Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
haha, I might change my K35mm for an FA35mm... I love the later so sharp and fast. 30 days is a grind though...

07-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
haha, I might change my K35mm for an FA35mm... I love the later so sharp and fast. 30 days is a grind though...
That would be a great choice!
07-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #78
Veteran Member

I am still toing and froing about my lens choice, but I suppose I will have a decision at the last moment.

I have been pressed for time and opportunity for photos lately, so I will have to consciously slow down and try and enjoy a bit more.
I think a little of my frustration (pressure) is coming out through my shots a bit. Not been up to the sharp standard I would expect of myself.

So hopefully August will be an improvement.
I agree, it is a bit of a grind, but an enjoyable one when you really get down to it.
07-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The hard part for me lately is that it's getting harder and harder to come up with newish subjects. When I'm out on say the weekend doing stuff, it's easy to find new things but during the work week, unless I'm out and about, I have to go further and further to get new stuff. It's really become a problem for me of late and I feel like a lot of shots are just blah. Still haven't come up with a lens for August but, I'm considering the DA 40, DA 17-70, and the Voigtlander 58 f1.4.

I think I'm just not excited by the kit lens, it's not long enough, wide enough, fast enough, or that interesting. If it was all I had, I'd be ok but it's not and my LBA began with the need to have more than the kit.

07-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice assessment of the kit lens - Ok, but not enough.
07-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #81
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
The hard part for me lately is that it's getting harder and harder to come up with newish subjects. When I'm out on say the weekend doing stuff, it's easy to find new things but during the work week, unless I'm out and about, I have to go further and further to get new stuff. It's really become a problem for me of late and I feel like a lot of shots are just blah. Still haven't come up with a lens for August but, I'm considering the DA 40, DA 17-70, and the Voigtlander 58 f1.4.

I think I'm just not excited by the kit lens, it's not long enough, wide enough, fast enough, or that interesting. If it was all I had, I'd be ok but it's not and my LBA began with the need to have more than the kit.
That's why I've been trying different things like panoramas and focus stacking. He's a fine specimen I'll agree but how many pictures of The Hound, can you people Really stand? Aside from my trip to Kentucky in the middle of the month, the lens has been nothing more than a tool and the game has simply been a motivation to do Something with it.

I agree with you on the kit lens btw. Nice for the price but nothing terribly special.

07-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apparently struck a chord on the kit lens.

JeffJS - actually your shots of the hound have always been entertaining. But I'm clearly at the same point. I have considered doing much more night work or close up indoor product type work for a while. I'm really more happy with landscapes though. This is a challenge and it's becoming more of one each month.

07-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #83
Veteran Member

night panorama landscapes are the solution
there's a reason i dropped out though i may return in august at jack's prompting
for me the hard part is twofold sticking to one lens (i only have so many and less i like enough for a month) and then processing etc which has been a challenge
but i should do a month of summer here i guess though i may revert to a previously used lens (just can't find enough inspiration to use the longer stuff (135+) for an entire month
07-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #84
Inactive Account

Done with July

I think I only used one 'filler' from a different day this month too. Normally I haven't done this but here is my real assessment of the Pentax A 35 - 105 mm f3.5 aka, Bag-O-Primes.

The lens itself on a performance standpoint gave me some exquisite results in terms of focus, color rendering, and to some degree versatility. Whether or not my presentations could be considered exquisite is matter for another discussion. There are few quirks with this lens however that, I really didn't notice until I started doing focus stacking later in the month.

First, Anyone who knows this lens knows that in Normal mode, one can focus at 105mm and zoom back to 35mm and the photo will still be in focus (macro setting aside). The information has always been right in front of me, On the lens so I guess I should have known this but, the reason for staying in focus is that Pentax made the Minimum focus distance of this lens about 4.5 feet or 1.5 meters. That's all well and good except for when you Want to get Close but not use the 'macro' setting (in which the lens behaves as a normal zoom with close focus). That is, one of the advantages of a wide angle such as 35mm, is that you can get to within a foot many times. Not so with this lens. In Normal mode, the lens has the minimum focus distance of the 105mm end. As I said, this is all laid out, on the distance scales engraved On the lens. Since I had never used it however, I never paid much attention to it.

