Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6153 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #4291
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Dragonfly..........K50, Kiron 105 Macro.............
Bluestringer live that dragon fly.

06-03-2018, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #4292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three images of a butterfly, one of several, that was settling on this ugly road surface. They were feeding on something,probably salt or some other mineral. You may be able to see the proboscis extended in the images below.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #4293
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Vert interesting. Would never think they would do that.
You captured the color very well.
06-03-2018, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #4294
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Monarch Caterpillar, K-1 and Sigma 180 Macro

06-03-2018, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #4295
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Vert interesting. Would never think they would do that.
You captured the color very well.
Quite a few butterflies will take up minerals from the ground surface, sometimes (commonly?) where there's a bit of water. Some species will congregate in substantial numbers at a ground-feeding spot. We saw butterflies in Hawaii that gathered at tidal pools along the seashore apparently to get some minerals. I used the word "salt," "minerals" is better although there is no one collective term for what they might be after = sodium, chlorine, potassium, phosphorus in the form of phosphate, nitrogen in the form of ammonia, amino or nitrate, possibly iron, sulfur or even zinc (needed in minute amounts for certain enzymes). Sugary nectar can lack many atoms or bonded atom groups required by animals.
06-04-2018, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4296
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just discovered a new bee, Chelostoma rapunculi, in our bluebells. It's interesting, because this species feeds exclusively on bluebell-pollen. Bluebells are becoming rare in the wild in Denmark - but luckily we have garden bluebells, and they seem to be good enough!
06-04-2018, 06:02 AM - 5 Likes   #4297
Pentaxian

The thread popped at the top of "Recent Posts." and I have an image.

K-3 and DFA 100 macro 2.8 WR.

06-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #4298
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
I just discovered a new bee, Chelostoma rapunculi, in our bluebells. It's interesting, because this species feeds exclusively on bluebell-pollen. Bluebells are becoming rare in the wild in Denmark - but luckily we have garden bluebells, and they seem to be good enough!
The abundance and distribution of some plants is changing. Yesterday I went an hour's drive to a sanctuary that is the only spot I know of reasonably nearby to find yellow and showy lady slippers. Last time I was there, perhaps 25 years back, there were scores of both species blooming in late May to early June. This year, not a single specimen of either, including no leaves which are distinctive and easy to spot. There were pink lady slippers in modest numbers, but those can be seen all over the place. We found many, many of them blooming along several places where we routinely walk our dog, a better crop this year than I can remember seeing. I've also not as yet seen any trout lilies blooming, including several places where I've observed and photographed them within the past five years.
06-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #4299
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The abundance and distribution of some plants is changing. Yesterday I went an hour's drive to a sanctuary that is the only spot I know of reasonably nearby to find yellow and showy lady slippers. Last time I was there, perhaps 25 years back, there were scores of both species blooming in late May to early June. This year, not a single specimen of either, including no leaves which are distinctive and easy to spot. There were pink lady slippers in modest numbers, but those can be seen all over the place. We found many, many of them blooming along several places where we routinely walk our dog, a better crop this year than I can remember seeing. I've also not as yet seen any trout lilies blooming, including several places where I've observed and photographed them within the past five years.
We've only one species of lady slippers in Denmark, and it has exactly one location left, which has been fenced off. Last year collectors broke through the fence and stole most of the remaining plants!

At least for Denmark the reason we are losing rare plants is fairly obvious - we have allocated nearly all of our land surface to agriculture. Denmark and Eritrea share 1st place as the countries on the planet with the greatest proportion arable land, and we are the country in Europe with the lowest proportion of protected nature. Bluebells used to grow along road verges, but these days everything is fertilized to the point where you get only tall grass and nettles along the roads...
06-04-2018, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #4300
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
We've only one species of lady slippers in Denmark, and it has exactly one location left, which has been fenced off. Last year collectors broke through the fence and stole most of the remaining plants!

At least for Denmark the reason we are losing rare plants is fairly obvious - we have allocated nearly all of our land surface to agriculture. Denmark and Eritrea share 1st place as the countries on the planet with the greatest proportion arable land, and we are the country in Europe with the lowest proportion of protected nature. Bluebells used to grow along road verges, but these days everything is fertilized to the point where you get only tall grass and nettles along the roads...
Pardon me for blowing one of my horns: Too many people spoil anything and everything.
06-04-2018, 07:51 PM - 5 Likes   #4301
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A pollinator but I came across this thread first.

06-05-2018, 10:07 AM - 7 Likes   #4302
Pentaxian

I'm having waaaay too much fun with my reversed 18-55 II! First, from yesterday:

A midge, I believe. This is a combination of two images stitched together.

...and a little closer. Just one frame this time.

A small bee on a daisy.

And from this morning, an ant that was slow enough for me to get some keepers.

06-05-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #4303
Pentaxian

No wonder your having fun, you're getting great images. How close do you have to be and what aperture is that? I assume reversed its set at f22? How do you focus?
06-05-2018, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #4304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
No wonder your having fun, you're getting great images. How close do you have to be and what aperture is that? I assume reversed its set at f22? How do you focus?
Thanks!

Working distance is about 45mm at 18mm (basically Pentax film to flange registration distance). The aperture is wedged open somewhere in the middle of the range using a section of coton swab plastic tubing, so actual aperture is anybody's guess. Focus is acheived by moving camera and lens back and forth as a unit. Focus peaking helps a lot. All these are handheld shots; on a tripod, a macro rail or slider would allow for much more precisely placed plane of focus. The combination of breezes and slightly shaky hands can lead to a lot of deleted images, but when they work, I'm really happy with the results. After using this lens for a while, going back to a 1:1 lens feels too far away, but automatic diaphragm is sure nice to come home to.

Last week, someone else beat me to it and posted a link to this article I wrote for Photography Life. Since it's actually relevent to this thread and this comment, I'll post it again:

https://photographylife.com/reverse-lens-technique-for-macro-photography
06-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #4305
Pentaxian

Got a 404 error.
I have a few lens to lens rings. I use older lenses with aperture rings on the end. Dof is so thin i rarely use them.