Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #3931
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
.I learn something new every time i'm here!
I've learned a lot after I started this thread seven years ago.

11-10-2017, 01:39 PM - 3 Likes   #3932
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not your typical bug shooting kit, the D FA 150-450 on the K-1.

On the precipice
by Chuck Campbell, on Flickr
11-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #3933
Pentaxian

We had our first snowfall here yesterday, so probably not much insect activity outdoors until spring. But indoors, we still have some subjects. There were a couple of these on our front porch. In fact they've been there for a few days, but I only got around to shooting them this morning. I'm guessing they are nymph stages of something or other, but no idea what. Looks like they have stumpy proto-wings on their backs. Body length is approximately 3mm. All shots are uncropped.

Reversed Kinotel 8mm movie camera lens on extension:

Reversed Vivitar 28mm f 2.8 (Cosina) on Vivitar 2xMacro Focusing Teleconverter at full extension. Frame width is about 5mm.

11-11-2017, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #3934
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another one of the katydid nymph I found last week.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
11-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #3935
Pentaxian

More of the 3mm mystery insect. Looks like there are at least half a dozen of these things on our front hallway window frames. I'm guessing they all hatched out together as their lack of fully functioning wings would seem to preclude their having flown in (which happens with plenty of other critters here). Seems terribly late in the season (November in Southwestern Ontario, Canada) for things to be hatching.

11-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #3936
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Seems terribly late in the season (November in Southwestern Ontario, Canada) for things to be hatching.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
11-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #3937
Pentaxian

I decided to try out an even higher magnification optic on the 3mm mystery critters. These were taken with a reversed Kinotar 6mm lens for 8mm movie cameras. No extension; lens was mounted to my K-S2 by way of a screw mount body cap and Pentax m42-PK adapter. I was able to partially brace the camera against the window frames the insects were on. Without bracing, achieving useful results hand held would be pretty much impossible. I used a small Kikkerland LED Clip On Light to aid focusing with live view/peaking. That helped a lot. I have to work out something to attach it to the camera so I'm not holding the camera in one hand and the light in the other. Uncropped. Field of view of horizontal shot is approximately 3mm wide, at a guess. Aperture used was f5.6 or f8, I think.

Last edited by Thagomizer; 11-12-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added some text
11-12-2017, 06:22 PM   #3938
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
the 3mm mystery critters.
Wow, very creative tinkering there! I think you need an entomologist. Start here
11-15-2017, 08:23 AM - 6 Likes   #3939
Veteran Member

Couple of reposts from other threads, then a couple of alternate takes of previously seen individuals. Hey, if portrait photographers can post 3-10 shots of the same person...

11-16-2017, 12:33 AM - 3 Likes   #3940
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some from Pilansberg, that I don't think I've posted.

11-16-2017, 12:46 AM   #3941
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice ones Noel. That second one sure is colorful. Do you know what it is? Some kind of shield bug perhaps?
11-17-2017, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #3942
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Checker spot butterflies. These and the white "cabbage butterflies" are the most abundant/common butterflies here about.
Attached Images

11-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #3943
Pentaxian

The persistence of the little front porch insects has allowed me to try a variety of lens combinations in photographing them. The set-up used for these shots was inspired by Johan J Ingles-Le Nobel's "Anybrand MP-E65" project. My version is simpler and probably a good deal less user friendly than the original idea. These were taken with an FA 28-80 f3.5-5.6 reversed directly onto my K-S2 (first two shots) or, for added fun onto, the Vivitar 2X Macro focusing TC. Lens was set at 28mm and f8 for all shots. Those taken with the V2XMFTC were taken at the TC's full extension. No automatic aperture as I did not employ anything as sophisticated as the clever "empty lens" concept advocated on Johan's site. Pixel peeping shows a lot of CA, and a lot of sensor dirt! The latter was cleaned up, the former left alone. All shots uncropped.

With the V2XMFTC:

These critters have now been in our front hallway for several weeks, and there seem to be more of them than ever! Curious.
11-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #3944
Pentaxian

REversed Kinotel f1.9, 1.5" cine lens for 8mm cameras, on approximately 150mm of extension. Taken at f5.6 or f8. All shots uncropped.

Small crane fly (?) judging by similarity of head and mouth anatomy to larger crane flies I shot in the summer.

There seems to be less CA than with the reversed zoom used in my previous post. I quite like the results I get from this lens. Small diameter gives more room for lighting and allows placing it into spots that might prevent the use of a larger optic. Still usable in the field, provided I shoot lots, as the DOF is very thin, making for demanding shooting with a lowish keeper rate when I'm being really critical. But when everything comes together, the pictures I get are very nice. Lots of fun to play with!

11-28-2017, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #3945
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's been quiet on this thread lately. Here is another katydid I found today. Apparently katydids prefer the spend their time on blooming basil. The 3rd pic is simply a crop of the previous pic--I felt the colors on the katydid were worth taking a closer look at. Can anyone identify the tiny insect in the 4th pic? Tam90/k70.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by Knock; 11-28-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling