Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Millennium Generation Photos

Inspired by dgaies's thread Let my 4 year-old loose with a K200D and FA43 - PentaxForums.com, I wanted to start a thread with contributions from the next generation of Pentaxians of childhood age (let's say Gen 2k+ )

So let's see what these internet, Xbox, Playstation, Wii and otherwise techno-savvy kids can do behind the lens...

I'll start off with my 5 year old daughter, let loose with a K-x and the gorgeous little DA 35 for the first time:

Here she is with it:

And here's what she got with it:

Only slight cropping on some of the images were needed, and auto levels performed for JPEG conversion. Not bad for a beginner.

06-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like it. A cross post from the K-x portraits thread, but what the hell.

my 3.5 year old shooting me with a K-x and 55-300 DA L and me shooting him with my phone.

I tried him out with a Pentax M 50mm f1.7, that didn't work out so well.

06-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

It's no doubt a fun exercise, and one that can be good to see the progression of images with time.
At the beginning, I'm expecting trigger happiness and a lot of culling on the computer, but some fine results can be gotten.

Look forward to more...
06-26-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My favourite niece with my K20d

And 5 seconds later, she made this one....

06-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #5

...Those are flippin awesome man,great to see their perspective on the world....Bravo!
06-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ash, Your daughter is brilliant, abstracts, action, portraits, candid. Very nice, is it heredity or osmosis? You may have set the bar a little to high for the 3.5 year old making him shoot manual focus, but I'm sure he'll do fine.

Very enjoyable!

Rense,

She did good! But your photo of her is striking!
06-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Rense, excellent work by your niece, the bokeh and composition just works!
Thanks Tom, she's still at the spraying stage (300+ shots in less than half an hour, you know, with 10 shots of the same subject with the same perspective) but with more practice and guidance she'll get there.

The challenge is not so much for her to find something interesting to shoot, but to think about converting motive to perspective and framing. I'm sure that'll come later with time.

07-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My niece started playing "hide from the camera" last year, so I decided to give her the camera instead. She's 9. I put on the SMC Pentax-F 28/2.8, popped up the flash and turned on live view - she didn't want to use the viewfinder. I think P mode was a mistake because she accidentally turned one of the e-dials. Everything was at f2.8. I would have used the kit lens if I had it with me. I chose the 28 because it was small, light and normal. She had fun, and it might help me get some shots in the future. Her mom casually asked how much the camera cost. A tip: don't answer this question honestly, unless you want mom to turn pale.

07-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good one Dave.
Perhaps Auto Pict/Green modes are better for them at the childhood stage, so they can just enjoy the framing and composition process.
Thanks for sharing.