Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 04:02 AM - 2 Likes   #1261

I am a novice photographer, and this photo was a little out of focus, but just thought I'd share this one cause I like the contrast between the lady bug and the motorcycle tyre!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #1262
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tsakatsaka Quote
Well sharpen is missing in your photos. From exif shutter speed looks ok but the focal length is 150(?) and no aperture. Have you tried the lens without raynox in something like f22 in a normal photo (no macro). Is it sharp enough ?
No Exif on the aperture because this is a manual lens. To my eyes and others who've looked at them in flickr, no mention of them being out of fucus. Aperture was set at f22, and f11. I did apply a bit of unsharp mask to them. And no, I have not used the lens by itself yet. I was testing the Raynox with it to see how close it focused.

Seems no one else in here said they were out of focus either, course they could have been being polite instead of nitpicking on my own thread.
09-05-2013, 04:46 AM   #1263

The comment was for the fly
I'm not saying it is out focus and I'm not an expert but
At f22 even if the subject is out focus there must be something in the frame full in focus. In your case there isn't a spot full in detail. So either your hands are trembling but I've seen a lot of your work and looked more than ok, or you're closer than the minimum focus distance, or there is a problem with the lens or raynox.
IMHO of course

Last edited by tsakatsaka; 09-05-2013 at 05:40 AM.
09-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #1264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
No Exif on the aperture because this is a manual lens. To my eyes and others who've looked at them in flickr, no mention of them being out of fucus. Aperture was set at f22, and f11. I did apply a bit of unsharp mask to them. And no, I have not used the lens by itself yet. I was testing the Raynox with it to see how close it focused.

Seems no one else in here said they were out of focus either, course they could have been being polite instead of nitpicking on my own thread.

I am no expert but from my experience the log legged fly picture is not OOF it just lacks detail and a lot of that has to do with your lighting and possible diffraction issues I have some shots of long legged flies that look a lot like these from before I got my set up the way it is now.

Stay away from F22 very few lens perform well at that small an aperture that is the reason I use F16 I can get sharper images at F11 but was not happy with DOF so F16 is a good compromise for sharpness and DOF.

Last edited by hangman43; 09-05-2013 at 05:13 AM.
09-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #1265
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
The comment was for the fly
You should have said that to start with. I thought you were talking about all of them.

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
am no expert but from my experience the log legged fly picture is not OOF it just lacks detail and a lot of that has to do with your lighting and possible diffraction issues I have some shots of long legged flies that look a lot like these from before I got my set up the way it is now.
I don't remember which one was shot at f22, probably the fly. When I noticed the aperture was on f22, I changed that to f18, Then the a few shots later I changed it to f11. I beleive the wasp was shot at f11. I normally shoot at f8, but with the new combination I though f11 woudl be enough.
Tim, thanks. for the info; and clarifying the fly was in focus. Appreciate the name also as. I didn't know what they were called. So, f16 is best, eh? I'll have to try that today.

Long legged flies, are tiny, about the size of a match head and very hard to keep in focus because they jump around a lot. This one was the better of three I took.
09-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #1266
Veteran Member

You should have said that to start with. I thought you were talking about all of them.

I don't remember which one was shot at f22, probably the fly. When I noticed the aperture was on f22, I changed that to f18, Then the a few shots later I changed it to f11. I beleive the wasp was shot at f11. I normally shoot at f8, but with the new combination I though f11 woudl be enough.
Tim, thanks. for the info; and clarifying the fly was in focus. Appreciate the name also as. I didn't know what they were called. So, f16 is best, eh? I'll have to try that today.

Long legged flies, are tiny, about the size of a match head and very hard to keep in focus because they jump around a lot. This one was the better of three I took.
If you watch the long legged flies they will fly around and come back to the same spot over and over again sit very still and be patient and they will come to you. It took many 2 years before I got a good picture of a long legged fly the are one of the harder insects to catch.
09-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #1267
Veteran Member

Another issue you will have with the Long Legged fly is when they are still they are still twitching a little so you can get a little blurring that is why I have my flash at or below 1/4 power the shorter durations freezes any motion.

09-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #1268
Veteran Member

I don't think I've ever seen such a plain (ie spotless) ladybug! Lovely shot.

As for long legged flies, they are indeed difficult, not just because they move, but also because they are very shiny. They demonstrate the usefulness of large diffusers and low flash intensities, I imagine...

Best one I have so far:

Though I kind of like this (older) lower magnification, natural light shot too...

Last edited by Doundounba; 09-05-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: n.b.: might have posted the 2nd shot before?
09-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #1269
Veteran Member

took this with voigtlander macro 125

2nd shot with vivitar 105 macro

from my part of the world, Singapore..

marcus
09-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #1270

The combination of colors and dof in the last one is incredible well done markus
09-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #1271
Veteran Member

Couple of my favorites do not know if I have already posted them

09-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #1272
Pentaxian

Really great everyone ! Some fabulous images that you should submit to the PF Exclusive Gallery, IMHO ... J
09-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #1273
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another issue you will have with the Long Legged fly is when they are still they are still twitching a little so you can get a little blurring that is why I have my flash at or below 1/4 power the shorter durations freezes any motion.
Thanks for the tip. I bought a ring flash and it came today. It's a Polaroid brand, LED, I don't now how may LED lights are on it because I can't find a model number and I didn't get the manual with it.

Doundounba, second is nice to see. TFS.

marcusyoung, second one looks great. TFS.

Tim, I don't think I have seen this before. If I had I would have asked what's that in the mouth of the last one?

I'm waiting for the sun to get a little lower in the sky. It's too hot for outside work right now.
09-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #1274
Veteran Member

The combination of colors and dof in the last one is incredible well done markus
Thank you tsakatsaka. Taken with monopod as a support for both.

Couple of my favorites do not know if I have already posted them

great capture, hangman. those are huge

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Really great everyone ! Some fabulous images that you should submit to the PF Exclusive Gallery, IMHO ... J
Thank you, Jean. A universal fly across different continents and colors, features and behaviour are all the same. Unique.

Thanks for the tip. I bought a ring flash and it came today. It's a Polaroid brand, LED, I don't now how may LED lights are on it because I can't find a model number and I didn't get the manual with it.

Doundounba, second is nice to see. TFS.

marcusyoung, second one looks great. TFS.

Tim, I don't think I have seen this before. If I had I would have asked what's that in the mouth of the last one?

I'm waiting for the sun to get a little lower in the sky. It's too hot for outside work right now.
thank you< photolady for your kind comment.

marcus
09-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #1275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
great capture, hangman. those are huge
These were shot with tubes and a little bit of cropping