Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6154 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Im back

2 image panorama, roughly 70 exposures per stack per final image. F/5.6 with the el nikkor/bellows and the three new jansjo desk lamps used. Quite an accomplishment, and Im VERY pleased to have finally done it

edit:

100% crop
One of the most insane shots I've ever seen. Awesome !

Ken

08-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KSmith Quote
One of the most insane shots I've ever seen. Awesome !

Ken
Thanks Ken!

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Very cool, thanks for the pic! What kind of lights are those? You seem to get amazing illumination levels in your stacks, and with winter coming I'm thinking more and more about indoors work. I'm also curious about that pierced cap on the front of your lens, to cut glare?

OK back on topic, since I don't want to totally hijack the thread. This mantis was busy hunting an emerging cicada near the garden this morning.
They are ikea jansjo desk lamps The "hood" was an experiment I did with one of those flexible plastic caps for lenses. I used my dads drill and went at it I made the whole about the size of the opening of the lens at F/5.6 which is what I use it at pretty much exclusively. Its not pretty but its the best I've come up with yet as I lose only a couple mm of working distance

It is absolutely needed by the way. Reversed enlarging lenses have a lot of issues with flare, losing contrast, washed out images etc without one.

edit: btw your image is a bit on the big side and even on my widescreen monitor I have to scroll to see it all. It would be easier for us if you posted a smaller version
08-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Check your PMs Philo. I explained this to you there.

Here's a little fellow I found this afternoon while getting a few shots for my Single in August thing.

08-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #49
Veteran Member

What width are you seeing it at? The forum scales them down even with the regular img tags, unless something isn't working.

Thanks for the tip on the lights. You'd judge them to work well eh? They're nice and cheap.
I attached a screen shot
As for the lights they are awesome but do require an EXTRA steady setup as there's no flash to "freeze" any motion and my shutter speeds range from 1-3 seconds. If nothing else they are fantastic modeling lights

Attached Images

08-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Got your pm photolady, haven't had time to respond to it yet. I'm asking if the vB code is working, or if perhaps it isn't working in all browsers, as it relies on the max-width and max-height properties. It should show no wider than 1024px on max aspect, be that horizontal or vertical. The shot you just posted uses a vertical height of 1024px, which should require quite a bit more scrolling for someone with a tiny screen. This is why I'm a bit confused at complaints over a horizontal image displayed at 1024x768 (which incidentally hardly anyone even designs pages for anymore, unless it's intended for mobile users).

Edit: 1,024px × 482px is your screen resolution, yeatzee? Are you on a tablet or something?
no i just cropped out all the non-important stuff like google chomes tab bar, my favorites, all the windows stuff at the bottom of the screen etc. etc.

according to the computer my laptops monitor is 1366 x 768

edit: her image does require scrolling but im already going down to view the next posts anyways so its not counter-productive. having to scroll sideways to view an image on the other hand ..

Last edited by yeatzee; 08-31-2011 at 12:04 AM.
08-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Evidently vB code isn't working for you because your "image properties" shows that last photo to be 1600 x 1200. Mine as you said is only 820x1024, but I didn't let the forum resize, I did this in PSE on a Windows PC.
08-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #52
Veteran Member

chrome and just checked with IE and its still quite large

08-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I use Opera and they are quite large. I also upload mine to flickr before posting here. Are you using your albums for these or what?
08-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #54
Veteran Member

chrome and just checked with IE and its still quite large
Sorry, "quite large" doesn't help here, especially knowing from your previous post that you have a very small screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I use Opera and they are quite large. I also upload mine to flickr before posting here. Are you using your albums for these or what?
This explains why you're not getting the same resized images that everyone else is. Opera ignores the max-width property for inline elements.

I can confirm it working in FF, but now that I'm doing some testing, it doesn't seem to work in Chrome or IE8 either. The new default theme on the forum seems to have no property for this at all (I'm still using the old green one), and this whole thing looks like a mess of inconsistency.

Hell with it, easiest solution until they decide to code for more than just Firefox is to remove my offending images. Not a problem. For the record, the forum here states that posting an image larger than 1024px (which ought to be fine for anyone besides Yeatzee) will have it automatically resized down to 1024px. So the admins think it works, and I was just following their guideline, albeit at the maximum allowed.

This shouldn't even be an issue, and it isn't an issue on any of the forums I manage (which is a large part of what I do). I'm not going to resize my images in PS just to post them here, when I know that it's just a snippet of JS to handle them properly.
08-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Sorry, "quite large" doesn't help here, especially knowing from your previous post that you have a very small screen.

