Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6153 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 02:27 AM   #4066
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks fine insect-worthy terrain in that yard there! - I tend to lean or move in and out to get focus. I did try the AF on this lens when I first got it TER-OR, and it does work on larger objects, but then turned AF off on the camera body. The drive makes some noise but I think it's the loud sharp "Thwak" it makes when it achieves focus that would scare anything living. It is largely made of plastic, and was an earlier AF model. I'm not having much trouble with manual focus - it might catch slightly as I'm turning the ring occasionally.

Might sound funny but I don't think I'm really good enough yet for AF - tried it briefly when I got the stock 18-55 with my camera a bit under a year ago, and have been happily distracted with older manual focus gear since then. I'm sure I'll get back to it as some stage, and learn how to use it properly. I bought this lens a short while ago because I wanted the extra reach over my M42 50mm macros, and also the automatic functions that come with the A setting. That's progress of a sort I guess. It's taken a few weeks to get used to that extra reach, but I'm starting to feel more at home with it.

I'll be interested to hear how you go with the Bolt photolady - I've been following the thread, and wondering how I might approach flash lighting when I get there.

03-10-2018, 07:54 AM   #4067
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Do you use M mode on the camera also? The twack you're hearing could be the AF drive motor activating when turning the focus ring. I shoot in M mode and MF for camera settings. I came to digital after using film cameras for years.
My backyard is larger than the photo I posted. My house sits on two lots and I have half as much front yard as I do back yard. There are flowers and trees growing in the front yard, and trees and bushes, and flowers in the back yard. It's also where I feed the birds and squirrels.
03-11-2018, 06:23 AM   #4068
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I have switched the camera (on the body) to MF, and am actually turning the mode dial to TAv as the lens has that A setting, and am hoping that this will allow me to track subjects without much more than an occasional check on the settings I”ve entered and pictures I’m getting. The noise I’m hearing is the lens reaching it’s calculated focus point – others have commented on it in the reviews here, and on other sites. That’s OK by me – I didn’t buy it for AF ability. Happily the AF does work if I want to use it. I had a run of OM bodies then Canons through the 80s and 90s also, and have only just come back to it with a DSLR.

That does sound a nice yard and garden, and they are valuable things to have. This house and garden are actually my mothers’, but she’s moved into residential care now, and I and my siblings will have to sell up at some stage. I’ve let the garden go over the last couple of years as I’ve had other priorities, and am seeing fewer flowers and birds, but a whole new interesting range of insects!

I have thought of setting up a trap and light outside to see what I could catch overnight, but that would be some trouble, take them out of their context, and I doubt I’d have the time to do it properly. I’m just opportunistically snapping away at the moment as I can…..

---------- Post added 03-11-18 at 06:59 AM ----------

Some more photos from the weekend. I've managed to identify them this time using the new, to me, brisbaneinsects website - a family run concern that gives references and accepts donations for site maintenance and photo equipment. Looks good!

The first five were taken with the DA 55-300 pulled back from 300 a bit, and at a shutter speed of 1/1000th of a second. It would be nice to stop the wings in their motion so next time I'll try for 1/2000th of a second. The first is a Common Eggfly Butterfly - we do get a few here so I'll keep trying to get a better shot. The next three are common honeybees, and the 5th is a blue banded bee. It was good to catch these in flight - I haven't done that before. The last photo is of a Paddy Bug, and was taken with the Vivitar AF 100mm f3.5 macro with the Kenko Pro1D +5 AC close up filter. I'm seeing a few of these in the grass as well.

03-11-2018, 12:04 PM - 3 Likes   #4069
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From today

Checking out my options

03-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #4070
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photography is part skill, and in that whatever route you choose to get a shot if you practise that method you'll get better at it and more successes. Having said that there are a variety of ways to get shots, and not every method will be right across the board. Having spent a significant amount of my life in the UK, and then also here in Australia I can definitely say that the wildlife varies (species to species) in terms of 'posing/being still'. Your dragonfly might sit longer than my one on the other side of the globe etc. Certainly in Australia the insect world is larger, which helps in getting a nice macro shot. So I think it's hard to compare techniques also in this regard as the conditions shift slightly depending on where you are.

