Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6153 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #4396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Lucky to get this, I was more after capturing the blooming wild garlic
We all have our share of surprises. That looks like a member of the Ladybird beetle family aka Cochinella.
It's a fantastic image.

06-22-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #4397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you! I'm still a bit surprised that they are around, in the middle of winter.
06-22-2018, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #4398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Thank you! I'm still a bit surprised that they are around, in the middle of winter.
In temperate regions Coccinella enter a diapause, overwintering as adults. In the US we find the invasive Asian species in our houses. The natives tend not to go inside, but have their own places to overwinter in bark, leaf litter, wood etc. Of course in tropical regions they don't need to do this.

Many insects diapause, it's why you will see adult butterflies and moths in the very early spring. Bumblebee queens overwinter this way as well as numerous other bee species following the "foundress" strategy.
06-22-2018, 01:23 PM - 5 Likes   #4399
Pentaxian

Perhaps not the prettiest creature out there, but still...

06-22-2018, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #4400
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Perhaps not the prettiest creature out there, but still...
Beautiful? - in the eyes of.... Fascinating creature masterfully done photo? for sure.

Here's a beetle, adequately done. (Voigtlander 180mm + Raynox 150)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-22-2018, 05:27 PM - 2 Likes   #4401
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Than beetle looks like a tank!

a group hatched today. Wish I could have seen it. They are already shy and ran under the leaf as I was snapping.

This is my favorite of the damselflys in my yard. 2 are quite tame. the blue and this one, the greener one not so much. This one has lots of mites sucking on it. They are now on both sides only four on this side.
06-22-2018, 07:52 PM - 3 Likes   #4402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very camouflaged...grasshopper?

06-23-2018, 04:36 AM - 2 Likes   #4403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some small insects, taken at approximately 1:1 macro with Sigma 50mm F2.8 on K-5. I apologise for camera shake, I am a bit shakey.
I recognise that one is an Ant, the others?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-23-2018, 05:12 AM - 2 Likes   #4404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was pretty sure these were Ladybeetle larva when I took the photos over summer, but not certain what species. I sent the pics into the Queensland Museum who got back to me just a little while ago to confirm that these were the larva of Coelophora inaequalis of Family Coccinellidae, or Common Australian or Variable Ladybeetles;

06-23-2018, 06:38 PM - 2 Likes   #4405
Pentaxian

I didn't get much today. Partly because last night I was catching the possum. I forgot ISO 400 and 1/60 at f10 Is good for dark night possum but not so good for flash macro. There wasn't much today being it was to hot. I got the damselfly again because as soon as I crouched down it flew up to me. It almost lets me touch it now.
So here is the butterfly I got and those eggs I posted a few days ago. Some have hatched and there are embryos in some. I took shots at different times of the day but never caught one hatching.

06-24-2018, 04:23 AM   #4406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quick, quick! Open any random thread and post a comment - several comments - many comments on any random image. Post something irrelevant on any thread.. We've posted only a bit over 73% of the number of posts needed for someone to get a free K1, but almost 77% of the month is gone (23/30) and at my location, 1/4 of today is gone. We need to post vigorously, excessively for just one week. Do it! I don't need the camera, but I'd sure like to see someone get it.

Think I'll sign off for a while. I've posted this admonition on so many threads my finger tips are getting sore.
06-24-2018, 04:36 AM   #4407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Quick, quick! Open any random thread and post a comment - several comments - many comments on any random image. Post something irrelevant on any thread.. We've posted only a bit over 73% of the number of posts needed for someone to get a free K1, but almost 77% of the month is gone (23/30) and at my location, 1/4 of today is gone. We need to post vigorously, excessively for just one week. Do it! I don't need the camera, but I'd sure like to see someone get it.

Think I'll sign off for a while. I've posted this admonition on so many threads my finger tips are getting sore.
I’m doing a biggining! I agree it’s a pity if those 3 cameras won’t find a home...
06-24-2018, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #4408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Locust
06-24-2018, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #4409
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote

...and you should have said "Presto" instead of "quick"!
06-24-2018, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #4410
Pentaxian

well I caught an egg hatching. I still don't know what it is. the egg was less than a mm in diameter. Those legs are about an eyelash thick. with wind at f19 it took several tries to get close to focus. I could cheat and pick and stabilize the leaf but that changes the environment so this is what I got. Rotate 90 ccw for last pictures orientation.