Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6154 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #5281
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's one ambitious spider. The ones around here will shake and cut large bugs out of the web most of the time.

03-07-2019, 01:21 PM - 4 Likes   #5282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two butterflies from years ago. Because of an external hard drive crash, I can no longer determine which images have already been posted, which on the good side, means there are thousands more images from which I can select.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
03-07-2019, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #5283
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
That's one ambitious spider. The ones around here will shake and cut large bugs out of the web most of the time.
This grasshopper, all wrapped up like a Hobbit, has been saved for future consumption.
Attached Images

03-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #5284
Pentaxian

I have at least 7 monarch caterpillars outside now. Wasn't sure since the vortex hit but no freeze, just. I brought 1 in until it pasted. Has a darker body and dropping antenna but the biggest. Ate half a leaf today.

On spiders anyone see the possum eating one or the snake catche?
Photos show 'ambitious' Redback spider eating deadly snake in Australia | The Independent
‘Stuff of nightmares’: Biologists share first video of dinner-plate-sized tarantula eating opossum – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

03-09-2019, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #5285
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did se the possim being dragged about by the tarantula, although I don't know what species it is. One of the smaller ones from SA.
A couple more insects from years ago, almost certainly posted back then.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #5286
Pentaxian

Regarding the butterfly carcass it was under the tree minus its head and empty of fluids. 24hrs later the thorax and abdomen and legs have gone and all that's left is the wings. Ants and possibly a toad or two have done that clean up.
03-10-2019, 01:01 PM - 4 Likes   #5287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I'm sorry but how could you lose a Raynox? LOL. Glad you're getting another though. Walt is a generous guy!
"I'm sorry but how could you lose a Raynox?" - Simple really! Stupidity . I change lenses too often, especially when I am in Game and Nature reserves, such as Kloofendal Nature Reserve, where I lost it, having left it behind at the bird hide, switching lenses.

"Walt is a generous guy!" - UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE DECADE!

Another of that colorful locust, a different one, and seen in the urban garden where I work.

And I was able to get quite close, much to the dismay of the kids.

Last edited by noelcmn; 03-10-2019 at 01:07 PM.
03-25-2019, 06:18 AM - 4 Likes   #5288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another Cisseps fulvicollis scape moth photo. They're striking insects.

Augochlora pura on fleabane
03-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #5289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Another Cisseps fulvicollis scape moth photo. They're striking insects.
The pale costa is often a mark of C. fulvicollis, but I think the fact that the orange doesn't extend back far enough on the thorax makes this Ctenucha virginica? I could be wrong, they can be tricky to separate from this angle. I did search the thread and found your other one, which I am more confident is Ctenucha virginica (the nape is more visible to determine the orange pattern and the wings are 'heart shaped').

Both species are quite striking, and often accused of being butterflies.
03-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #5290
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
The pale costa is often a mark of C. fulvicollis, but I think the fact that the orange doesn't extend back far enough on the thorax makes this Ctenucha virginica? I could be wrong, they can be tricky to separate from this angle.
Thanks! I'll see if I have some other angles and maybe upload some to Bug Guide. They're common enough around here that I don't really think about uploading. The blue abdomen might be a quick identifier.

Last edited by TER-OR; 03-25-2019 at 08:37 AM.
03-25-2019, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #5291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Thanks! I'll see if I have some other angles and maybe upload some to Bug Guide. They're common enough around here that I don't really think about uploading. The blue abdomen might be a quick identifier.
Bugguide has some info on distinguishing them, the back of the neck seems the most sure. The blue colour difference is on the thorax I think, and not always easy to tell from photos due to iridescence. Bugguide doesn't mention the forewing shape differences, but it seems pretty clear from all their examples.

Ctenucha virginica is a common 'winter caterpillar' around me, moreso than the usual 'wooly bear', Pyrrharctia isabella. I've posted this elsewhere in these forums, but it's appropriate here too. Another reason I prefer photographing caterpillars to humans - with a shallow DoF portrait you can miss the focus on a bunch of their eyes yet still manage to get 3 in focus, None of this "1-eye in focus business".

03-25-2019, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #5292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Soggy moth.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #5293
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
My sisters say the e immature Lubber Grasshoppers are out and about at their place in bunches. I haven't seen any here. Her house is about 10 miles away south of here, so I may sneak down there next week and see if they're still around.
03-26-2019, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #5294
Pentaxian

This wasp was cutting up the last monarch caterpillar that had hatched. I am pretty sure none survived. While the wasp was bringing its pieces home I watched an anole fight for territory. About 10 minutes later the wasp was back for its second piece. It is interesting that the wasp dragged the caterpillar into a nook of the plant like a leopard with an impala before cutting it up for delivery.
The anole fight is here. Post photos of snakes and other reptiles here - Page 32 - PentaxForums.com
03-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #5295
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
My brat brother is growing some flowers for bringing butterflies in the yard but me thinks he waited too long to plant them to have them bloom in time for the butterflies to show up. My Zinnias would already have been planted and be taller than his plants are by now.