Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2017, 06:23 PM - 3 Likes   #3736
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two of the exotic butterflies in the butterfly house at Zoo Boise.

Attached Images

08-24-2017, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #3737
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my local zoo

the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center has an enclosed walk through area where these types of butterflies can be found:

Monarchs, Gulf Fritillaries, Painted Ladies, Black Swallowtail and Red Admirals along with a staff person and educational material.

The butterfly species are all native to the area.

I don't spend much time there but rather spend time on the free flying butterflies
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-25-2017, 01:30 AM - 3 Likes   #3738
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was thinking about picking some more blackberries ...... until I saw that they were covered in flies. Probably the same ones that like the presents next door's cat likes to leave in my garden.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-25-2017, 06:12 AM - 2 Likes   #3739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I recall this one was taken at Zoo Boise, but it's wild.

Attached Images

08-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #3740
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
As I recall this one was taken at Zoo Boise, but it's wild.
nothing wrong with zoo photos in my humble opinion I don't go into our zoo's enclosure to leave room for the kids to go in and be amazed.

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-25-2017 at 07:07 AM.
08-25-2017, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #3741
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've encountered some who object to zoo images, but otherwise the wildlife available for me to photograph is very limited. In our yard we've seen deer (whitetail), opossum, racoon, red fox, grey fox, black bear, squirrels of course (mostly grey, but also black-phase greys), and once a big mustelid, probably a fisher but it might also have been a mink, and on a nearby river there are sometimes otters (seen twice in 30 years). but only very rarely have I been in a position to get a picture, and when when such opportunities have arisen, it's a grab shot, little better than a cell-phone image of a bear behind a neighbor's garbage pail. So, if I want tigers or chimps or toucans or morpho butterflies, a zoo is the only option. I try to avoid the bars and wires and dirty plexiglass and old tires and cement pools, but no apologies for posting a zoo image, and no attempt to pass it off as "wild" wildlife.
08-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #3742
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't believe when I started this thread, I called it a "Wildlife" insect thread. So, zoo, botanical gardens, etc are welcome here too. Not all of us have a backyard in which to capture butterflies or other insects.
08-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #3743
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 08-25-17 at 09:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I don't believe when I started this thread, I called it a "Wildlife" insect thread. So, zoo, botanical gardens, etc are welcome here too. Not all of us have a backyard in which to capture butterflies or other insects.
I did not mean to apply that you had

no offense intended

BTW, in my area, Topeka Kansas, the annual effort to capture, tag and release monarchs for tracking on their annual southern migration will be happening for several days/weeks in September

if interested check this website

http://monarchwatch.org/index.html

and they may be able to help anyone interested find an organized effort in your area

[interesting they don't list info for the Topeka Zoo's effort ??? ]

I've encountered some who object to zoo images, but otherwise the wildlife available for me to photograph is very limited. In our yard we've seen deer (whitetail), opossum, racoon, red fox, grey fox, black bear, squirrels of course (mostly grey, but also black-phase greys), and once a big mustelid, probably a fisher but it might also have been a mink, and on a nearby river there are sometimes otters (seen twice in 30 years). but only very rarely have I been in a position to get a picture, and when when such opportunities have arisen, it's a grab shot, little better than a cell-phone image of a bear behind a neighbor's garbage pail. So, if I want tigers or chimps or toucans or morpho butterflies, a zoo is the only option. I try to avoid the bars and wires and dirty plexiglass and old tires and cement pools, but no apologies for posting a zoo image, and no attempt to pass it off as "wild" wildlife.

we have been blessed and lucky enough to travel to where you can find certain wildlife, Tanzania, Alaska, Gran Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. We have also been to the Animal Kingdom in Walt Disney World and various zoos in the US. Many are not able to do so.

Next trip to Baja California and then perhaps back to Africa

so I take pictures of "wildlife" where ever I can find them, and to me they are all wild unless they are domesticated.

to each their own I guess.

and I too try not picture them without the obvious signs of where they may be, if possible.

you practice with your equipment and technique where you can.

here are a couple from the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha near their Butterfly exhibit enclosure

(admittedly the first does not feature "wildlife" under any definition of the name)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-25-2017 at 07:30 AM.
08-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #3744
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Unfortunately, some of us can't travel to other countries to photograph the wildlife.
And my yard, though in a city, is surrounded by trees older than me, and I have enough yard to attract bees, butterflies and other insects, but when the weather doesn't cooperate and the air and ground, bushes and flowers stay dry most of spring through fall, the insects stay hidden. I've looked out my window to see butterflies flitting past but never landing long enough to get such photos, and it's been disappointing the last few years, when previous years the Gulf Fritillary used to be in abundance outside my window, landing on the Zinnia's I grow for that purpose only, they're missing this year.
08-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #3745
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, some of us can't travel to other countries to photograph the wildlife.
And my yard, though in a city, is surrounded by trees older than me, and I have enough yard to attract bees, butterflies and other insects, but when the weather doesn't cooperate and the air and ground, bushes and flowers stay dry most of spring through fall, the insects stay hidden. I've looked out my window to see butterflies flitting past but never landing long enough to get such photos, and it's been disappointing the last few years, when previous years the Gulf Fritillary used to be in abundance outside my window, landing on the Zinnia's I grow for that purpose only, they're missing this year.
I hope you have better luck soon
08-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #3746
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

VAV butterflies. When I was a kid collecting insects, monarchs and their caterpillars were so common I hardly turned to look. For several years of late, I've gone on walks many scores of times past fields rich with milkweed and not seen a single monarch or caterpillar. But today, just a short time back while walking Tralee, I saw multiple adults and numerous very health-looking monarch caterpillars. Maybe they're making a comeback.
08-26-2017, 03:41 AM - 3 Likes   #3747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On about a five mile stretch of road in Idaho there were scores and scores of these big crickets hopping and crawling on the pavement, Only in that one area, never saw another before or after.
Attached Images

08-26-2017, 03:57 AM   #3748
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On about a five mile stretch of road in Idaho there were scores and scores of these big crickets hopping and crawling on the pavement, Only in that one area, never saw another before or after.

That one looks like it had a very good lunch!
Makes our British grasshoppers look weak and feeble.
08-26-2017, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #3749
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First non-white butterfly I have seen in my garden for a while. A small Tortoiseshell?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-26-2017, 06:38 AM - 2 Likes   #3750
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
That one looks like it had a very good lunch!
Makes our British grasshoppers look weak and feeble.
Perhaps someone will post an image of a big "lubber grasshopper" found in the southeast. I have a chrome of one taken in Florida decades back. They were, possibly still are the standard insect for dissection in biology classes because of their size. The grasshopper below is exotic, as I recall from Malaysia. It's over two inches (5cm) long head to end of the wings
Attached Images