Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6154 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #4051
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The only threads SFAIK where a Pentax camera is a must are the weekly challenges, some of the contests, and the camera-dedicated threads such as "Post your K1 pictures," or "K3 sample shots...post here!" I have posted images taken with Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, and Olympus cameras. Use whatever exposes your sensor.
Any thematic thread started by an individual member, *me* can say which cameras are allowed. Thematic threads can be limited if the starting member deems so. It's not set in the rules that it has to be open to other cameras.

03-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #4052
Pentaxian

I will have to try macro snowflake shots some day. It would help keep me in practice between bug seasons. Each subject has its attractions, challenges and advantages: bugs don't melt and snowflakes don't run away.
03-08-2018, 03:02 AM - 2 Likes   #4053
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got some. I've been photographing lady beetles too Noel. It's not that I'm copying you - well actually, maybe a little bit - you know imitation and flattery and all that... But seriously I was talking with someone from Durban today, and he said that Johannesburg and Brisbane have similar climates, but Brisbane is more humid in the summer months. Might explain why we often seem to be seeing the same insects at the same time.

I took these with my K5 and a Vivitar AF 100mm f3.5 macro, thinking I had just swapped out a Kenko MC 3+ close up filter for a Kenko Pro1D 5+ filter (AC and MC). Picking the camera up off the kitchen bench later (gotta find a better way to store all these things - had to crop out the peanut butter stains on the sensor from these) I noticed that I had in fact stacked the 2 filters. I've done that with older filters before and decided I it wasn't worth it, but these aren't too bad;

I'm surprised I still got this much depth of field, and might start looking out for a Kenko 10+ AC filter. I've just also posted these in the new Picture of the Week thread.
03-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #4054
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Welcome in here Richard. We have ladybugs here in Florida too. Those are some nice shots. I have problems getting them to face me.

I couldn't find your lens in our database. You said it's AF? Are you using it on AF?

Raynox adapters are popular here on the forums for macro work. I use one, so does Noel.

Btw, we have lots of Ozzies here too. i'm a honorary Ozzie myself.

03-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #4055
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Photolady. I've been very impressed by what I've seen Noel and others do with the Raynox, but having started down the path of the Kenko close ups will probably continue with it to see what more I can get. The lens is a rebadged Cosina (Cosina 100mm F3.5 MC Makro Lens Reviews - Cosina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database), and I think both it and the current crop of Kenko close up filters are sharper (unstacked) than you'd think from these photos.I'm usually more interested in close up than macro, but did want to get the faces and more detail on the limbs of these fellows. I used manual focus, and spent an hour or two crawling around in my very unmown front lawn to get these shots.

I did notice, and have other less show-worthy shots of, the beetles seemingly feeding off the flowers on the grass heads, and I'm not sure they weren't actively feeding on aphids (? - other small insects often seen on roses) as well. I think that's why so many suddenly appeared with the flowering grass.

My general impression is that your Florida climate is a bit more towards the tropical than ours in Brisbane (books, movies etc). Were in a funny situation, half mediterranean-temperate half subtropical. We get cool (but not cold - occasional frosts only) dry winters and warmer wetter summers, often catching the tail end of the monsoon as tropical depressions moving south as they die out.

Edit - the shots above were taken in TAv mode with shutter speed of 1/125th, aperture of f14, and ISO varying from 1000 or 1250 to 1600 (it was overcast), and have had some pp in Topaz Studio. I'm only shooting in Raw at the moment.

Last edited by rjbrett; 03-08-2018 at 05:40 PM.
03-09-2018, 02:56 AM   #4056
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took a few more shots this morning with a recently arrived Pentax DA 55 - 300mm. These were taken at 1/500th of a second, f13, and about ISO 500;

- I was particularly pleased to catch the wasp as that's something I haven't managed to date.

Last edited by rjbrett; 03-09-2018 at 03:05 AM.
03-09-2018, 06:23 AM   #4057
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
More nice shots from you Richard.

Thanks for answering my question about AF because a lot of people don't understand that shooting macro and getting the close shots they should get, using MF is best.

