Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some great shots of insects (and spider and caterpillar ...) here.

08-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Caught my little spider buddy again.Had him?/her? smile this time.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
08-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KSmith Quote
HI, new member and ( very ) novice insect photographer ! Hand-held Sigma 120-400mm + Raynox DCR-150. Not on par with some of the shots posted, but I still like this one !

Ken
Well, Ken, you're one up on me. I've been taking pictures for over 30 years and have never seen one of those long enough to even bring the camera up for the shot let alone, get a picture of it.

Welcome to the forums.

08-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, can I post a spider even though technically it's not an insect?

08-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Well, Ken, you're one up on me. I've been taking pictures for over 30 years and have never seen one of those long enough to even bring the camera up for the shot let alone, get a picture of it.

Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the welcome.
There is a parc at the end of my street that is teeming with these blue dragonflies. Finding one isn't the problem, getting one to stand still long enough to steady the Sigma - not so simple ! I found that if I stay in the same spot they gradually get used to my presence and will sometimes land inches away. Still, many more rejects than keepers ( the Raynox is also not super forgiving when it comes to focusing ).

Ken
08-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #36
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Man's best friend

Picked up this nice A*200mm macro from a forum member. These gals actually live on plant nectar, not people. She's drinking nectar from one of the last species of flowers still blooming up here in the Arctic. Fall has come and thousands of geese are moving overhead each day to the south. First frost is predicted for next week. Actually, everyone was trying to get a last protein meal before winter.
Attached Images

Last edited by jac; 08-28-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Added Pic
08-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
So, can I post a spider even though technically it's not an insect?
I was just giving everyone a fun fact. But since Dave (daacon) did, then BillM did, it's safe to say spiders are welcomed here.

Last edited by photolady95; 08-28-2011 at 08:12 PM.
08-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I was just giving everyone a fun fact. But since Dave (daacon) did, then BillM did, it's say to say spiders are welcomed here.
Sorry Mar,couldnt resist that venum drippin "beaut".With what looks like a month
of 16 hour days coming up because of Irene,wish all "gals" were as easy going as you.

Heres cicada from other day. Is a great time of year to be out 'buggin',
bunch of spectacular results from folks in here.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
08-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got some good looking insects so far. Welcome to the newbies too.

Here's one I took in July. I used a 50mm M lens and 3 closeups stacked together. I was on my knees for this shot.

08-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote

Thanks Yeatz...and where are your macros??? I'm dying to see a few. I know you have some great shots.
You've seen one you've seen them all

Anyways im working on my first stacked pano..... hopefully it works If so i'll post it here first
08-29-2011, 04:52 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
You've seen one you've seen them all
Surely you jest! Each is a unique, one of a kind shot and yours are some of the best.

JeffJS - I'm surprised. I figured you would have been able to shoot a damselfly or three along the way. They're not easy, but same as mentioned already, I just watch for them moving around then try to stay still for a minute, sometimes I have to move to them, slow and easy, sometimes they land very close once they get accustomed to me being around. But once a damselfly lands and sits still for a minute, it's usually not too hard to get within macro distance.

Here's a tiny bee I shot a while back, less than a half inch long. I got a number of shots of different tiny bees last summer, but very few this year. Due to drought, very few flowers and insects this summer. My usual macro rig, Lentar 135 and Vivitar extension tubes.

Click image to view larger size.

Bugs similar to Ladybugs mating.

Honey Bee

Mayfly

08-29-2011, 05:21 PM - 4 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

Im back

2 image panorama, roughly 70 exposures per stack per final image. F/5.6 with the el nikkor/bellows and the three new jansjo desk lamps used. Quite an accomplishment, and Im VERY pleased to have finally done it

edit:

100% crop

Last edited by yeatzee; 08-29-2011 at 05:53 PM.
08-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Are you still shooting live specimens? These are way cooler than anything I have done Tanner.
08-29-2011, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Are you still shooting live specimens? These are way cooler than anything I have done Tanner.
Last one I did was on the 19th, an early morning stack

i have not gone out without my stacking rig in a long time however because my L-bracket broke and its the only way to get the flash properly positioned to illuminate the subject. I just recently superglued it back together though
08-29-2011, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I'm in awe of that pano. I'm also determined to get to that level of macro work eventually. Have you posted pics of your rig somewhere? Would love to see it.
Thanks

It's all disassembled right now (do that incase of an earthquake so nothing gets damaged. Good o'le SoCal ) but I'll quickly set the basic premise up for ya and take a picture with my phone

edit:

Normally there's a diffuser on the end of the el-nikkor but here you can see my makeshift hood taped/rubber banded on to stop flare. The subject is covered by a cup to minimize dust and fibers from getting on it which make my life very difficult