunately most of the birds keep a safe distance most of the time.

11-21-2022, 09:09 AM   #13388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When we-re away for several days, Annabelle goes to Pampurred Pus. She has a nice, large enclosure with a shelf and litter pan all to herself, but during the day each cat is let out into the room. There's a pet door they can use to get outside into a pen of chain-link fence, covered across the top, generously sized. There's a shelf all the way around and numerous bird feeders outside. Sometimes I think Annabelle would rather stay there than come home.
The sounds a lot like the "kitty run" in the magazine. I'm sure she enjoys it!
11-21-2022, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #13389
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When we took in Annabelle, her owner also gave us a white tunnel-like bed, closed at one end. It could be a tunnel (closed) or part of it could be folded back to make a cylindrical bed. For about two years Annie thought it was wonderful, then she totally stopped using it so a few years later I gave it away.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
11-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #13390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We must have half a dozen cat beds in the house. Several are "official". either store-bought or received as gifts, several are ad-hoc, a blanket/towel/chairpad/whatever in a basket. The latter ones get the most use, Punkin has claims to two of them, Boo claimed one. We have one similar to the one in your image, given to us, but none of the cats will get into it.
11-22-2022, 04:55 AM - 3 Likes   #13391
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Finn, enjoying a romp across the field....

11-22-2022, 07:11 AM - 6 Likes   #13392
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two images of a dog (not ours) using good form through the weave poles. Because of COVID restrictions and limitations on where we take Dahlia for agility trials, so far I don't have a single image of her in action.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-22-2022, 10:18 AM - 3 Likes   #13393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

October walk in the woods with Jeannie a few years ago -

11-22-2022, 11:05 AM - 4 Likes   #13394
Pentaxian