Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2019, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #9406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I once put a cat on a leash on a clothes line. Went out 5 minutes later and stopped the cat from hanging itself. Poor kitty.

01-25-2019, 08:37 PM   #9407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I'll comment again, that an FDA "rule" is not a federal "law," but individual states certainly have the authority to enact a true law with penalties or punishments. I also checked on MessyChewBits animal laws and so far have been unable to find a law or regulation that bars animals from establishments that provide food to humans. Pennsylvania might or might not have a law on its books to regulate where animals are allowed. It's one of those complex "state's rights" leftovers from the compromises made in writing the constitution. VAV this in respect to animals, in New York if a pet is found to be malnourished and desperately in need of medical attention because a broken leg has produced a massive abscess, the owner can be charged in court with animal cruelty. In Texas under the same scenario, authorities would have to prove that the owner willfully intended to harm the animal, not that they had merely overlooked a health issue.
Sorry Walter you are patently incorrect. For example, Pennsylvania has state health laws that prevent non-service animals (they are protected under the ADA) from entering food establishments and other facilities. You got hung up on the FDA--they are guides, but States, under the health and welfare of their citizens and residents can be restrictive. (As an attorney, I was surprised by the leniency I have seen regarding non-service animals and their access to food establishments). Just saying....
01-25-2019, 08:48 PM - 6 Likes   #9408
Veteran Member

My cat enjoying the view.
Pentax 6x7, 105mm f2.4 on Ektar 100
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
6x7  Photo 
01-25-2019, 09:13 PM - 3 Likes   #9409
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Our new pet donkey

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-26-2019, 07:01 AM - 2 Likes   #9410
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remy

01-26-2019, 11:40 AM - 5 Likes   #9411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today's morning walk at 0 F. The snow piles continue to grow!
01-26-2019, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #9412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeannie down in the creek on a winter day:

01-26-2019, 04:26 PM - 3 Likes   #9413
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jeannie out on a walk with some Canadians...it was great to meet her and her human
Attached Images

01-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #9414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Jeannie out on a walk with some Canadians...it was great to meet her and her human
Never dreamed I would see photos of Jeannie posted by others in this thread! Let's go full-bore and get a flood going, I guess (likewise, Charlie )

Last edited by paulh; 01-27-2019 at 02:13 PM.
01-26-2019, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #9415
Pentaxian

Hell has officially frozen over. And it's not related to the weather we are having.

It's not uncommon to find Izzy on the loveseat.

And Moe on one of the two dog beds.

Or visa versa.

But we never see the two lay down next to each other.

Tim
01-26-2019, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #9416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A cat that belongs to the city – a street cat in Calcutta
01-26-2019, 08:00 PM - 3 Likes   #9417
Veteran Member

Kitty looking handsome.
Rolleicord IV/Rolleinar 2 on Portra 400
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
01-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #9418
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Sorry Walter you are patently incorrect. For example, Pennsylvania has state health laws that prevent non-service animals (they are protected under the ADA) from entering food establishments and other facilities. You got hung up on the FDA--they are guides, but States, under the health and welfare of their citizens and residents can be restrictive. (As an attorney, I was surprised by the leniency I have seen regarding non-service animals and their access to food establishments). Just saying....
Also, that rules promulgated pursuant to statutes have whatever level of enforcement authority, including criminal prosecutions, the statutes provide. That's generally pretty broad and courts give utmost deference to the decisions of administrative agencies, particularly where an administrative law judge (i.e., an "Article I judge" as opposed to an "Article III judge") has made a determination. Walter might like to take a look at the Tenth Amendment as well as to the breadth of states' powers under the Constitution (generally plenary as to health, education, public welfare, public safety and the police power).

As to leniency with respect to non-service animals, I think that's more due to confusion on the part of businesses than anything else. The ADA is mainly implemented in state law, that can vary wildly. E.g., in Virginia, only a dog can be a "service animal" (even though the federal rules permit miniature horses), and there's no such thing as a "emotional support animal". Moreover, unless the dog has a leash, collar, or harness that contains the legend, "Trained Service Dog", it isn't, even if it's a bona-fide guide dog for the visually impaired ("seeing-eye dog"). And the use of "counterfeit service animals" is a criminal offense.

Here's an example from the Code of Virginia:

§ 3.2-5115. Animals. "No animal shall be permitted in any area used for the manufacture or storage of food products. A guard or guide animal may be allowed in some areas if the presence of the animal is unlikely to result in contamination of food, food contact surfaces, or food packaging materials. Additionally, a dog may be allowed within a designated area inside or on the premises of, except in any area used for the manufacture of food products, a distillery licensed pursuant to § 4.1-206, a winery or farm winery licensed pursuant to § 4.1-207, or a brewery or farm brewery licensed pursuant to § 4.1-208."

Last edited by Unregistered User; 01-27-2019 at 08:40 AM.
01-27-2019, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #9419
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
2 Halves of Howard

Howard -- Front & Back
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
01-27-2019, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #9420
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
They let the dog into the store?
When Zoe was still alive every time I went to Petco she went along. Many customers take their dogs there. It allows the animal to participate in the shopping experience for their food, toys and other paraphernalia.