I can confirm it working in FF, but now that I'm doing some testing, it doesn't seem to work in Chrome or IE8 either. The new default theme on the forum seems to have no property for this at all (I'm still using the old green one), and this whole thing looks like a mess of inconsistency.

Hell with it, easiest solution until they decide to code for more than just Firefox is to remove my offending images. Not a problem. For the record, the forum here states that posting an image larger than 1024px (which ought to be fine for anyone besides Yeatzee) will have it automatically resized down to 1024px. So the admins think it works, and I was just following their guideline, albeit at the maximum allowed.

This shouldn't even be an issue, and it isn't an issue on any of the forums I manage (which is a large part of what I do). I'm not going to resize my images in PS just to post them here, when I know that it's just a snippet of JS to handle them properly.
What more is there to say? photolady gave you the dimensions of the posted photo which happens to be "quite large" on my screen with a screen shot to give you an idea.

Also I clearly stated my screen is 1366px which is more than wide enough..... your image is NOT 1024px wide.
08-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Nevermind, I don't have time for this. I removed my images from this thread, and I'll continue to do so in others as I have time. I love how people complain at me for the forum's policy not matching its capabilities. Typical.

I'm finished with this thread now.
08-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Nevermind, I don't have time for this. I removed my images from this thread, and I'll continue to do so in others as I have time. I love how people complain at me for the forum's policy not matching its capabilities. Typical.

I'm finished with this thread now.

Whose complaining?

edit: btw your image is a bit on the big side and even on my widescreen monitor I have to scroll to see it all. It would be easier for us if you posted a smaller version
^ how is that complaining? It was a helpful suggestion so everyone can view the image in all its "glory." Relax dude.....
08-31-2011, 03:42 AM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's not a complaint, it's a suggestion so that others could enjoy your photos as we who have larger displays do. Even though I too have to scroll to see a 1600x1200 photo. And your answers remind me of the child who said "I'll just take my toys and go home now." I'm sorry you feel you don't have to do what is necessary to reduce the size of your overly large photos while everyone else here does this. My display isn't small either but as I said, not everyone can afford a nice new LCD with these capabilities.
08-31-2011, 04:31 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Thing is, it works fine in my browser using the old forum template, so I had no idea that my images were breaking the layout for anyone. The forum text states that it resizes them to 1024, and that's how they displayed for me, and nobody in the last 2 months has mentioned this. Silly me for thinking the admins here could actually do something as trivial as properly scaling images in topics.

The last thing I wanted to do was make using the forum more difficult for people, but I don't have time to go searching all my old posts, figuring out which images, editing and reuploading those, and then editing my posts to add the new links. It's ridiculous. Deletion makes a lot more sense, and I don't have strong feelings about sharing them in the first place.

And your answers remind me of the child who said "I'll just take my toys and go home now."
Got quite an attitude there, don't you. Yes I'm annoyed. As an admin on other forums, I know firsthand how annoying it is when a user breaks the layout with images (although I also know how to easily prevent it). Suddenly I find out that I had inadvertently done that to dozens of threads? Bloody right that's annoying, but it has absolutely nothing to do with what you just said.

I'm sorry you feel you don't have to do what is necessary to reduce the size of your overly large photos...
I did do what the forum stated was necessary. I've been saying this for several posts now. The interface says images larger than 1024px that are posted in img tags are scaled down to that amount. Don't put this off on me again, I'm sick of it.

not everyone can afford a nice new LCD with these capabilities.
Sorry, but on a camera forum focusing on DSLRs that's a ridiculous statement. Anyone can pick up an LCD panel for less than the price of a DA-L 55-300 kit lens. What's the point of having a good digital camera if you have a crappy display to edit and view your work on?

Anything else?
08-31-2011, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did do what the forum stated was necessary. I've been saying this for several posts now.
Evidently it isn't working for all browsers.
As administrator on other forums, do you write the code for those forums? I know a fair few admins for other forums who don't. We do have a site suggestions forum, maybe you should ask in there and someone can help you.

I've earned the right to have an attitude, if it makes you feel better to call it that. Not everyone works. Myself, disabled and on a fixed income, have to save for buying the things I need or want. Housing and food being foremost in things I need. A DA-L55-300 costs more than my housing costs at the present time.

Perhaps you should try outside hosting like photobucket or flickr. Both allow you to upload larger sizes and then choose one size that better fits this forum. Plus there is no real reason to post overly large photos for the net. Especially, since you said you weren't real happy about posting them here anyway. If you're worried about theft, posting smaller images is better, isn't it?

That's all i have to say. This thread was supposed to be about "insects" not about how you feel we shouldn't tell you your images are too large to view on smaller displays.