View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
01-25-2019, 05:28 AM   #9392
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Friend's dog Lily went shopping
They let the dog into the store? Amazing. At least here only service dogs are permitted into the vast majority of retailers.
BTW: Apparently we are losing the ability to have our Sheltie off-leash in any state property. Problems with dogs in the eastern part of the state has lead to a statewide ban on allowing dogs off-leash on any state-owned property, with a very stiff fine (we've heard it will be at least $500). It's a real bummer. Some of the state owned properties where we walk with Tralee we commonly see no one, and when we do, 90% of the time it's another dog-walker.
01-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #9393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
They let the dog into the store? Amazing. At least here only service dogs are permitted into the vast majority of retailers.
BTW: Apparently we are losing the ability to have our Sheltie off-leash in any state property. Problems with dogs in the eastern part of the state has lead to a statewide ban on allowing dogs off-leash on any state-owned property, with a very stiff fine (we've heard it will be at least $500). It's a real bummer. Some of the state owned properties where we walk with Tralee we commonly see no one, and when we do, 90% of the time it's another dog-walker.
Walter: I know. I was surprised too. I took that pic with my iPhone because I didn't bring my kit to the grocery store, but the store clerks were very welcoming. My friend says that as long as Lilly is on a leash or in a cart, they're accommodating. Perhaps in larger cities there's a grudging acceptance of this. I throw it out to the group to see what their respective experience is (I know my St. Bernard is given little or no latitude).
01-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #9394
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just did a little check, FDA (= federal) rules prohibit any live animal (dog, cat, bird, horse, turtle, scorpion) inside any business that supplies food to humans (grocery store, restaurant, food pantry, etc). However, it is unclear whether that "rule" has the force of "law" for which legal recourse may be initiated (arrest, seizing the animal, fine, etc.). I suspect that proprietors generally have the right to expel someone who has brought an animal into something like a grocery or restaurant, except unless there is a specific state law that permits service dogs to enter such premises.

01-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #9395
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just did a little check, FDA (= federal) rules prohibit any live animal (dog, cat, bird, horse, turtle, scorpion) inside any business that supplies food to humans (grocery store, restaurant, food pantry, etc). However, it is unclear whether that "rule" has the force of "law" for which legal recourse may be initiated (arrest, seizing the animal, fine, etc.). I suspect that proprietors generally have the right to expel someone who has brought an animal into something like a grocery or restaurant, except unless there is a specific state law that permits service dogs to enter such premises.
That would appear to be the law, but I see it modified every day, especially with small hand-held dogs..
01-25-2019, 07:53 AM - 3 Likes   #9396
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nana--The Undocumented "Service" Dog

I say this 'tongue in cheek": Here is Nana the "undocumented service dog" who has received sanctuary status in grocery stores....she is living under the radar somewhere in New Jersey at this very moment....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
01-25-2019, 08:14 AM   #9397
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
That would appear to be the law,..
I'll comment again, that an FDA "rule" is not a federal "law," but individual states certainly have the authority to enact a true law with penalties or punishments. I also checked on MessyChewBits animal laws and so far have been unable to find a law or regulation that bars animals from establishments that provide food to humans. Pennsylvania might or might not have a law on its books to regulate where animals are allowed. It's one of those complex "state's rights" leftovers from the compromises made in writing the constitution. VAV this in respect to animals, in New York if a pet is found to be malnourished and desperately in need of medical attention because a broken leg has produced a massive abscess, the owner can be charged in court with animal cruelty. In Texas under the same scenario, authorities would have to prove that the owner willfully intended to harm the animal, not that they had merely overlooked a health issue.

01-25-2019, 08:47 AM - 5 Likes   #9398
Pentaxian

I think the growing trend is that dogs are being allowed in public places, stores, and restuarants with growing frequency in some urban areas. The fear of zoonotic disease remains high in the minds of public officials, but they often forget that small children are far worse carriers of infectious disease, yet it's illegal to exclude them. The list of things you can catch from a dog in the grocery store is minimal if the animal is up to date on routine veterinary care.

Speaking of which, here's Wesley.

Wesley!
You are not allowed on the couch. Neither is your ball.
Pentax K-1 mII, K50f1.2
01-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #9399
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I think the growing trend is that dogs are being allowed in public places, stores, and restuarants with growing frequency in some urban areas. The fear of zoonotic disease remains high in the minds of public officials, but they often forget that small children are far worse carriers of infectious disease, yet it's illegal to exclude them. The list of things you can catch from a dog in the grocery store is minimal if the animal is up to date on routine veterinary care.

In connection with that, the nearby major water source for Boston (Quabbin Reservoir) has an extensive wild area all around it, some nice trails, but from the outset all domestic animals were strictly forbidden so we cannot take Tralee there for a walk even on leash (basic fine = $800). But I've wondered, what about that surrounding wilderness area with myriads of raccoons, squirrels, fox, coyote, rabbits birds that fly over the water, birds that swim upon the water, fish, turtles, and frogs that are in the water*. Why is the poop of a dog walking on a trail for a few hours so horrendously worse that the poop deposited on the same trails and directly into the water by the vastly larger numbers of wildlife including at least three species of canine all of which are doing it 24/7? Present that logic to anyone who might think about the law = might was well talk to the asphalt in my driveway.
01-25-2019, 12:50 PM - 3 Likes   #9400
Veteran Member

Ada, just getting over conjunctivitis.

K-1ii / A*85 lens test @f/1.6
01-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #9401
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Her eyes look clear enough now, very - well - cat-like.
01-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #9402
Veteran Member

Her eyes look clear enough now, very - well - cat-like.
She's doing well now, but had the left eye mostly closed for a few days there. If you zoom in you can see a little bit of dark discharge on the skin next to it.

(Sorry for the TMI everybody ....)
01-25-2019, 04:29 PM - 3 Likes   #9403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Testing the spider 2x rear converter in.... Boogie

01-25-2019, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #9404
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cat cafes are trending now. If they are in your state you can bet food and pets can be together.
01-25-2019, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #9405
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On keeping control of a cat outside: The old wisdom was take a dog out on a leash for a walk, a turtle on a leash for a crawl, or a cat on a leash for a struggle*. However, I once encountered a fellow who traveled around the country in a camper (self-contained Winnebago-type) who had a cat who was let out to roam freely at just about every stop. The cat was so accustomed to the camper being home, I was told, that it never wandered more than 15~20 yards from the camper, never out of sight of the vehicle nor so far it could not dash to its safety.

*AN ALTERNATIVE: Take a dog on a leash if you want to visit something that interests you, a cat on a leash if you want to visit what interests the cat, or a ferret on a leash if you want to visit everything.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-25-2019 at 07:05 PM.