One thing I would like to test out is CIF (Capture In Focus), unfortunately I have no macro MF lens that I can test this feature out on. I really wish they added that AF/MF switch on the DFA 100mm Macro to use for this purpose. Does anyone here use CIF for the insect world?
03-11-2018, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #4071
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've used CIF with my Tamron 90mm Adaptall 2 lens. I prefer my other method. CIF would probably work better on Bees and dragonflies, but not so good with crawling insects.
03-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #4072
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't used CIF very much and could not get the focus where I wanted it when I did, but I have not put much time into using CIF to perfect the technique.

I was not aware that CIF could not be used on the D FA 100 WR, I see that now. Pentax should be able to fix that in firmware, though, a mode for "CIF with AF lens". Not sure the technical challenges, though.

03-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #4073
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
I haven't used CIF very much and could not get the focus where I wanted it when I did, but I have not put much time into using CIF to perfect the technique.

I was not aware that CIF could not be used on the D FA 100 WR, I see that now. Pentax should be able to fix that in firmware, though, a mode for "CIF with AF lens". Not sure the technical challenges, though.
It's not possible on any Pentax with any AF lens, that is unless the lens has that AF/MF switch. It's actually a really handy feature (think of a kid swinging on a swing coming towards you, captures great focus everytime they move/swing into the focus point). But I have to switch to a MF lens to achieve that.
I really don't think its an easy fix, otherwise they'd well and truly done it by now. It's one of the reasons I will aim for lenses (aimed at macro or portrait) at having a AF/MF switch (like the DA55* or the new DFA 50 that's coming out).
03-12-2018, 05:15 AM   #4074
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wasn't aware that switching to manual focus on the body still didn't enable cif

No body at the minute to check that out.
(Stuck in a couriers depot)
03-12-2018, 05:21 AM   #4075
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dick897 Quote
I wasn't aware that switching to manual focus on the body still didn't enable cif No body at the minute to check that out. (Stuck in a couriers depot)
To use CIF you have to set the switch on the side of the camera to AF.S and that doesn't work if your lens is AF.
03-12-2018, 06:10 AM   #4076
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
Just a note that the slightly older non-WR DFA100 Macro and its cosmetic cousin the DFA50mm Macro both have focus clamps. These lock the focus ring, but also act as an AF/MF switch and disable AF when engaged, so you can easily use these lenses for CiF.

I've also wondered why CiF couldn't be controlled in camera for AF lenses. Who knows for sure, but it's hard to imagine it would be a difficult thing to do. Some resources needed to modify the firmware of course, but once done you'd have it going forward.
03-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #4077
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
We, as in some of us, discussed this when I asked if I could use CIF on AF lenses. The reason I asked this question in the Lens forum was I have a Sigma 400mm AF f5.6 that the AF gear inside is broken. Since the camera has to set to AF..S trying to use CIF would engage the AF capabilities. And obviously, that won't work.

A few people said they use Focus Peaking in place of CIF for auto focus lenses which when implicated, uses live view.

Linky to discussion I talked about above.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/344938-i-h...-question.html

Last edited by photolady95; 03-12-2018 at 06:48 AM.
03-12-2018, 07:02 AM   #4078
Veteran Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but KC0PET was pondering why a firmware change wouldn't be possible to allow CiF with AF lenses, I was continuing along that line. I'm aware of how CiF currently doesn't work with AF lenses without workarounds (like pressing the lens release button to disengage the screw drive).
03-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #4079
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was responding to dick not you Brian..
03-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #4080
Veteran Member

Ahh, your post was right after mine and didn't quote him, I guess I was confused.