Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single in July

Since nobody else has started a game thread I thought I would do it. Anyone reading this who hasn't tried a Single in ... challenge you really should! It is a great way learn about your camera, get daily feedback from other members and also find your feet on the forum. Look at me I have gone from professional lurker and now I am writing this! Anyway the rules are below not written by me just copy and pasted.

(copied from Patrick's June intro, a work of a few hard working PF members)

Rules of the challenge:

-Choose one lens
-Take pictures with the lens each day and upload one of them to the Daily Single in July thread under the monthly challenges group for the appropriate day
- Do this every day for the whole month

FAQ:

Q: where do i post my pictures ?
NEW
A: under the monthly photo challenges group you will find a thread for each day in June, post your picture to the appropriate day, just like posting a picture to any thread on the forum. You can store your pictures wherever you like ie a gallery here (see below) or Flickr or photobucket or your own site, just post them to the daily thread that applies to the picture. here is the group page
Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Q: What if I have more than one picture worth posting
A: Hopefully you will, there is a group for extras you can start a thread there for your extras if you wish

Monthly Photo Challenges - Extras - PentaxForums.com

Q: How do I participate?
A: Create an album called "Single in July". Go to your User Control Panel, and under Your Profile, choose "Edit Photo Albums". There you can create the album.NEW - OR add them wherever you upload pictures see above but be sure to post them to each daily thread

Q: Once I've created my album, where/how do I submit my album to be included?
A: NEW now everyone can easily follow progress by subscribing to the daily thread (automatic when you post a pic or comment)

Q: How do I link my album photos to the daily thread? If you refer to the Single in April thread you will find lengthy discussion on how to link images complete with pictures. Once you get the hang of it it is easy and makes viewing and commenting on everyone's contributions very easy.

Q; what is the Flickr Group about
A: there is now a Flickr Single in group, if you use flickr please join in and cross post there. perhaps we will entice new unsuspecting members to the forum and the challenge through this venue
Flickr: Single Challenges (Pentax only)

Q: Must I upload a picture every day?
A: No, you can upload it whenever you feel like, but you must choose one for each day

Q: What if I miss a shot?
A: Do not worry about it!

Q: What is a "safety shot"?
A: It is a picture that you take early in the day as a backup if you get too busy to get the shot you wanted

Q: What about all my other lenses, can't I use them?
A: Not for this challenge, but you can shoot with them all you want

Q: If I choose a zoom lens, do I have to stick with one focal length on that lens? Or can I have the entire focal range?
A: You can use the entire focal range

Q: Is it against the rules if I use an extension tube together with the lens?
A: Not at all, you are still using the same lens!

Q: How about mounting the lens reversed then?
A: You can do that! :-)

Q: Is it just for curing LBA?
A: No! You learn a lot from using a single lens for a month, why not choose one of your least favorite ones and get to know it better?
A: You get a new bunch of friends who also shoot one picture every day
A: If you choose a similar lens as someone else, you can compare shots, image quality and share notes *aawww* :-)

Q: Is it hard?
A: The first 7 days are easy. The next 7 will get you on your toes, the next 7 will make you head hurt and if you survive that till the end you will have a bunch of fantastic shots spread out over a whole month

Q: What about that gallery, I do not have enough space for my pictures!
A: Have you considered donating to the site? It will get you a bunch of space and keep the site advertising free! You know you love it like that :-)

Q: Any hints with regards to the Album?
A: Take a snapshot of your chosen lens? Make today's picture the album cover?

Q: Photobook!
A: Yes! What a great idea, a book with photographs chosen by the challengers. Just remember to save the original files so you will have good material for prints

Q: Can I have a look at past challenges?
A: Yes, you can find them by searching single in under the member albums, or by Visiting the various threads from January to June under the group where you will be posting the July Pics.

06-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to try but don't know for sure yet.

