Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6153 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2017, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #3886
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Couple of wasps around my flowers from Tuesday. The first one is probably the same species as the sweat bee in the preceding post. Colorful fellows.The mite - not an insect so perhaps it doesn't belong here - is less than one mm long. Taken with a 3X Nikon Macrophot lens. The DOF is cellophane thin, but as this fellow was still alive and quite active, focus stacking was not an option. Notice the even smaller mite on its leg.

Attached Images

10-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #3887
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't think I ever said what's allowed in here but I did hope folks who took spider photos would put them in the spider thread.

Mites, are fine here too. Where was the mite when you found it?
10-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #3888
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I don't think I ever said what's allowed in here but I did hope folks who took spider photos would put them in the spider thread.

Mites, are fine here too. Where was the mite when you found it?
It was feeding on an insect that I had brought in to photograph, but had died rather quickly. I was slow discarding it because of distraction, and when I came to it there were quite a few of these tiny fellows feeding on the carcass.
10-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #3889
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A barely alive Beetle

Shield bug, about the size of a matchhead.

10-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #3890
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This one is working hard to get down to the good stuff.
Attached Images

10-15-2017, 08:26 AM - 4 Likes   #3891
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Perhaps Red-legged Grasshopper (Melanoplus femurrubrum)? The colour is often variable. Great shots, as usual.
Thanks! I was also thinking Melanoplus femurrubrum and had already tentatively tagged the photos with that species. I do find it surprising that the color would be that variable though...

My latest: two "hero-shot" focus stacks in my usual style and an environmental shot of a moth. First time spotting that species of leafhopper! Such a strange creature...

Macro season is pretty much over now. I still have a few shots in the processing pipeline, but I might not get anything new until the flakes arrive (and those aren't for this thread)...

10-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #3892
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Thanks! I was also thinking Melanoplus femurrubrum and had already tentatively tagged the photos with that species.
Several years ago when I was testing out my newly purchased macro lens I got a fairly decent pic of a beetle but couldn't identify it. I located Stephen Marshall at Guelph University on the Internet and asked him. His reply: "It's a Dogbane Beetle. It's on the cover of my book". I didn't know about the book ("Insects: their Natural History and Diversity, with a photographic guide to insects of Eastern North America") and was so embarrassed I went out and bought it (it's a real doorstopper and not cheap)! Since then it's been a very useful resource and now I notice there's a second edition, which I won't be buying anytime soon.

10-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #3893
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for heads up but like you, I won't be buying one any time soon. According to Amazon, it really isn't cheap.

Insects: Their Natural History and Diversity: With a Photographic Guide to Insects of Eastern North America: Stephen Marshall: 8601420202283: amazon.com: Books?tag=pentaxforums-20&
10-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #3894
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks for heads up but like you, I won't be buying one any time soon. According to Amazon, it really isn't cheap.
Your link is to the first edition (the one I have). The second edition has a dragonfly on the front.
10-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #3895
Pentaxian

Leica Colorplan-P 90/2.5 slide projection lens inserted into a Russian macro bellows on K-1 ...

10-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #3896
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #3897
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
. First time spotting that species of leafhopper! Such a strange creature...
Sometime GOOGLE images of tropical (Central/South American) leafhoppers if you'd like to see just how bizarre they can be.
10-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #3898
Pentaxian

This is alarming: Warning of 'ecological Armageddon' after dramatic plunge in insect numbers | Environment | The Guardian
10-22-2017, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #3899
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A colleague found this beetle on the balcony of the shopping center where I work, and promptly brought it to me wrapped in some toilet rolls.

From yesterdays visit to Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens- where some construction site has been blocked off with some (plastic) mesh, and I suspect it interfered with the movement of some insects- I found locusts, bees, ladybug, butterflies and Shield bugs on the mesh.

10-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #3900
Pentaxian

A largish beetle momentarily hung up on a blade of grass. It moved pretty quickly through this little jungle, but this momentary snag let me get a shot that mostly worked.