Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6154 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2017, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #3586
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I'd be grateful for either confirmation or correction of my tentative identification of this insect as a hoverfly (Toxomerus marginatus). The markings differ from those in images I saw.

Also, thanks to everyone for posting such excellent images of various insects in this thread! Best wishes,
Stu
Yes, a hoverfly (Syrphidae) of some kind, but I won't attempt a genus & species id.
The red admiral below came into the sun room while one screen was pulled back and landed on the inside of the glass. Snapped a few pictures quickly then opened the glass and sent it out.

Attached Images

06-19-2017, 04:43 AM   #3587
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice for it to oblige and come to you. TFS
06-19-2017, 04:51 AM   #3588
smf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Yes, a hoverfly (Syrphidae) of some kind, but I won't attempt a genus & species id.
The red admiral below came into the sun room while one screen was pulled back and landed on the inside of the glass. Snapped a few pictures quickly then opened the glass and sent it out.
Thanks very much!
06-19-2017, 04:55 AM   #3589
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Excellent photo of Hoverfly Stu. TFS

06-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #3590
smf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Excellent photo of Hoverfly Stu. TFS
You are most welcome, and thank you!
Best wishes,
Stu
06-21-2017, 04:01 AM   #3591
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An insect-like terrestrial arthropod (I don't think it is an insect) has been posted on the *Macro* lens club post #2585. The creature looks familiar to me, as if it were something I saw when taking invertebrate zoology ## years ago, but I cannot pin it down. If anyone good with insects/arthropods is following this thread and has not seen that tiny beastie, please do and see if it's something you know. I'm really frustrated at not being able to out some kind of name on it.
06-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #3592
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I believe that's some type of moth, but I've never tried to ID them. I have seen similar on my monitor at night when working in here.

06-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #3593
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe that's some type of moth, but I've never tried to ID them. I have seen similar on my monitor at night when working in here.
If you're trying to help with the ID was was requesting, you must have looked at the wrong image. This fellow is tiny, no wings, no antennae, six legs with joint sections almost all the same length (= rather "primitive" looking legs) , body not clearly divided into three sections, iridescent hard body. It's a little mite-like, but the body is elongate, upright and cylindrical or a bit laterally compressed, not dorso-ventrally flattened. Again it's post # 2585 in the *Macro* lens club.
06-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #3594
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
You said that post. That's the one I looked at and thought it looked like the ones that sit on monitor at night.
06-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #3595
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You said that post. That's the one I looked at and thought it looked like the ones that sit on monitor at night.
The one I'm trying to ID is absolutely not a moth - no wings, no antennae, body not clearly divided into head-thorax-abdomen. Somehow I don't think you're looking at the right post.

Try looking up all posts by scultor666 and go to the one where he says: "not sure what this dude is... super small though!"
06-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #3596
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I didn't say it was a moth, I said I believe it is. Difference is what I said was not set in stone. And Yes, I did look at the correct post, of the number you posted taken by sculptor666.
06-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #3597
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK. You've seen the mystery arthropod. Ter-or suggested it could be a juvenile, and some leafhopper early instars look similar except for those anteriormost jointed appendages which seem to be associated with the mouth, similar to pedipalps, and don't look like antennae. I don't know of any insect. juvenile or adult that has such structures. Leafhoppers have antennae, but in NA species they are very small, sometimes almost impossible to see (some South American species have fantastically bizarre antennae).

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-21-2017 at 06:34 PM.
06-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #3598
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK. You've seen the mystery arthropod. Ter-or suggested it could be a juvenile, and some leafhopper early instars look similar except for those anteriormost jointed appendages which seem to be associated with the mouth, similar to pedipalps, and don't look like antennae. I don't know of any insect. juvenile or adult that has such structures. Leafhoppers have antennae, but in NA species they are very small, sometimes almost impossible to see (some South American species have fantastically bizarre antennae).
That one is certainly a head scratcher. I would have said a leaf hopper relative, but I am certainly nothing near an expert here. sculptor666 does not say where he took the photo, but he is from the US.
06-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #3599
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
And I looked at bugguide.net and still can't figure out what it might be. When you all figure it out, let me know too.
06-21-2017, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #3600
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
55-300+raynox 150