06-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in but haven't settled on a lens yet. It's going to be auto focus though after a month of manual focusing, I'm tired.
06-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i'm likely back in with something in a prime, maybe the lentar 21 i bought a while back and have never really used

06-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had two thoughts for this coming month, perhaps one further down the line. I may use my Optio W80 P&S all month for a challenge and/or on another I may shoot one lens (of course) but only with one or more Cokin filters attached (as I never use them enough). While both of those are quite different, each will require some work to get some decent results from them. Do those sound like interesting ways to go?

But for July, I'm keeping it simple - don't know what that will be yet.
06-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I've had two thoughts for this coming month, perhaps one further down the line. I may use my Optio W80 P&S all month for a challenge and/or on another I may shoot one lens (of course) but only with one or more Cokin filters attached (as I never use them enough). While both of those are quite different, each will require some work to get some decent results from them. Do those sound like interesting ways to go?

But for July, I'm keeping it simple - don't know what that will be yet.
yep sounds good to me. i seriously considered a month with film after shooting some this month but i wouldn't keep up on scanning i think if i shot b/w and to shoot colour at say 9 shots a day (to keep it simple) i would end up needing to spend about $90 on film and basic processing/scanning (hmmm maybe i will do this shoot the Km for the month with the m 50 1.7 attached......)

Last edited by eddie1960; 06-27-2011 at 10:02 AM.
06-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm thinking about rejoining the torture train... we'll see if work steadies enough.
Thanks to Bruce (WWIFA) for the nudge.

06-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
yep sounds good to me. i seriously considered a month with film after shooting some this month but i wouldn't keep up on scanning i think if i shot b/w and to shoot colour at say 9 shots a day (to keep it simple) i would end up needing to spend about $90 on film and basic processing/scanning (hmmm maybe i will do this shoot the Km for the month with the m 50 1.7 attached......)
I've considered doing a month in film. It would have to be b&w for me. I can process film at home and scan it so that's not a big problem but I think I'd have to shoot about a week's worth (1 or 2 rolls max/week) and post periodically. OTOH, I could shoot a hybrid deal with occasional film images tossed in on a number of days. Anyway, it could be done. Not ready to do it though for July.
06-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I've considered doing a month in film. It would have to be b&w for me. I can process film at home and scan it so that's not a big problem but I think I'd have to shoot about a week's worth (1 or 2 rolls max/week) and post periodically. OTOH, I could shoot a hybrid deal with occasional film images tossed in on a number of days. Anyway, it could be done. Not ready to do it though for July.
I can process the b/w at home but really hate scanning so i procrastinate , I can get colour processed and 4 bit scanned for $2.99 a roll which makes my time at the scanner for b/w worth about $30 an hour lol
I still will shoot b/w i just wouldn't do it for the single in since i'd like to post july in july not december
06-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I may be a little faster than you on the processing, those are my concerns too. I'm going to keep it in mind.
06-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
I'm thinking about rejoining the torture train... we'll see if work steadies enough.
Good deal! If you think it will be fun and you have the time, then by all means. I'd like to see your take on summer.
It's a yes for me on both counts. So I'm in. No idea what lens though.
I disappeared for awhile and it's time to deal with a fun challenge rather than the sometimes unfun personal kinds.
Lots of snow left on the mountains but warm with lots of water flowing and an abundance of wildflowers down low. Should be fun. Looking forward to everyone's photo's.
Bruce
06-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WWIFA Quote
Good deal! If you think it will be fun and you have the time, then by all means. I'd like to see your take on summer.
It's a yes for me on both counts. So I'm in. No idea what lens though.
I disappeared for awhile and it's time to deal with a fun challenge rather than the sometimes unfun personal kinds.
Lots of snow left on the mountains but warm with lots of water flowing and an abundance of wildflowers down low. Should be fun. Looking forward to everyone's photo's.
Bruce
Good to see you back Bruce
06-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Good to see you back Bruce
Thanks, Eddie
Bruce
06-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good to see you back Bruce, I can't wait to see your always entertaining photos!

I'm in (of course) but haven't decided on a lens yet.

Now where are the Dutchies?
06-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote

Now where are the Dutchies?
Laughing and spilling my beverage here in the middle of the night with your comment Jack.

But seriously, I am wondering too.