Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6153 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2019, 03:45 AM - 3 Likes   #5206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Green Jumping spider, K5 & Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 on 11mm ext tube, and heavily cropped. Previously posted on last weeks' Picture of the Week.

01-20-2019, 05:16 AM   #5207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
Green Jumping spider, K5 & Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 on 11mm ext tube, and heavily cropped. Previously posted on last weeks' Picture of the Week.

Not an easy subject with a 50mm macro. Well done.
01-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #5208
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dLSK Quote
I've had macro tubes for a few years, they are fun. Near end of summer this past ( 2018 ) and old friend of my dad's gave me some Nikon lenses. Straight to Ebay for an adapter later lol. One of them is a near mint 90mm macro.

First time using an actual macro lens was a learning afternoon, that's for sure
I believe you will like having a true macro lens. I haven't used extension tubes in at least 20 years.
01-20-2019, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #5209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These roly-poly leggy beetles were by far the most common insects I saw in Namibia, at least in the daytime.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
01-20-2019, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #5210

Terrifying photos. I've took this with 50mm 1.7 + macro extension tube
Attached Images

01-20-2019, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #5211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cone-headed grasshopper, female. I've cropped off about half of her very long ovipositor.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #5212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
Splitting taxonomical hairs here but there is a spider thread for spider images - it's a nice shot and should be in there!

01-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #5213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Not an easy subject with a 50mm macro. Well done.

Thanks! - on a behavioural note I got lucky as this one was preoccupied with the larger web & contents behind it when I first saw it, not sure if I was a threat when I approached with the camera and lens, and hesitated for the two long minutes I needed to focus and flip the A/M switch.

---------- Post added 01-21-19 at 03:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Splitting taxonomical hairs here but there is a spider thread for spider images - it's a nice shot and should be in there!
What's an extra pair of legs between friends ? - It's been quite warm and dry here in Brisbane these last two months or so, and I'm not seeing the number or range of insects I saw last year. The Gums and Lillypillys, and other native plants in the surrounding streets and suburban gardens, are slow to flower, or giving it a miss altogether. I think these are a major drawcard for insects in good years.

Found the thread and duly reposted, thanks.
01-21-2019, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #5214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geometrid Moth Caterpillar
01-23-2019, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #5215
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive.

Bruce, that is one weird looking caterpillar. I clicked on the Flickr version blew it up and sure has a funny looking face.

Since my brothers moved in, my nephew no longer has control on what gets put on the lawn, as far as weed killer goes, so may be this year, I'll see some bugs.

I finally got a P/KA adapter for my Tamron Adaptall 2 sp 90mm 1:1 macro lens too.
01-23-2019, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #5216

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
I believe you will like having a true macro lens. I haven't used extension tubes in at least 20 years.
Yes, the few times I've played around with it, I realized pretty quickly it's so much better than the tubes
01-23-2019, 06:14 AM   #5217
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dLSK Quote
Yes, the few times I've played around with it, I realized pretty quickly it's so much better than the tubes
I agree 100%. I too tried tubes to start with and having a dedicated macro lens made all the difference in the world when it came to macro shots. So much easier, and more light too.
01-23-2019, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #5218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is now and always was extremely difficult to use in the field are bellows, even when equipped with some kind of aperture-operating mechanism. Do any of the major DSLR manufacturers offer a bellows any more? BTW: this was done to demonstrate the amount of extension needed to match the reproduction ratio of a clip-on Raynox lens used on a 200mm optic.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #5219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive.

Bruce, that is one weird looking caterpillar. I clicked on the Flickr version blew it up and sure has a funny looking face.

Since my brothers moved in, my nephew no longer has control on what gets put on the lawn, as far as weed killer goes, so may be this year, I'll see some bugs.

I finally got a P/KA adapter for my Tamron Adaptall 2 sp 90mm 1:1 macro lens too.
Caterpillar!? More like Satan's Creepy Crawler from Hell! I wasn't out looking for macro stuff, in fact I was shooting landscape waterfalls, and just as I was leaving this 'thing' caught my eye. It's absolutely tiny, about an inch long only and at first I greeted it with more of a "why hello there little guy" and proceeded to snap it with the only macro lens I had at the time (the Lensbaby Velvet 56). Upon inspection of the shots my mood turned to fondness to "Argh get back! get back! <makes cross sign with tripods>, what the hell are you evil spawn thing"?!.

It is better on flickr with a small amount of zooming in >

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
What is now and always was extremely difficult to use in the field are bellows, even when equipped with some kind of aperture-operating mechanism. Do any of the major DSLR manufacturers offer a bellows any more? BTW: this was done to demonstrate the amount of extension needed to match the reproduction ratio of a clip-on Raynox lens used on a 200mm optic.
Very steam punk! Me like! Where can I get one
01-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #5220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ants farming aphids on Cow Parsnip. A great plant, but like many parsnips it has a sensitizing oil, so be careful.