Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6154 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
Hi all. Here's a cicada that I got last weekend in Seoul. I think his face looks like the grille on an old-time pickup truck. Also a beetle that I saw in Vietnam (Mekong Delta) last December. Both taken with K200D and 35mm f2.8 Ltd Macro...
1939 Ford

How could I have forgotten this one...

08-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Seeing some really nice macros and closeups.

I have a fun fact for you: Spiders are not insects. Insects have 6 legs, spiders as we all know, have 8 legs. Though I don't mind spiders in photos, I do not like them any other way, near me....
08-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Loving the photos so far, will have to start playing with extension tubes.
Silly question time, I have a Samsung GX-10 (K10D) when I use manual lenses (with extension tubes) and I use the pop up flash and reduce the power in the flash menu does it actually reduce the flash power? Or do I have to use an external flash?
Again shot with the TAMRON AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro
08-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Seeing some really nice macros and closeups.

I have a fun fact for you: Spiders are not insects. Insects have 6 legs, spiders as we all know, have 8 legs. Though I don't mind spiders in photos, I do not like them any other way, near me....
I removed them from my post.

08-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Daddy long legs and friends.......
Attached Images

08-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MDegri Quote
use the pop up flash and reduce the power in the flash menu does it actually reduce the flash power?
Been trying somewhat same on K20, MD. Hard to answer,seems when in Av,with an "A" series lens,
thumbwheel/menu adjustments are there.Using "M" series (without)
lens info contacts,it seems like there no adjustment in-spite menu/thumbwheel options.
Also contray to what camera manual says.Been playing around with an old AF200s on K20.
Rubber-banded two coffee filters over lamp for diffuser and used aluminum foil to
bounce light back into photo eye for as short an impulse as possible,on that manual flash.
This is what I got with a ciccada this moring,with that setup.Still harsh and hard
looking.Bouncing and automation give best results.Moving remote flash off of body
to side-light and increase contrast probably help a little too.
Had old tamron zoom with de-glazed 2x TC for app. 25mm extension tube on this,
using AF200s.(Sunlight is 'magic elixar')
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by BillM; 08-25-2011 at 04:19 PM.
08-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Excellent shots showing up so far.

Photolady you knew I'd show up didn't ya... I couldn't get your initial picture to load for somwe reason, really slow connection out here, I'll take a look at it later one though. I haven't been able to spot a Bee Assassin this year, got some nice shots with the binocular lens rig last year though, if it's the same insect that would be cool, I've been looking for them but none this summer. Not seeing many of the insects or flowers this summer due to drought. Currently in Texas, soon as I get back to Louisiana I have loads of shots from last year. We just got the first rain here in 2 or 3 months, and not much of it, first time in years wells have run dry. Worse drought than any time when I lived here, and I saw a 7 year drought before I moved to La....

Just a couple of recent shots for now, already posted elsewhere, I'll dig up more later. I have lots...

Hover Fly taken a couple of weeks ago. Lentar 135 with Vivitar extension tubes.

Click image to view larger size.

Honey Bee shot about the same time, same rig.

Damselfly shot a couple of weeks earlier.

and a Robber Fly shot in late July.

Spiders are Arachnids, along with Scorpions and a number of other bugs commonly [and erroneously] called insects.

08-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I figured you show up Pete. Glad to have you onboard but I have to argue with you about spiders being insects. I researched this before making that statement. And not only did I find the answer but I learned in school they aren't either.

Spider Myths: "Spiders & other insects..."

And a few more references for this on Google:
http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=spiders+are+insects?&sour...w=1395&bih=753
08-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Well, I figured you show up Pete. Glad to have you onboard but I have to argue with you about spiders being insects. I researched this before making that statement. And not only did I find the answer but I learned in school they aren't either.

Spider Myths: "Spiders & other insects..."

And a few more references for this on Google:
spiders are insects? - Google Search
he never said they are insects just that they are "commonly called" insects, which I agree with.
08-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pete, sorry, I didn't see "commonly." My apologies. I didn't start this thread for arguments either.

Last edited by photolady95; 08-26-2011 at 05:51 AM. Reason: not necessary
08-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

No problem, I've made worse mistakes... I would have simply (and peacefully) made the same correction.

Thanks Yeatz...and where are your macros??? I'm dying to see a few. I know you have some great shots.

As for flash diffusers for the built in flash, a friend gave me an excellent idea.

Use an everyday cash register receipt from any store. Needs to be about 6 inches long. Fold it in half lengthwise, printed side out. Then fold that in thirds. A small piece of clear tape will hold it together. It makes a neat little envelope. Putting the tape on the back side, separate it so only one layer will be in front of the flash, then slip it onto the built in flash unit. You're done. Works great.

This needs to be printed side out because the paper is heat sensitive on the printed side. After you fire the flash about 5 or 6 times you'll have a big black spot if you use it print side in. I made this mistake the first time I tried it, I had some that was not printed, and used the wrong side.
08-26-2011, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
08-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Here is one on my backpacking stove from last weekend.

08-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

This thing spins new web daily here,trying to "dial in" coffee filters to get it all in focus.
Never realized some spiders have 'eyes' on their butt.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
08-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #30
Forum Member

HI, new member and ( very ) novice insect photographer ! Hand-held Sigma 120-400mm + Raynox DCR-150. Not on par with some of the shots posted, but I still like this one !

Ken
Attached Images