Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18349 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 03:04 PM   #12451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Tripper Dawg is dead.... long live Chase.
That first photo is adorable I'm trying to picture Tripper...white/black border collie? Sorry to hear, did you lose him just recently?

09-15-2021, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #12452
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
That first photo is adorable I'm trying to picture Tripper...white/black border collie? Sorry to hear, did you lose him just recently?
We lost him back on May 5th.

When still young.

Getting near the end.
09-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #12453
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We lost him back on May 5th.

When still young.

Getting near the end.
Condolences, Norm. Always difficult to lose a beloved family member. I know Chase will have a long and happy life with your love and care. He's wonderful!
09-16-2021, 07:47 AM - 5 Likes   #12454
Pentaxian

More from yesterday. After one day, the little guy is sleeping with Misty and trying to run with the pack, and has started making up his own trails that are minor deviations from the "Puppy loop". This is his second day here, so he's fitting right in. It looks like he'll be graduating to a longer loop within a week or so.

In the woods on the puppy loop.

We still pick him up when he gets tired, although this morning he made it the whole way.
Kisses for Tess.

In the yard

Fuzzy, but we can't delete it.

Look at this leaf I found.

I have my eye on you.

09-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #12455
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
He looks a right bundle of joy,Norm, and very photogenic.
09-16-2021, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #12456
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
He looks a right bundle of joy,Norm, and very photogenic.
He still doesn't have much bladder control, so it's more like a bundle of pee.
09-17-2021, 01:38 PM - 7 Likes   #12457
Pentaxian

Our pooch, Rufus. K5 IIS + FA 43mm limited

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 09-17-2021 at 01:45 PM.
09-17-2021, 02:12 PM - 3 Likes   #12458
Pentaxian

Afternoon dogwalk - for the next month or two it's probably going to be all about the puppy.
K-1 and D-FA 100 Macro WR

Just hanging with the other dogs.

Hydrating after a walk on a hot day.
09-19-2021, 09:17 AM - 5 Likes   #12459
Pentaxian

hangin with the puppers as they take turns rolling on a dead worm.....K-3ii...Tamron 90/2.8DI...af360fgz

09-19-2021, 05:34 PM - 5 Likes   #12460
Pentaxian

Sorry, Porkchop. What Jackson wants, Jackson gets.

09-20-2021, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #12461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Sorry, Porkchop. What Jackson wants, Jackson gets.

What a fun series! Final pic made me LOL! and look at that swirly bokeh…a helios?
09-20-2021, 05:45 PM - 5 Likes   #12462
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
What a fun series! Final pic made me LOL! and look at that swirly bokeh…a helios?
I never get tired of watching those two bicker over anything they can carry. I was hoping someone would ask about the lens, so thank you! It's another 16mm projector lens I found for $25 on eBay. It's a Simpson Optical 3in f/2 (3 inches is 75mm). I took it apart to see what the lens formula was, and found just two pieces of glass, a cemented doublet at each end. Basically a Petzval, which are also known for their swirl. I had to design and 3d-print my own adapter to use it, but it was worth it. I really like this lens, especially the colors it gives.

This dog threw me for a loop. I have seen red huskies before, but never a red merle! I looked it up, and apparently merle huskies are "a thing", but not recognized and strongly discouraged by breeding clubs due to the high risk of defects (deafness, blindness, immune disorders, etc) with the merle gene. Still... they are beautiful!

09-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #12463
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
This dog threw me for a loop. I have seen red huskies before, but never a red merle! I looked it up, and apparently merle huskies are "a thing", but not recognized and strongly discouraged by breeding clubs due to the high risk of defects (deafness, blindness, immune disorders, etc) with the merle gene. Still... they are beautiful!
Fun series, thanks! Nicely captured too!

I know with Aussies the Merle gene is only a problem if you breed two Merle's together - that's a big no-no. Is a single Merle a problem with Huskies?
09-20-2021, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #12464
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Fun series, thanks! Nicely captured too!

I know with Aussies the Merle gene is only a problem if you breed two Merle's together - that's a big no-no. Is a single Merle a problem with Huskies?
Thank you! I did some more reading, and it doesn't look like huskies are any more vulnerable to merle problems than other breeds, but breed standards are supposed to remain a pure genetic lineage as much as possible, and the merle gene was not historically part of the husky lineage. This is a statement from the Siberian Husky Club of America (SHCA):

QuoteQuote:
Why does the Siberian Husky Club of America not want the merle gene introduced into our breed? First, from the vast photographic history of the breed there is no evidence that merle purebred Siberian Huskies existed or exist. Since the merle gene is dominant it could not have been “hidden” for all these years. By understanding these facts it is obvious that merle Siberians could only be produced by impure breeding, whether intentional or not. Second the genes that are involved in determining pigmentation and coloring also have significant effects on the development of eyesight and hearing. Dogs with just one merle gene do not seem to have major problems in this regard – but there is some evidence that even these dogs may be affected but just to a lesser degree that may be difficult to determine without specialized testing – but when two merle dogs are bred together there is a 25% chance that they will produce a double merle dog (“lethal white” or “double dilutes” are misnomers) – a dog that has two copies of the merle gene. The health consequences of double merle puppies vary from mild to severe and will not be apparent until the puppies are two weeks of age or older. Some puppies may be born deaf, some born blind and some born deaf and blind. Vision problems cover a wide variety of problems up to and including total blindness, small eyes or missing eyes altogether. Other eye conditions seen include eccentric pupils (also known as “dropped” pupil), underdevelopment (hypoplasia) of the iris so it is not able to function properly (often these dogs will squint in bright sunlight), and irregularly shaped (“starburst”) pupils. Other eye disorders are also possible. These health concerns may necessitate the need to euthanize a 2 week old or older, puppy.
An Aussie I've posted a few pictures of, Mika, I'm pretty sure was double merle. She had all the visual traits: mostly white with pink mottled nose and lips. She was deaf, and although she could see, her eyes were tiny, with pupil defects that made her struggle in bright light. Of course, she's a wonderful dog despite all that. She was Porkchop's favorite playmate before she moved away to California.

09-21-2021, 04:30 AM - 3 Likes   #12465
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I did not expect Finn to be my model yesterday, but here he is...

first with the Primoplan 58/1.9:

and next with the SMC 35/2:

(I count myself lucky that he sat still long enough for either shot)