Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2019, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Wrong, I only do mine with a tripod with a geared tripod head on it. Very quick, very precise, better results.
Ok, perhaps I overkilled things with that 'all', there will always be that one person!
But no seriously, tripod all you like, if it works for you then that's great, I'm just referring that I know of a few excellent brenizer folk that manage the shots without one, it's just not really needed and with portrait work can slow things down a tad. I guess it all comes down to the situation you're in, I wouldn't for example want people to think "Aw man... this is a great Brenizer opportunity! But darn it! I forgot my tripod! Shame!", because that simply would be giving out bad advice. I have completed all my brenizers without a tripod as many others have as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I appreciate the great response.
Let me say I use my ks2 on manual. Last time I used my nikkor 105 2.5. Tried the 77 before that. My sigma 70 gave me my best result but I don't like it's bokeh so it defeats the purpose. I use Photoshop cs6.
With basic panoramas I have found a lens with less distortion is better. My sigma 18-35 is better than my sigma 10-20 despite needing more frames.
It sounds like you have gotten good at limiting the camera movement, that's something I can work on. I am guessing the shot you posted has about an arc of 30 degrees between the 7 shots. Is that about the most or do you think you could get a good shot turning 360 degrees?
I think the 77 on the S2 would be my choice for lens to practice with. Remember, if you have LR available you could apply Lens Profile Correction to each of the FA77 shots before stitching, this might assist with working out the natural heavy vignetting and distortion, it might make for a more successful stitch. When in Photoshop for the stitching do you see a 'remove vignetting' check box for the stitching?

I think the arc is something I just say to myself 'that's far enough', and it varies from distance to subject, further back you are I think you can widen things a bit more, closer and it is harder. This shot of my neighbour Eric was taken with a Tak 135/2.8, he was moving and had been living in this house for decades so wanted to give him a nice shot as a going away gift;

Probably my largest brenizer here, 67 jpgs stitched so yeah I don't think tripodding would really have assisted with this, probably do the opposite tbh.

04-03-2019, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #227
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I finally feel I got something of the sort. I tried a few more. decided to stick with 10 frames tops and very little arc. I found this not only cut my processing time way down but it let me focus more on holding the camera steady there were also no straight lines to worry about. The white bucket in the background is strangely distorted but I can live with that. The gain in the 3d pulls my eye away from this distorted bright object. I will worry more of the background composition as I learn to visualize better with multi-frames. I am encouraged going forward I can do it now.

Thanks all.
04-03-2019, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally feel I got something of the sort. I tried a few more. decided to stick with 10 frames tops and very little arc. I found this not only cut my processing time way down but it let me focus more on holding the camera steady there were also no straight lines to worry about. The white bucket in the background is strangely distorted but I can live with that. The gain in the 3d pulls my eye away from this distorted bright object. I will worry more of the background composition as I learn to visualize better with multi-frames. I am encouraged going forward I can do it now.

Thanks all.
I think you did great here.

My own observations with Brenizers when doing Macro stuff is that they can lose the 'vibe' quite easily and I have no idea why. I took this 30 shot brenizer with the Samyang 85/1.4, nothing wrong with my stitching, focus, but yet somehow the image falls pretty flat imo (unlike irek83's 13 and a measly 9 shots above);

So I would just say that perhaps if all this time you were struggling and your attempts were around the macro genre that might add to the confusion and/or frustration. It could be your technique is fine, it's the genre+brenizer technique in this regard that is proving tricky.
04-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #229
Pentaxian

Haha. No this is just my backyard so I had limited choices. This isn't macro to me. I'm usually above 1:1 . I was shooting a 2 story bridge and rosebush from 8 meters last time.
The branch definitely works in your picture. Is it perhaps there is nothing around for depth to pull through? I will figure it out.

04-03-2019, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha. No this is just my backyard so I had limited choices. This isn't macro to me. I'm usually above 1:1 . I was shooting a 2 story bridge and rosebush from 8 meters last time.
The branch definitely works in your picture. Is it perhaps there is nothing around for depth to pull through? I will figure it out.
Yeh I am a little extreme with my wording, such as my 'all' in a previous post and 'macro' here hehehe.

Try doing bucket or whatever, remember it's possible to just practice with boring static stuff, I use my mailbox often
04-03-2019, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I think you did great here.

