Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2019, 10:29 AM - 3 Likes   #5341
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

05-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #5342
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Came across unprocessed images of this butterfly. Probably skipped over them because It isn't a good POV and the near wing is deeply shadowed. But, maybe worth a quick look.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-12-2019, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #5343
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few flies from yesterday, I think they are worth clicking through for the larger sizes.
Shot handheld in the garden

Dung fly

Hover fly

And i was shooting the fly, when the dung fly came down and killed it

I literally watched as the dung fly drained the life from it.

05-12-2019, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #5344
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice ones, Dick. Focal length says 180mm are you using a Sigma 180 Macro lens?

05-12-2019, 03:43 AM   #5345
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Nice ones, Dick. Focal length says 180mm are you using a Sigma 180 Macro lens?
Hi. No I'm using a lester A Dine 105mm macro and bellows.

I have to manually input a focal length due to the bellows. I have fallen into the habit of inputting 180mm for the focal length for sr purposes, it may well be the wrong thing to do, but it seems to work.
05-12-2019, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #5346
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, that's the wrong thing to do. I know our cameras don't always have what we need to input correct focal length, like my Tamron Adaptall 2 sp 90mm didn't have 90mm so I went 85. It's better to go lower than higher, so I've been told by those who know.....members here.

But with bellows, I'm not entirely sure what the length of them are in relation to lens focal length.. So couldn't say your 180mm is wrong or not.

It's like using extension tubes or a TC. If I put a 1.4x TC on a lens, then should I put the focal length I get from that or should I put the normal focal length. I know this question has been asked and answered many times here without getting a clear answer.

I also have a deglassed 2x TC I use as an extension tube. Don't know what to put in for that either.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-12-2019 at 03:57 AM.
05-12-2019, 04:21 AM   #5347
Pentaxian

Yes, that's the wrong thing to do. I know our cameras don't always have what we need to input correct focal length, like my Tamron Adaptall 2 sp 90mm didn't have 90mm so I went 85. It's better to go lower than higher, so I've been told by those who know.....members here.

But with bellows, I'm not entirely sure what the length of them are in relation to lens focal length.. So couldn't say your 180mm is wrong or not.

It's like using extension tubes or a TC. If I put a 1.4x TC on a lens, then should I put the focal length I get from that or should I put the normal focal length. I know this question has been asked and answered many times here without getting a clear answer.

I also have a deglassed 2x TC I use as an extension tube. Don't know what to put in for that either.

It's more than a little fuzzy alright.
I did start a thread on it before, around ext tubes, do you just add the ext length to the focal length or is there a magnification factor.
With the bellows being basically a variable ext tube I balanced out adding an extra 75mm, sometimes I would have more extension than that and sometimes a little less. I have to input something,
It's about as clear as muddy dishwater, it's a pity there isn't a definitive answer

05-12-2019, 04:30 AM   #5348
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dick897 Quote
It's about as clear as muddy dishwater, it's a pity there isn't a definitive answer
That I agree on.
05-12-2019, 04:51 AM - 2 Likes   #5349
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That I agree on.
Sometimes - I think - a photographer tries a method, it works for them, so they firmly believe it is THE method. Systematic experimentation with multiple methods is time consuming, and if some of them are not satisfactory, you don't want to waste a rare photo-op on a failed experiment. I think that leads to alternate firm beliefs that the-way-I-do-it-is-best. I ran into this using a lens-reversed-on-lens system. Should you stop down the lens attached to the camera, or the one that's reversed via a double-male filter adapter? I've read very firm statements favoring each, but ultimately decided to stop down the base lens as that is easiest for quick shutter release and exposure, especially using TTL flash.
05-12-2019, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #5350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

05-12-2019, 06:04 AM   #5351
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That beetle in the second image, were the light a little different, you would have captured a selfie.
05-14-2019, 10:59 AM - 4 Likes   #5352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dick897 Quote
... I have to input something, It's about as clear as muddy dishwater, it's a pity there isn't a definitive answer
For me, if you're shooting flash (as I am), just turn off SR and then the focal length value becomes just a number in the EXIF for information purposes. The flash duration is much shorter than the shutter time and ambient contributes very little to the shot, so SR really isn't needed. Saves juice on the camera battery too... But if you're shooting ambient or combining ambient and flash, then nevermind.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I ran into this using a lens-reversed-on-lens system. Should you stop down the lens attached to the camera, or the one that's reversed via a double-male filter adapter? I've read very firm statements favoring each, but ultimately decided to stop down the base lens as that is easiest for quick shutter release and exposure, especially using TTL flash.
Personally, I favor closing the reversed lens rather than the primary (as does Nass). I agree it's less convenient, but closing down the primary seems to do very little for me in terms of DoF... But yeah, don't take my word for it and generally in macro there's more than one way to do it. I totally agree about experimenting on your own if/when possible.

My latest published shot (D-FA 100mm WR plus Raynox DCR-250):

05-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #5353
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

05-14-2019, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #5354
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Personally, I favor closing the reversed lens rather than the primary (as does Nass). I agree it's less convenient, but closing down the primary seems to do very little for me in terms of DoF... But yeah, don't take my word for it and generally in macro there's more than one way to do it. I totally agree about experimenting on your own if/when possible.

My latest published shot (D-FA 100mm WR plus Raynox DCR-250):

Commonly called a "bee fly" I believe. really high quality macro. Ever since I experimented myself with the Raynox achromatic units I have been recommending them to anyone starting out in macro. With good technique, they can give results indistinguishable from a dedicated macro lens that costs ten times as much.
05-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #5355
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pascal why would you turn off the SR when using flash? The only time I turn off SR is when my camera is on a tripod.