What does that mean.. Well, in the case of focus stacking model trains as I've been doing for the past couple weeks, Camera placement is Absolutely Critical. The idea behind focus stacking is to be in focus from Front to Back. Well, in the confined spaces of a model train layout (and I suspect elsewhere as well), that can be quite tricky to get the Front in focus. The middle and rear parts for the photo are not a problem of course. One can cheat a little and slip into the macro mode to get the front but it seems to change the perspective a little bit and plays havoc on the stack. On the flip side, with the macro mode, you can easily get the front, but moving further back (on anything more than a foot or so long) becomes the challenge. This could be applied of course to many things, not just model trains but that was the most cooperative subject I had this month.

I have to say that the point of this game being to 'curb LBA' it is also to get to know the equipment. How to use it, where it works best, and for what type of photos. This is the month I would say I've learned the most in that respect. Everything from the camera and lens itself to processing for the final image. I REALLY appreciate all of your comments and support, probably more than you'll even know. I've fallen short on returning comments but know that I've looked at all of your photos (if you linked in the group threads) and overall, they are just stunning. That's what keeps me going with this even if I complain about the grind. Thank you all very much. The Hound sends his regards as well.

On to August with the FA31, a gripless camera so I can carry a smaller package for once, use auto focus again, for hopefully, some fun shooting.

08-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Yo! Sorry for delay, I have a massive work to do I'll post comments later. Thanks All for this month.
08-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Great month with legendary a-serief heavy weight champion.

You had great month indeed, I enjoyed looking your train pictures. Well done. Thank you for your effort too. Must have been a lot of work...

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

I think I only used one 'filler' from a different day this month too. Normally I haven't done this but here is my real assessment of the Pentax A 35 - 105 mm f3.5 aka, Bag-O-Primes.

The lens itself on a performance standpoint gave me some exquisite results in terms of focus, color rendering, and to some degree versatility. Whether or not my presentations could be considered exquisite is matter for another discussion. There are few quirks with this lens however that, I really didn't notice until I started doing focus stacking later in the month.

First, Anyone who knows this lens knows that in Normal mode, one can focus at 105mm and zoom back to 35mm and the photo will still be in focus (macro setting aside). The information has always been right in front of me, On the lens so I guess I should have known this but, the reason for staying in focus is that Pentax made the Minimum focus distance of this lens about 4.5 feet or 1.5 meters. That's all well and good except for when you Want to get Close but not use the 'macro' setting (in which the lens behaves as a normal zoom with close focus). That is, one of the advantages of a wide angle such as 35mm, is that you can get to within a foot many times. Not so with this lens. In Normal mode, the lens has the minimum focus distance of the 105mm end. As I said, this is all laid out, on the distance scales engraved On the lens. Since I had never used it however, I never paid much attention to it.

What does that mean.. Well, in the case of focus stacking model trains as I've been doing for the past couple weeks, Camera placement is Absolutely Critical. The idea behind focus stacking is to be in focus from Front to Back. Well, in the confined spaces of a model train layout (and I suspect elsewhere as well), that can be quite tricky to get the Front in focus. The middle and rear parts for the photo are not a problem of course. One can cheat a little and slip into the macro mode to get the front but it seems to change the perspective a little bit and plays havoc on the stack. On the flip side, with the macro mode, you can easily get the front, but moving further back (on anything more than a foot or so long) becomes the challenge. This could be applied of course to many things, not just model trains but that was the most cooperative subject I had this month.

I have to say that the point of this game being to 'curb LBA' it is also to get to know the equipment. How to use it, where it works best, and for what type of photos. This is the month I would say I've learned the most in that respect. Everything from the camera and lens itself to processing for the final image. I REALLY appreciate all of your comments and support, probably more than you'll even know. I've fallen short on returning comments but know that I've looked at all of your photos (if you linked in the group threads) and overall, they are just stunning. That's what keeps me going with this even if I complain about the grind. Thank you all very much. The Hound sends his regards as well.

On to August with the FA31, a gripless camera so I can carry a smaller package for once, use auto focus again, for hopefully, some fun shooting.

07-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #87

New to PF

Hey everyone. I've recently made the switch to Pentax for my main DSLR rig after working with Sony/Minolta for a bit, so this if my first post on this forum, and first time entering one of these photo challenges. I'm off to India for a couple months for work starting next week, and am generally excited about taking my K5 and 40mm Limited around the city with me.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

-Greg
07-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oops, posted you the link to last year's July. Welcome at any rate!