My own observations with Brenizers when doing Macro stuff is that they can lose the 'vibe' quite easily and I have no idea why. I took this 30 shot brenizer with the Samyang 85/1.4, nothing wrong with my stitching, focus, but yet somehow the image falls pretty flat imo (unlike irek83's 13 and a measly 9 shots above);

So I would just say that perhaps if all this time you were struggling and your attempts were around the macro genre that might add to the confusion and/or frustration. It could be your technique is fine, it's the genre+brenizer technique in this regard that is proving tricky.
I'd say it's because very shallow depth of field is normal when focusing close as the depth of field is naturally shallower. The "vibe" comes from "unnaturally" shallow depth of field when focusing on something further away.
04-10-2019, 09:02 PM - 3 Likes   #232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Easter Hat Parade Day

Another very mild brenizer, only 3 shots taken with the FA43 in portrait orientation aspect, the additional frame to the left and right of the middle I feel just rounds the shot out nice than a single portrait middle shot and perhaps has more punch than a single landscape shot taken further back and cropped to a similar ratio. It's certainly a pretty easy shot to manage, little hassle for something that has a little extra going for it, however I wouldn't really call this brenizer per se, just a nice shot.
04-19-2019, 05:38 AM - 2 Likes   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Iíve been looking back at my photos and I think I am getting a clearer understanding of when I should try this method. I think I should have tried it with the the first shot if I wanted a wider view like the 2nd photo but with the blurry background. Am I correct?

When I shot these I was going for the long lens view (pulling the mountains and road closer and bigger) and the wide view of expansiveness. Which is a new understanding for me, meaning I got what I wanted and knew which lenses to use.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
04-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
Iíve been looking back at my photos and I think I am getting a clearer understanding of when I should try this method. I think I should have tried it with the the first shot if I wanted a wider view like the 2nd photo but with the blurry background. Am I correct?

When I shot these I was going for the long lens view (pulling the mountains and road closer and bigger) and the wide view of expansiveness. Which is a new understanding for me, meaning I got what I wanted and knew which lenses to use.
Yep that is pretty much correct. The wide angle shot, if the girl was closer to you would have had a stronger emphasis on portrait than the overall scene, but still not ignoring the scene. I think of brenizers as 'environmental portraits'.
04-27-2019, 09:35 AM - 4 Likes   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a bunch of "Cy" sculptures that were placed around our city a while ago. Cy is the university mascot at Iowa State, a cardinal that lives in a tornado or something like that ... anyway, there were originally 30 of them, though some have since been auctioned off, and occasionally I'll run across one I hadn't seen before. I started working on these as a Brenizer project, but soon realized it was problematic that most were placed directly in front of businesses, so there can be too little space between subject and background to make dramatic bokeh.

Sticking with the idea of multiple wide open shots, but expanding the sweep to something more like a traditional panorama, has been producing some fun results although it can take a long time to capture a scene. The "focus plane" in Brenizer shooting is effectively spherical, so you can still get plenty of blur as you pan away from the subject. Different projections in the stitching software (equirectangular, cylindrical, rectilinear) seem to make sense for different scenes. One from yesterday in front of the police station:

Cy at the Cop Shop - K50/1.2, equirectangular projection

In the Somerset neighborhood on a sleepy Sunday morning:

Cy on North Stange - K50/1.2, rectlinear projection

So ... I don't know if this entirely qualifies for the topic here, but it's been an interesting direction to veer off into.
04-27-2019, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
In the Somerset neighborhood on a sleepy Sunday morning:
This shot has a great lens-distortion effect - works beautifully.
04-30-2019, 04:25 AM - 4 Likes   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another mild brenizer, 3 portrait orientated shots again;

04-30-2019, 10:19 AM - 4 Likes   #238
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A gate on the private road that accesses my neighbor's property, and ultimately mine. Using the Brenizer method, I merged eight images and processed in Photoshop. Pentax K5IIs, Sigma 135mm f2.8 Pantel lens.

04-30-2019, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #239
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Same road as the previous post, a bit different perspective, covering more area. More images too, 14 shots make up this scene.

05-05-2019, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #240
Pentaxian

A mild Brenizer as I didn't cover enough of the area and had to crop more than I'd have liked.

K-3 and 85mm f/2.

Fountain Brenizer
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr