Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2019, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #5221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Best shot I could get of this skittish fella, any movement from me, and it was off.

01-24-2019, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #5222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting little bees in #5, and the tiger beetle #6 is a good catch. They're so fast it's estimated they can't see running at full speed, but have to map their surroundings and fire themselves like a bullet toward their prey. The tiger beetles we have here are a beautiful green.
01-24-2019, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #5223

01-24-2019, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #5224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful beetle that! Beautiful shot too!

This fella appeared at the table where I was computing one night

An exercise in camouflage

01-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #5225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Interesting little bees in #5, and the tiger beetle #6 is a good catch. They're so fast it's estimated they can't see running at full speed, but have to map their surroundings and fire themselves like a bullet toward their prey. The tiger beetles we have here are a beautiful green.
Those green tiger beetles are the most common here, by a wide margin, but I'll wager that in your area, as here in MessyChewBits, there are dozens of species you never see. Because of the way the larvae live, and because as adults they tend to return to where they grew up to reproduce, tiger beetles have speciated into numerous very small, very localized populations.
01-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #5226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
BTW: this was done to demonstrate the amount of extension needed to match the reproduction ratio of a clip-on Raynox lens used on a 200mm optic.
Those are A-bellows, right? I happen to have tried/used the exact same combo last autumn, to test how a little more working distance than my DFA100WR offers at 1:1 would feel. Funny thing, I even used my trusted K-5, not the K-1 as usual.

What is now and always was extremely difficult to use in the field are bellows, even when equipped with some kind of aperture-operating mechanism.
I don't find it extremely difficult to use anymore thanks to life-view (kept the aperture stopped down), but sure it soon felt a little heavy hand-held. Admittedly the subject below was easy and sitting at a good height.

Here's light-handed edit of one of the results - full picture, rotated 180deg. I was surprised that the A200 F/4 renders reasonably well at macro-distances. Given that it's not overly well corrected, I expected a lot more green and purple out of focus edges. In addition, even at full magnification, there is a good amount of detail and it doesn't suffer from a hot spot, as it does on my 3rd party extension rings. Still I'll keep looking for a longer macro lens and maybe use a TC meanwhile.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-25-2019, 05:07 AM   #5227
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Those are A-bellows, right? I happen to have tried/used the exact same combo last autumn, to test how a little more working distance than my DFA100WR offers at 1:1 would feel. Funny thing, I even used my trusted K-5, not the K-1 as usual.

I don't find it extremely difficult to use anymore thanks to life-view (kept the aperture stopped down), but sure it soon felt a little heavy hand-held. Admittedly the subject below was easy and sitting at a good height.

Here's light-handed edit of one of the results - full picture, rotated 180deg. I was surprised that the A200 F/4 renders reasonably well at macro-distances. Given that it's not overly well corrected, I expected a lot more green and purple out of focus edges. In addition, even at full magnification, there is a good amount of detail and it doesn't suffer from a hot spot, as it does on my 3rd party extension rings. Still I'll keep looking for a longer macro lens and maybe use a TC meanwhile.

I have never been able to use such a rig hand-held. Moving the bellows + camera atop a tripod I found very clumsy and a little nerve-wracking because I was always afraid I'd mash the bellows against an unnoticed branch, poking a hole through it . And of course, you lose auto-aperture.

And BTW: My tests indicate that using a Raynox at the same magnification as provided by the bellows rig, aside from being far more compact and convenient, provided obviously better IQ.

01-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #5228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those green tiger beetles are the most common here, by a wide margin, but I'll wager that in your area, as here in MessyChewBits, there are dozens of species you never see. Because of the way the larvae live, and because as adults they tend to return to where they grew up to reproduce, tiger beetles have speciated into numerous very small, very localized populations.
You're certainly correct. I'm not actively looking for them, so I may well never see them. The green ones are most obvious by contrast on gravel etc. - and likely invisible in the greenery.

When in the field I wear gaiters to make sure no velvet ants or other stingy things crawl up my pants...
01-25-2019, 09:42 AM - 6 Likes   #5229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Large Tolype Moth [Tolype velleda]

Large Tolype Moth
Photo taken on Sept 15th, 2018 at Ausable Point Campground, NY, USA on the external wall of the Shower/restrooms cabin.
This picture is a result of 17 shots stacked with Zerene Stacker (PMax Method)

Lasiocampe à épaulettes / Large Tolype Moth [Tolype velleda]
01-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #5230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

01-30-2019, 07:38 PM - 2 Likes   #5231
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

02-02-2019, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #5232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

02-09-2019, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #5233
Pentaxian

geez, have posted here in a while. bella moth from a trip to fl a month back.

02-10-2019, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #5234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

02-18-2019, 04:02 AM - 3 Likes   #5235
Pentaxian

A bit of waste land hosts these plants and the plants provide nectar for a range of winged insects - only had a few minutes to spare so only recorded about half the species visiting...K3 with DA55-300 WR