Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18357 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #6736
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooz & Norm:
So sorry to hear about your pets. Thanks for sharing so many good photos of them here.

07-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #6737
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just in case anyone missed him, we finally had to put Dreamer down. His level of discomfort and hip dysplasia just got to be too much.
Norm, my thoughts are with you and Tess. We had to make the same decision back in 2012 for our 14 year old lab mix. We started fostering shortly after that because we couldn't decide if we wanted another dog. We adopted our first foster and have had a steady stream of visitors since.

How are your other pups doing? I'm sure they notice that he is no longer there.

Tim
07-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #6738
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Shooz & Norm:
So sorry to hear about your pets. Thanks for sharing so many good photos of them here.
What Paul said.
07-10-2015, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #6739

sorry for your loss Norm. Our girl Lucy has started slowing down a little more lately. We're hoping she's still got a few good years on her, but we'll take what we get. Any moment is good moment. Even this sleeping moment.....

07-11-2015, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #6740
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Norm, my thoughts are with you and Tess. We had to make the same decision back in 2012 for our 14 year old lab mix. We started fostering shortly after that because we couldn't decide if we wanted another dog. We adopted our first foster and have had a steady stream of visitors since.

How are your other pups doing? I'm sure they notice that he is no longer there.

Tim
Tripper takes these things the hardest, after Kenzie died he was depressed for 6 months. Dreamer was his alpha for two years... the two of them hardly interacted after that. But there were lot's of times Tripper and Dreamer ran through the woods shoulder to shoulder, and still would have if Dreamer could have kept up with him these last 3 years. So he's the one with the depressed look on his face this morning. Tia is just a pup, Misty, it's hard to tell, Dreamer was never really much of a part of her life except she was afraid to walk by him, so her life will be less stressful. He was already failing by the time we got Misty, she never knew him a full part of the pack. The last 3 years he's been a part timer. He'd go on a short walk in the morning just for him, but he missed everything long or difficult, the walks the other dogs loved.

The last time Dreamer was really able to keep up with the pack on outings was 2011.

Since then he'd always had special consideration if we could manage it, or was left home with a sitter. He was 12 then, and made it to 16 years old. Dreamer outlived 3 packs, and was on his 4th... more than 9 other dogs. In the 6 years I've known him, 4 other dogs, all younger than him have died. And he was 10 years old and had outlived a couple packs before I met him.

When I first met Tess 6 years ago, she told me he would probably die soon. All her other dogs did, (Pearl, Rudy, Yoda), Dreamer just kept trucking. If there were doggy old age homes I'm sure he could have made it another year or two. His needs just got to the point where two people in one house, even retired, weren't enough to care for him.

Last edited by normhead; 07-11-2015 at 07:22 AM.
07-11-2015, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #6741
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeannie & Tino wandering among the Indian Paintbrushes by the lake in April. All this is underwater now, due to lake flooding from excessive rains this year.
07-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #6742
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Thanks. I'm gonna miss that little guy. He was truly a great cat.
Sorry for your loss of a great friend.

---------- Post added 07-11-15 at 03:55 PM ----------

Just in case anyone missed him, we finally had to put Dreamer down. His level of discomfort and hip dysplasia just got to be too much. The old guy was in pain much of the times, but kept his sunny, cheerful, make the most of every opportunity disposition right until the end. That made it a really tough decision, weighing the two hours a day when he was a happy cheerful dog, against the 22 hours a day he was either asleep or in pain. The biggest part of the decision being the amount he's deteriorated in the last 3 weeks. He clearly had no hope to get better, has been on pain meds for so long it was getting hard to find anything effective to help him, and had sunk far below what you could call a comfortable life. What a gamer. No matter how bad he felt, he always got up for the bell, and made something of what he had left.
So sad. Dreamer will be missed by me and all who viewed your photos featuring him. The loss of a pet is terrible.

07-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #6743
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just in case anyone missed him, we finally had to put Dreamer down. His level of discomfort and hip dysplasia just got to be too much. The old guy was in pain much of the times, but kept his sunny, cheerful, make the most of every opportunity disposition right until the end. That made it a really tough decision, weighing the two hours a day when he was a happy cheerful dog, against the 22 hours a day he was either asleep or in pain. The biggest part of the decision being the amount he's deteriorated in the last 3 weeks. He clearly had no hope to get better, has been on pain meds for so long it was getting hard to find anything effective to help him, and had sunk far below what you could call a comfortable life. What a gamer. No matter how bad he felt, he always got up for the bell, and made something of what he had left.
My condolences to you and Tess. You must feel comforted by the knowledge that you gave him a good life.
07-12-2015, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #6744
Pentaxian

Any way, back to happy times....

K-3 - DA 18-135 -

My grandson is back in Alberta, Tess has gone off to visit her son, and grand niece and grand nephew, I'm just hanging out down at the old swimming hole.

This is what happens when you think you've got the timer set to 12 seconds, but it's set to 2 seconds... you aren't sitting in your chair when the shutter goes.

Tripper diving...

Tia diving..

Misty lost two sticks and a ball, when she gets tired she goes and hides her toy, but then she never goes and gets it when she's ready to go again... see that smile on her face, she saying " I put my toys someplace you'll never find them, but it sure is fun watching you look. "
07-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #6745
Veteran Member

Love your dogs. Miss Dreamer.
07-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #6746
Pentaxian

Dreamers been so weak, he never made it down this year.

More fun in the sun and heat....

I don't know why those border collies need those tennis balls, a stick is more fun.

Last edited by normhead; 07-13-2015 at 07:23 PM.
07-13-2015, 10:25 PM - 3 Likes   #6747
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My condolences norm.

07-14-2015, 04:49 AM   #6748
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry for your loss Norm, it's a rotten time having to put down a dog. Sounds like Dreamer was a really lucky dog...
07-18-2015, 11:32 AM - 3 Likes   #6749
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The indignity of being an indoor cat...

07-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #6750
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
The indignity of being an indoor cat...
Oh man Dave - what a great shot!