Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From couple days ago,been so windy dragonfly kinda emblematic of conditions...
'just hold on and hope for the best'

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
09-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Nice capture Bill. I had this same problem but those I saw weren't landing.
09-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the same problem with "oversized" pictures, and Adam pointed out that I can set a maximum viewing size in my preferences. That solved the problem for me. Have you tried that?
09-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Yeatzee - Great shots there. No way I could carry that rig around with me, I shoot all hand held with extension tubes so I can be mobile. sometimes with flash, sometimes without.

Here are a couple of recent ones, I'll have to di a bit for some of the other ones.

Close up crop of a grasshopper taken August 15. Got some nice full body shots, but this one had good enough detail to crop in really close, and I like getting close detail of insects and flowers you normally don't see that close. Until I started doing macro last year I Had no idea what many insects and tiny flowers actually looked like up close.

That's the reason I started the Tiny Flowers thread. Most people walk right by White Clover every day and never really take a close look and see what it actually looks like., I was amazed...same as the grasshopper below, before I got into macro photography I just saw a brownish grasshopper jump away from me when I walked near it. I had no idea what kin of tiny details were there if I just looked a bit closer.

Grasshopper taken in august.

Click image to view larger size.

Small bee taken a couple of weeks earlier. This one is a bit over a half inch long. This was the only shot that came out decent, this guy refused to sit still.

Another smaller bee, this picture taken earlier than both of the previous ones. He's sitting on a Coreopsis flower, the middle red/brown section about the size of a pencil eraser. This bee is under a half inch long.

Damselfly earlier this summer. This one didn't want me close, it took more than a dozen tries before it finally sat still for a few minutes and let me get close enough for some shots.

Most of these already posted in other threads somewhere along the way.

09-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Most of these already posted in other threads somewhere along the way.
Great work, Pete.
09-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Thanks Canada.
Couple more I just uploaded.

Dragonfly. Exif says it was the 200 mm lens, but it was actually the Lentar 135, I forgot to change it when I swapped lenses. I just thought birds in flight were tough...try a dragonfly sometime. Birds are a walk in the park.

Locust having a bad day. This shot is actually a mistake, I was trying to focus on the bird, not the bug (didn't even know it was there, just knew the bird was suddenly moving a lot. A few seconds earlier it was just sitting there, posing I guess)...as you can see, I missed badly and got the bug instead...Taken with Vivitar 200mm. I saw this through the viewfinder, so I never knew the bug was there until I looked at the display later. The Cardinal was just sitting there and I got a few nice shots, and one of him flying to this spot too, it's posted elsewhere I think. I saw the activity but didn't know what he was up to till later.

Robber Fly having dinner. This was taken in a friend's front yard while we were recording a song (musicians I was in a band with 10 years ago). We took a short break, I tried to get this Robber Fly's picture and he moved after a couple of shots. When I found him again he was having dinner.

One of my favorite grasshopper shots. Taken last year with my binocular lens macro rig. Late in the day but light was still very good, I was able to bring the aperture down to f16 and maybe f22, in natural light and this guy sat there long enough I got at least a dozen nice shots. Shutter speed 1/500, so at f16 or f22, the light had to be plenty bright. But I wanted plenty depth of field and I got it. It took a while, this was a pretty big grasshopper, over 2 1/2 inches long, and he moved several times before finally deciding to sit still for a bit. When I get home in a few days I might dig up the close up crop and post it. Excellent detail. This was with a Pentax 50mm A series lens. I shot both f16 and f22, but don't remember which was used for this shot, f22 I think but not positive.

09-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like cardinal has a tasty treat there Pete.Cicadas still coming off here,birds are eating well. Green darner dragonfly from 'pooch walk' this morning.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
09-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not the best image, but the action is er, um ....NSFW

NSFW if you happen to be a carnivorous insect, that is.
K10D, 1/250@5.6, DA* 50-135 + AFA 1.7x, ISO 200
I got two fly bites chasing these red angels, so I really want them to succeed in their "marriage". I went through yesterday's shots three or four times before I realized exactly what was going on here. I would have needed more time than I had to chase them down to get them from the side to maintain depth of field. They are insects, so ...
Attached Images

09-06-2011, 03:54 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Photolady and others, there was an insect thread started by me a while back, but it died a natural death-or myabe I called it something else. So glad that this thread is getting a much better response. Some from my collection:
Moth in my bathroom

Robber fly that came into the house.

This Robber fly on a yellow rose. Front view, side view, back view

Not sure what this is, but again it was in my home, and I played around with light from a torch. Liked the way the front legs came out luminous.
09-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I found your thread after I put this one up (it shows in related threads at the bottom of the pages). Yours was started in November 2010, and ran til January 2011. Title just said Insects. Here, in that time frame, insects are hiding. Perhaps that's why your thread didn't go any further. Who knows, eh.

Nice insects noel. I like the moth. I can never get them to turn facing me, they are usually on my ceiling or the wall but facing up toward the ceiling. The Robber Fly shots are great too. I have only seen one here, and he was floating in my bird bath, he was struggling to get out so I took a stick, he climbed up on it, and I released him. So, I saved a fly but got no photo of it.

The last one, could be a crane fly or a mosquito. Hard to tell when most of it is oof.
09-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote

The last one, could be a crane fly or a mosquito. Hard to tell when most of it is oof.
its a crane fly

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Yeatzee - Great shots there. No way I could carry that rig around with me, I shoot all hand held with extension tubes so I can be mobile. sometimes with flash, sometimes without.
Its not to bad, but it is very specialized. Only works for early morning stacks of living subjects or pictures of dead ones Remember, I used to exclusively shoot field macro's Extension tubes and a flash is my bread and butter
09-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Photolady,

Gladly defer to this thread. Thanks for your comments. That moth was not interested in moving anywhere, so I had plenty of opportunity there. That's a towel it is on, and all I needed to do was move the carpet around a bit.
09-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got a couple of new photos of insects this afternoon at my sister's house where I went to set up her new wireless printer. Done that then grabbed the camera and Sigma 70-300mm lens.

We call the first one, Banana Spider, I'm sure there is another name for them but I don't know what it is:

And a blue darner dragonfly: Course he has his back to me.
09-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Sakar 80-200mm
1/500 at F8
ISO200
Just a quick snap
09-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Got a couple of new photos of insects this afternoon at my sister's house where I went to set up her new wireless printer. Done that then grabbed the camera and Sigma 70-300mm lens.

We call the first one, Banana Spider, I'm sure there is another name for them but I don't know what it is:
Argiope aurantia