As for Florida's climate we're mostly tropical but we have our cold months where insects hide when it comes about. My home is in the middle of the state on the east coast.
My mother planted some tropical plants that I know are known to grow in Australia, i.e., Bromeliads, Bottle brush, etc. others that have been posted here on the forum in PYP by eaglem and I can't remember the name of at the moment. LOL

I used to crawl around on the our lawn, we have an extensive lawn to find insects in and under, and around.

On which gear/lenses I've used, I started out with a set of Hoya close up lens, used them for years. then after I moved back home, I got into using the Raynox adapters, and a Sigma 70-300mm with macro setting, until I found a Tamron SP Adaptall 2, 90mm PK lens. Now I alternate between the 90mm and the Raynox (this if I want closer ups of insects). For lighting, I used to use a AF201FG that had a diffuser on the front (homemade), then I bought a Bolt ringflash though I have not used it much, and am waiting for warmer weather.

03-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #4058
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
As for Florida's climate we're mostly tropical but we have our cold months where insects hide when it comes about. My home is in the middle of the state on the east coast.
A minor anecdote. The first time we went to Florida, to Disney World, a trip that was a gift from me to the family and a great extravagance on our expenses at the time, we arrived on New Year's day immediately following a record cold spell. Deep frost the night before, New Year's Eve, had nipped every flower in "The Kingdom" so that all of them were wilted and nearly colorless. We were ill-prepared, and one of the first things we had to do was buy our daughter a light jacket as the outerwear we brought from MessyChewBits was far too hot.
03-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #4059
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
That reminds me of when I first went to Minnesota to check if I wanted to live there. I arrived in May and my t-shirts weren't warm enough. I had to buy a heavy coat to stay warm.
Orlando gets colder than we do here. Living up north, your blood gets thicker and the more you live where I do, my blood thinned out so cold here, is cold to me and I wear a coat I bought in Texas (my other adventure that lasted four years).
03-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #4060
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you get an AF lens, you can use it in MF. There's a switch on the body and some have switches on the camera.
When I'm in the field I use autofocus most of the time. You need to practice with it, and understand how it works not just with the camera but with the lens on the camera.
Insects like bees don't sit still very often, and I'm not fast enough with the focus ring to match what the AF can do.
03-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #4061
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Insects like bees don't sit still very often, and I'm not fast enough with the focus ring to match what the AF can do.
I don't use the focus ring at all. I use the method stated by many macro shooters. Set lens to close focus, and move in and out, the camera and yourself, if need be, then when the insect is in focus, press the shutter button or shutter release cable button. If you use AF in the field, you're changing the field of view.
03-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #4062
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I don't use the focus ring at all. I use the method stated by many macro shooters. Set lens to close focus, and move in and out, the camera and yourself, if need be, then when the insect is in focus, press the shutter button or shutter release cable button. If you use AF in the field, you're changing the field of view.
Come out with me sometime and we'll see who gets more good shots. These critters don't pose. I only have one mosquito shirt, so you'll need to get your own.
I'm just saying techniques need to fit the goals. If I tried a manual method on most subjects, I'd never get a shot. If a bumble is feeding on a coneflower, that's one thing, but most of the time the action is too fast.

If a dragonfly is sunning or guarding, yeah, the manual is invaluable. I can switch quickly.
03-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #4063
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
You have your way, I have mine. Mine works for me. I get lots shots when the insects are here using MF. I'm not coming to your house so I'll just keep doing it my way. I've never had a problem getting moving subjects using MF bees and wasps or whatever the subject. As for a mosquito shirt, skeeters don't bite me.
03-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #4064
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At home they're not such a problem, but head into the marshy areas along woods and the mosquitoes are pretty thick. The plants there are different from the high prairie plants, so it's worth heading into those areas. Of course, the woods are where most mosquitoes hang out, so that prairie/woods border gets hazardous.

Catching in-flight images are typically manual prefocus, but occasionally I get lucky and one crosses the plane as I'm photographing other things. Plus, sometimes it's pretty obvious where the insect is heading.
03-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #4065
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't need marshes to find skeeters. They're in my yard. I live close to a river, and skeeters breed in the open oyster, and clam shells that are on the edge of that river, from left rain water. My yard in the summer time has plants that hold water, that skeeters breed in. If I go out early in the morning, while it's still fairly cool, the bugs are out eating, and the bees are not moving so fast. Neither are flies, dragons and others. I still maintain that using AF you'll not get your super close up macro. LOL

Part of my backyard: